Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:25am
Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:23am
Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night. :disshame:
So you're saying it'll be fine by tomorrow?
What? You've never seen All About Eve? That's a fine Bette Davis quote right there.
I only recognize Star Wars quotes. :disshame:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:32am
Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:25am
Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:23am
Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night. :disshame:
So you're saying it'll be fine by tomorrow?
What? You've never seen All About Eve? That's a fine Bette Davis quote right there.
I only recognize Star Wars quotes. :disshame:
There, there. S'all right. But you should watch that movie. Classic Davis.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I didn't hate Obama. He did awful, unforgivable acts and was a fool in his tactics when dealing with the banal evil bullies of the Republican Party. But I think he was acting out of a genuine belief he was doing good and, for some reason, when you're the head of an organisation that tends constantly to flashy, ugly use of expensive power, that matters. To me, in any case. But I hate the new President. I hate him so much, it uses up my energy. I hate him in what he is and what he represents.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 11:00am
I didn't hate Obama. He did awful, unforgivable acts and was a fool in his tactics when dealing with the banal evil bullies of the Republican Party. But I think he was acting out of a genuine belief he was doing good and, for some reason, when you're the head of an organisation that tends constantly to flashy, ugly use of expensive power, that matters. To me, in any case. But I hate the new President. I hate him so much, it uses up my energy. I hate him in what he is and what he represents.
Well put.

Biggest strikes against him were ramping up drone strikes and killing tons of innocent people (and winning the Nobel Peace Prize at the same time). Illegal immigrant deportations also went way up, I believe. Affordable Care Act and ARRA were way smaller scale than they should have been. Those were two huge missed opportunities. Then of course the continued globalization that left portions of the country further behind and alienated to the point that they'd vote for the worst candidate in my lifetime. (Note, I'm not anti-globalization, just acknowledging that our country failed to take care of the communities affected by it)

But yeah, he did seem to sincerely want to work with Republicans to move the country forward and was blindly and foolishly stopped over and over again. He also commanded respect and dignity that the commander and chief really should have. That doesn't help people out really, but it makes other countries more likely to want to work with us.

Who knows how the fuck the next four years are going to be. His cabinet is shockingly bad. Just woefully inept.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From what I understood about Obama the man, no, there was little to hate. Intelligent, sincere, disciplined, and charismatic. But Reagan was also likeable on a personal level, so I don't especially care about that. So much of the wailing and moaning about the Obamas' departure is this loss of manners and grace. Isn't that like when those of us on the left or liberals mocked W. supporters because he was the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with? It's really minor.

If he weren't liberal on cultural manners and stylish, and if he were a Republican, what we'd be focusing on more is the greater economic stratification, expansion of executive power, prosecution of whistleblowers and the press, drone strikes, the continued existence of Guantanamo, the rise of fascism in Europe, and ever-more turmoil in the Middle East. Even tho Trump will be worse, it's hard to make a case that Obama was anything but the continuation of an ugly status quo begun with Carter. Even the ACA was more bandaid than actual cure for the inhumane, market-driven attitude toward healthcare in the US. As Chris Hayes and Thomas Frank have each argued, Obama was part of that meritocratic liberalism that has made the US more of a winners and losers society. He, like the two Bushes and Bill Clinton, nurtured the conditions that have resulted in Trump. It's hard to celebrate any of that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Many people are unaware that a young Donald Trump appeared on the cover of a book called The De-evolution of Mankind, published in Scarfolk by Pelican Books in 1975.

From the introduction:
"Scientists predict that, at some point in the early 21st century, humans will stop evolving and will start the process of de-evolution. Several signs will herald this decline:
i. People will stop reading books. It's estimated that the length of an average book will be eighteen words, including the title and copyright page.
ii. Increasingly, people will only vote for leaders who can communicate using an abbreviated, primitive dialect, a sort of "Dunce Patois" in which whole sentences will be reduced to single words: "True!", "Bad!", "Shame!", etc.
iii. The distinction between the real and the imaginary will be lost and fictional characters will ascend to the highest posts of office.
iv. Human hands will shrink through inactivity and will become little more than tiny, feeble scoops [...]

[...] The mighty space stations we once imagined in our future will drift unpopulated because the knowledge required to reach them will have been either outlawed or carelessly forgotten. The threadbare remnants of mankind will scrabble around a dying earth, daubing themselves with orange mud to avoid being burned due to the global overheating they said would never happen. We will return to this development in Chapter 4, which is entitled 'Consummate Dickheads'."
https://scarfolk.blogspot.ca/2017/01/th ... lican.html

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 12:04pm
From what I understood about Obama the man, no, there was little to hate. Intelligent, sincere, disciplined, and charismatic. But Reagan was also likeable on a personal level, so I don't especially care about that. So much of the wailing and moaning about the Obamas' departure is this loss of manners and grace. Isn't that like when those of us on the left or liberals mocked W. supporters because he was the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with? It's really minor.

If he weren't liberal on cultural manners and stylish, and if he were a Republican, what we'd be focusing on more is the greater economic stratification, expansion of executive power, prosecution of whistleblowers and the press, drone strikes, the continued existence of Guantanamo, the rise of fascism in Europe, and ever-more turmoil in the Middle East. Even tho Trump will be worse, it's hard to make a case that Obama was anything but the continuation of an ugly status quo begun with Carter. Even the ACA was more bandaid than actual cure for the inhumane, market-driven attitude toward healthcare in the US. As Chris Hayes and Thomas Frank have each argued, Obama was part of that meritocratic liberalism that has made the US more of a winners and losers society. He, like the two Bushes and Bill Clinton, nurtured the conditions that have resulted in Trump. It's hard to celebrate any of that.
I agree - the figurehead at the top of a thoroughly rotten system is immaterial.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for him to get impeached? (wishful thinking, I know)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 1:02pm
Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for him to get impeached? (wishful thinking, I know)
It's not an implausible scenario. Trump has no actual friendships and loyalties in Congress—indeed, he's proven a willingness to attack Republicans whenever it suits his interests—so if a scandal emerges that threatens the electoral chances of Republicans in 2018 or 2020, yeah, they'll toss him. Out of fidelity to the Constitution, of course. Plus Pence is more in their club anyway. He'll provide plenty of opportunities for impeachment, but it'll come down to the polls. Which is pretty much what happened with Nixon—personally disliked by Congressional Republicans, but they stood with him until their own survival was threatened, plus Ford was one of their own.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 11:00am
Very well put. And I loved Michelle and the girls. It's hard to see such a family go, especially when we now have this shit show. This is a bad, bad day.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Amazing — Wolt's Cap drawing at the rally:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm proud to say I knew him when he was an unknown Lost Causer, drinking Dixie beer outside a shotgun shack by a swamp. Now he's a famous Lost Causer, drinking Dixie beer outside a shotgun shack by a swamp. :approve: (Seriously, tho, that's way cool that your talent has been applied like that.)

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Yay Wolt!!!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Fantastic!
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Are you suing? There might be some dime in this for you.

I am glad to be out of the country for a bit.