Tin Pan Alley Tales - film about London's Denmark Street

General music discussion.
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Tin Pan Alley Tales - film about London's Denmark Street

Post by JohnS »

Some people might find this of interest - a funding project to make a documentary about London's Denmark Street, which was once the home of music publishers offices, recording studios and later became the street full of instrument shops where every band bought their gear (and the Pistols lived/ rehearsed there)
Henry Scott Irvine who is behind this is a pro filmmaker, but also the leading campaigner to limit the destruction of Soho, Denmark Street etc by 'developers'- he's succeeded in single-handledy getting several properties protected, and the wrecking balls halted. So it'd be great if he can get his film off the ground - plus, to be honest, it's a film I'd love to see anyway.
Bung in a fiver or more, and you get your name in the credits!

https://www.phundee.com/reward/campaign ... s-the-film
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Tin Pan Alley Tales - film about London's Denmark Street

Post by 101Walterton »

I was in Soho couple of months ago and got completely confused and couldn't find anything due to the amount of redevelopment and buildings that had been demolished. Admittedly some were built in 60's and were awful but not all.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Tin Pan Alley Tales - film about London's Denmark Street

Post by JohnS »

Central London is a giant building site, and has been for years. I'm all for cities moving on and developing, but the scale of what is going on in recent times just beggars belief. You don't get the sense that a project is ending at all - just more and more stuff gets closed down and then either demolished, or 'refurbished'.
My brother who lives up North - after living here for many years in the 90's- was in London last year and couldn't believe the scale of what was happening in the West End. Particularly in the context of the rest of the country. He was really shocked - 'God, there's some money being spent round here - it's nothing like other places' (he frequently visits places like Manchester, Birmingham, and Liverpool - all very vibrant cities)
101, I'm not surprised you were lost and confused - and, for an old Londoner like you to say that about one of its central, historic areas, that's a damning state of affairs if ever there was one.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres