Rat Patrol reconstruction

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
appleseed
Dirty Punk

Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by appleseed »

Here's a new Rat Patrol reconstruction. I doubt there'll be any new material to any board regulars, but it's worth a look. I just stumbled across it and am downloading it now.

This guy does great reconstructions of lost or unreleased albums. I've gotten some excellent ones by Dylan, the Who and the Beach Boys from his site.

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Wolter »

appleseed wrote:Here's a new Rat Patrol reconstruction. I doubt there'll be any new material to any board regulars, but it's worth a look. I just stumbled across it and am downloading it now.

This guy does great reconstructions of lost or unreleased albums. I've gotten some excellent ones by Dylan, the Who and the Beach Boys from his site.

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html
Weird. I JUST downloaded a Zappa reconstruction from him. Sounded great.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I get that he used CR versions for consistency of sound quality, but it kind of contradicts other claims he makes of it being Mick's version.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A COMBAT ROCK DELUXE EDITION WITH ORIGINAL RAT PATROL BONUS DISC????

It's such a cool album, much more in the Sandinista! mold than what CR became.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A COMBAT ROCK DELUXE EDITION WITH ORIGINAL RAT PATROL BONUS DISC????

Because we can't have nice things.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A COMBAT ROCK DELUXE EDITION WITH ORIGINAL RAT PATROL BONUS DISC????

I blame Flex.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I blame Flex.
I blame Mick. Flex is just one of his lackeys.

Come the revolution, lads - telephone poles and nooses, feet to the fire, marching bands playing Phil Collins songs...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I blame Flex.

Come the revolution, lads - telephone poles and nooses, feet to the fire, marching bands playing Phil Collins songs...
I really dig the RP mix of STH because the bass is so loud. If we could get better sounding KYR and Car Jamming, it might be enough. Those are the worst-sounding of the boots we have.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I blame Flex.

I really dig the RP mix of STH because the bass is so loud. If we could get better sounding KYR and Car Jamming, it might be enough. Those are the worst-sounding of the boots we have.
I'm sure you've heard Marky's remasters/mixes of the Rat Patrol/CR sessions. His bass boosts are always tastefully done (whether official release or boots) including the various versions of STH, which, yeah - the bass was a bit thin and brittle on the CR version.

The instrumental version of KYR is revealing - a different instrumental take, Topper sounds more involved (mostly his high hat work, but...). And have you heard Marky's remix of Red Angel Dragnet with DeNiro's voice mixed in , in lieu of Cosmo's? Much more effective and the whole mix is stellar.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I blame Flex.

I'm sure you've heard Marky's remasters/mixes of the Rat Patrol/CR sessions. His bass boosts are always tastefully done (whether official release or boots) including the various versions of STH, which, yeah - the bass was a bit thin and brittle on the CR version.

The instrumental version of KYR is revealing - a different instrumental take, Topper sounds more involved (mostly his high hat work, but...). And have you heard Marky's remix of Red Angel Dragnet with DeNiro's voice mixed in , in lieu of Cosmo's? Much more effective and the whole mix is stellar.
I have, and they're great. But I'll always prefer a true release of Mick's mix to Marky's remaster, and I'm sure he'd agree. The KYR, Car Jamming, and Atom Tan takes that we have now are like 36th generation masters. Yikes! I'd even be happy with masters of those tracks that are as clear as the others.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
I blame Flex.

I have, and they're great. But I'll always prefer a true release of Mick's mix to Marky's remaster, and I'm sure he'd agree. The KYR, Car Jamming, and Atom Tan takes that we have now are like 36th generation masters. Yikes! I'd even be happy with masters of those tracks that are as clear as the others.
Oh, of course. And I'm guessing a pristine tape exists, as I seem to remember TeddyB saying he heard it (Gerry's copy I think) but didn't feel right about asking for a dub. And now Gerry's gone, but you'd assume Mick has it. Buried in his garden or where ever he keeps his planet-saving, unheard gems. :mad:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I blame Flex.

Hello,

Marky's stuff is fine with me. I don't want to be an audiophile. It sounds good while I work out and has a guttural/realness/edgieness feel to it. Let's not get carried away.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
I blame Flex.

Hello,

Marky's stuff is fine with me. I don't want to be an audiophile. It sounds good while I work out and has a guttural/realness/edgieness feel to it. Let's not get carried away.
That's fine for you, but it's jarring when tracks in the same album are of a drastically different quality from one another. It's weird to go from the excellent quality of the STH version to the muffled and degenerated KYR.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I yearn for the pristine album too, mainly for Inoculated City.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote: I blame Mick. Flex is just one of his lackeys.

Oh, of course. And I'm guessing a pristine tape exists, as I seem to remember TeddyB saying he heard it (Gerry's copy I think) but didn't feel right about asking for a dub. And now Gerry's gone, but you'd assume Mick has it. Buried in his garden or where ever he keeps his planet-saving, unheard gems. :mad:
Gerb's copy, actually. Of course Mick has it. They used several of the tracks on Sound System. The reason they haven't released a complete Rat Patrol is because the band didn't approve it at the time, and the idea of releasing it was never broached before Joe passed away. It's one thing to release some early mixes on a compilation and it's another to release a contentious, alternate album. Maybe something will persuade Paul and Mick to change their minds, but that's where it sits as of now.