13%
David Crosby
88%

Total votes: 16

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: A poll

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:It's reputation is bottom of the barrel, right?
Yeah. It's not much better than its reputation, but I think Bob a few slightly more unlistenable albums.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Byrds: Awesome
CSN(Y): Not My Thing, But a Few Decent Songs
Grateful Dead: Boring Noodly Bullshit

The Dead hold the distinction of being the one 60s band I had strong negative feelings about before I ever even heard a punk song. I had friends just getting into them when I was like 11 or 12 and they played Workingman's Dead for me and I was appalled at how fucking dull it was.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:David Crosby was in the motherfucking Byrds, one of the best American bands ever. Not even sure if I've heard a Grateful Dead song, don't think I'd want to.
Don't think i could even name one mate. Think they are an American thing.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
Heston wrote:David Crosby was in the motherfucking Byrds, one of the best American bands ever. Not even sure if I've heard a Grateful Dead song, don't think I'd want to.
Yeah, they seem to have no form over here whatsoever.

Well done Britain.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

white man wrote:
They aren't even an American thing. 95% of the country only knows them musically for 1987's "Touch of Grey" and accompanying smash-hit MTV video...a complete aberration of an 80's pop hit that sounds absolutely nothing like anything else they ever did. All the rest of their mindshare was just the "Dead, Inc." traveling freakshow and all the Republican baby boomers for whom Dead, Inc. was a metaphor for forcing their midlife crises on the world. You never actually heard a note of music all the times Entertainment Tonight covered them on their latest $35/seat arena tour. I don't think I heard a single non-"Touch of Grey" song by theirs in full until watching PBS at 3:46am one night in the mid-90's and catching a rebroadcast of some coked-out UK show from 1981. It was completely formless.

Phish is much the same way. Everybody knows them as a traveling corporation...nobody is capable as so much as humming a few notes from their songs because noodling that boring is physically incapable of leaving a memory impression.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:
white man wrote:
They aren't even an American thing. 95% of the country only knows them musically for 1987's "Touch of Grey" and accompanying smash-hit MTV video...a complete aberration of an 80's pop hit that sounds absolutely nothing like anything else they ever did. All the rest of their mindshare was just the "Dead, Inc." traveling freakshow and all the Republican baby boomers for whom Dead, Inc. was a metaphor for forcing their midlife crises on the world. You never actually heard a note of music all the times Entertainment Tonight covered them on their latest $35/seat arena tour. I don't think I heard a single non-"Touch of Grey" song by theirs in full until watching PBS at 3:46am one night in the mid-90's and catching a rebroadcast of some coked-out UK show from 1981. It was completely formless.

Phish is much the same way. Everybody knows them as a traveling corporation...nobody is capable as so much as humming a few notes from their songs because noodling that boring is physically incapable of leaving a memory impression.
When Garcia died, I think the Onion had a story like "Jerry Garcia Finally Ends 27-Year-Long Guitar Solo." And yeah. I can name literally 4 of their songs: Touch of Grey, because it was on MTV and actually has a hook (Dead fans hate it), Casey Jones (of which I only know the first line "Riding That Train, High On Cocaine"), Truckin', because not even Dwight Yoakum could turn it into a cover song I gave a damn about, and Scarlet Begonias, because my ex-roommate really liked the Sublime cover of it in 1996.

I cannot actually tell you how the latter three actually sound. I just know they exist as songs.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
white man wrote:

When Garcia died, I think the Onion had a story like "Jerry Garcia Finally Ends 27-Year-Long Guitar Solo." And yeah. I can name literally 4 of their songs: Touch of Grey, because it was on MTV and actually has a hook (Dead fans hate it), Casey Jones (of which I only know the first line "Riding That Train, High On Cocaine"), Truckin', because not even Dwight Yoakum could turn it into a cover song I gave a damn about, and Scarlet Begonias, because my ex-roommate really liked the Sublime cover of it in 1996.

I cannot actually tell you how the latter three actually sound. I just know they exist as songs.
One of the reasons I have also actively disliked them for decades is because of their fanbase. I don't care much about the hippies - whatever, they can do what they want. But I think they are actually few and far between. Most people I am aware of (and this is throughout high school, college, and adulthood) that are GD fans are rich, jocky, white, frat boy assholes. The guy who sexually harassed me my entire senior year of high school, drove a BMW, set fire to a kid once, etc. (picture James Spader's character from Pretty in Pink without the charm or looks) was a huge deadhead. The fact that their music is terrible is merely icing on the cake.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
white man wrote:

One of the reasons I have also actively disliked them for decades is because of their fanbase. I don't care much about the hippies - whatever, they can do what they want. But I think they are actually few and far between. Most people I am aware of (and this is throughout high school, college, and adulthood) that are GD fans are rich, jocky, white, frat boy assholes. The guy who sexually harassed me my entire senior year of high school, drove a BMW, set fire to a kid once, etc. (picture James Spader's character from Pretty in Pink without the charm or looks) was a huge deadhead. The fact that their music is terrible is merely icing on the cake.
Oh yeah. Most of the preppy assholes I went to high school and college with either listened to jam band bullshit or its cousin, DMB-style earnest pseudo-jam band wank.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:And yeah. I can name literally 4 of their songs: Touch of Grey, because it was on MTV and actually has a hook (Dead fans hate it), Casey Jones (of which I only know the first line "Riding That Train, High On Cocaine"), Truckin', because not even Dwight Yoakum could turn it into a cover song I gave a damn about, and Scarlet Begonias, because my ex-roommate really liked the Sublime cover of it in 1996.
So much this. That Sublime cover is tasty too. There is a song called "Dark Star." I have no idea what it sounds like but I know it is a song. So, I've seen them live, I read the drummer's autobiography (given to me because, "he's a drummer, you're a drummer"), and my siblings owned their cds and I still only know five songs and only know what two of those songs really sound like (Grey and Case Jones).

One of the inspectors in my company is a big deadhead and an actual hippie. Grows pot and lives in the mountains. Great guy and definitely the stereotypical deadhead. My mom would fit the pseudo deadhead description discussed earlier. I've probably mentioned this before, but she used to wear a GD shirt around the house in the early 90's. I prodded her a few years ago about that saying she was probably one of the yuppies turned onto them because of Touch of Grey. She finally caved in and said she saw them in a private box and was bored out of her mind during the show.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Oh and I don't know jack shit about CSNY either. There's that one song "everybody look what's going round" and "Ohio" which, meh.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

David Crosby because Neil Young was able to tolerate him.

I don't get the Dead's appeal at all.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:Oh and I don't know jack shit about CSNY either. There's that one song "everybody look what's going round" and "Ohio" which, meh.
Take away the Y and you're stuck with a pompous asshole and two fat guys

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote: I don't get the Dead's appeal at all.
I have a few Deadhead friends and acquaintances, and I always feel like Jane Goodall around them. I don't understand them, but maybe if I take enough notes I'll figure it out.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
I have a few Deadhead friends and acquaintances, and I always feel like Jane Goodall around them. I don't understand them, but maybe if I take enough notes I'll figure it out.
Hahaha. Yeah, and just the right amount of acid, shrooms and herb.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
I love in a place where deadheads and Phishheads breed like flies on piles of stinking garbage. I stopped trying to understand thrm a long time ago.