Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Rat Patrol wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 5:31pm
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation ... story.html

McDonald's is bringing back its lobster roll!

God exists.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

lol

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And now the C Street Band smugly waits by the phone …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 3:15pm
Their Clarence is dead too, so they got this in the bag.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 7:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 3:15pm
Their Clarence is dead too, so they got this in the bag.
Which makes me wonder if any tribute band has been so committed that they'd boot someone out when the real guy dies or leaves the band. C'mon, I've been the Bill Wyman in Mother's Little Helpers: A Rolling Stones Experience for fifteen years!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 9:18pm
So much to unpack here...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.2947620
Well, conservatives, the market is your god and god has judged your orange boy.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

lol
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm having an FB argument with a guy about working for exposure. It's on an article about that hairdresser that was asked by Marla Maples to do her inauguration hair for exposure. The guy I'm arguing that thinks it's equivalent to investing in advertising. My main point:
The threat aside, it's not about whether she needs the business. It's a principle in the creative world that we don't work for free because it's well understood among our community to devalue our individual fields. It's not the same as giving someone a free tan because we have to use creative brainpower in addition to our time. Your world is different from ours. Your argument throughout the thread perfectly illustrates WHY we have to hold fast to this principle because people will try to get around it any way they can.
Is being met with a question about whether I've personally been approached by a celebrity to do work for exposure.

He runs an apartment complex, so he's got a lot of experience to draw from.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 6:35pm
I'm having an FB argument with a guy about working for exposure. It's on an article about that hairdresser that was asked by Marla Maples to do her inauguration hair for exposure. The guy I'm arguing that thinks it's equivalent to investing in advertising. My main point:
The threat aside, it's not about whether she needs the business. It's a principle in the creative world that we don't work for free because it's well understood among our community to devalue our individual fields. It's not the same as giving someone a free tan because we have to use creative brainpower in addition to our time. Your world is different from ours. Your argument throughout the thread perfectly illustrates WHY we have to hold fast to this principle because people will try to get around it any way they can.
Is being met with a question about whether I've personally been approached by a celebrity to do work for exposure.

More practically, is there any evidence that "exposure" like that functions as advertising? Does it actually generate new paying customers? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Instead, it encourages people to think that they are in a competition to sell their labour for as little as possible. If anything, as you suggest, all that should be regarded as a cautionary tale about how skilled individuals purposefully devalue themselves.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 8:09pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 6:35pm

More practically, is there any evidence that "exposure" like that functions as advertising? Does it actually generate new paying customers? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Instead, it encourages people to think that they are in a competition to sell their labour for as little as possible. If anything, as you suggest, all that should be regarded as a cautionary tale about how skilled individuals purposefully devalue themselves.
That's exactly the point I've been making to this guy, but he's either trolling me at this point, or he's really damn dense. He wants to see evidence that it DOESN'T generate new customers.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Seems very unreal watching scads of cops in formation protecting besuited neo-Nazis in DC.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night. :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:23am
So you're saying it'll be fine by tomorrow?

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:25am
Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:23am
So you're saying it'll be fine by tomorrow?
What? You've never seen All About Eve? That's a fine Bette Davis quote right there.