Carbon Silicon

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: Carbon Silicon

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:I need to listen to more Carbon/Silicone really, the only song of theirs I have is pier 51 and it is such a fantastic tune, what others would you recommend?
Why Do Men Fight
Magic Suitcase
Gangs of England
Why Do Men Fight - great opening, song has a great energy that continues throughout, cracking song.

Magic Suitcase - solid song, nice tune and liked the vocals, nice little solo in there too, very good.

Gangs Of England - fairly hard hitting, good chorus and the overall tune is good, not quite as good I feel as the other two but nevertheless a good number.

Must listen to more, cheers mate!

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:I need to listen to more Carbon/Silicone really, the only song of theirs I have is pier 51 and it is such a fantastic tune, what others would you recommend?
Why Do Men Fight
Magic Suitcase
Gangs of England
Why Do Men Fight - great opening, song has a great energy that continues throughout, cracking song.

Magic Suitcase - solid song, nice tune and liked the vocals, nice little solo in there too, very good.

Gangs Of England - fairly hard hitting, good chorus and the overall tune is good, not quite as good I feel as the other two but nevertheless a good number.

Must listen to more, cheers mate!
Hi - would also recommend you try: Soylent Green, Global War on Culture, The News, Psychotic Fish and Falun Gong Love Song.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:So many excellent, ridiculously underrated songs up until then, but Carbon Bubble was comparatively weak save The Best Man. Mick just wasn't able to put in the creative effort for various reasons and Tony was left to carry too much weight.
I agree but I liked Carbon Bubble. I did like how Super Paradise Beach's guitar riff managed to get on that album even though the song never managed to make a proper release its self.

SPB, mpfree, Pres warfield,Night club Etiquette and the poppy version of Be good to yourself too many to mention them all. To think these great songs never made a CD version but given away free was an amazing journey that most enjoyed.

We are not used to getting stuff free and i think its human nature not to value something if we dont pay for it. No such thing as a free lunch ? possibly some got belly ache from too much consuming.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:So many excellent, ridiculously underrated songs up until then, but Carbon Bubble was comparatively weak save The Best Man. Mick just wasn't able to put in the creative effort for various reasons and Tony was left to carry too much weight.
I agree but I liked Carbon Bubble. I did like how Super Paradise Beach's guitar riff managed to get on that album even though the song never managed to make a proper release its self.

SPB, mpfree, Pres warfield,Night club Etiquette and the poppy version of Be good to yourself too many to mention them all. To think these great songs never made a CD version but given away free was an amazing journey that most enjoyed.

We are not used to getting stuff free and i think its human nature not to value something if we dont pay for it. No such thing as a free lunch ? possibly some got belly ache from too much consuming.
:mrgreen: ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Filmed for Levi's at the 2008 FADER Fort, Mick Jones and Tony James tell the story of an epic invite to an epic party in Late-1970s London.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
Filmed for Levi's at the 2008 FADER Fort, Mick Jones and Tony James tell the story of an epic invite to an epic party in Late-1970s London.
Nice find. Thanks.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
Nice find. Thanks.
Jesus, thats quite the story there. Thanks for finding this.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Probably explains this die hard carbon silicon demo

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

NoMoreHugh wrote:Probably explains this die hard carbon silicon demo

"That's As Good As It Gets" too, possibly (Jack's film As Good As It Gets).

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
Yes agreed.

"The Last Post" is a great album and gets regular plays here.
Bump

I have been listening to Last Post this morning and it is brilliant still sounds good.
The only thing i dont like is that its too polished for me but thats personal to my preference and not a fault with the album. I remember that Bill Price didn't have to change very much in the production as Mick had previously perfected the finished studio versions so well.

A definite disappointment for me was the use of a drum machine i always cant understand how a R&R band can underestimate the importance of the use of real drums. The drum Machine sounds too perfect you need the slight flaws of a real drummer going in and out of time as this whats makes a song breathe and creates the excitement of a song.
The older studio demos with drums gave Carbon Silicon a whole different sound a lot more exciting to listen too.
Take the clash and the perfect production of London Calling this example captures what i am talking about it can be polished but not lose the spontaneity of the live sound. I'm just a little surprised that Mick and Tony just underestimate this important feature of Rock and Roll.

Still enjoying the listen though.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yes agreed.

"The Last Post" is a great album and gets regular plays here.
Bump

I have been listening to Last Post this morning and it is brilliant still sounds good.
The only thing i dont like is that its too polished for me but thats personal to my preference and not a fault with the album. I remember that Bill Price didn't have to change very much in the production as Mick had previously perfected the finished studio versions so well.

A definite disappointment for me was the use of a drum machine i always cant understand how a R&R band can underestimate the importance of the use of real drums. The drum Machine sounds too perfect you need the slight flaws of a real drummer going in and out of time as this whats makes a song breathe and creates the excitement of a song.
The older studio demos with drums gave Carbon Silicon a whole different sound a lot more exciting to listen too.
Take the clash and the perfect production of London Calling this example captures what i am talking about it can be polished but not lose the spontaneity of the live sound. I'm just a little surprised that Mick and Tony just underestimate this important feature of Rock and Roll.

Still enjoying the listen though.
Said this for years about the drums. It's not as if they couldn't have had their pick of great drummers. That drum machine ruined a lot of potentially great songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Dis-United Kingdom is a cracking song. Up there with the best rhat they did.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

"best man" that a great track
when i saw them live late 2008 "party world" was a highlight !
but the demo version is a bit lame...

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I think The Best Man is the best track on Carbon Bubble. I'm not sure that Mick and Tony didn't use a live drummer in the studio in the long run because they didn't rate the importance. First, they had personal/contractual/artistic differences with the two live drummers they did try first (Ruffy and Danny). They also tried cutting an album with Danny and William, which Mick found unsatisfactory, aside from the contractual demands. Dominic was great, but he wasn't available to just hang around on a continuing basis. I think it eventually became more a matter of being able to go into the bunker and experiment and record without having to deal with other people, either in terms of schedule or conflict. And, money.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

About the Best man

in my last radio show i took the liberty to remix it a bit
and did some edition too
You can listen to the result at 41'20"