Unknown Immortal

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I didn't appreciate the sophomoric quotes about the danger of Christianity, they didn't speak to a particularly elevated intellect. The evidence I've seen in books by my favourite Biblical scholars have convinced me that a historical Jesus is about as likely to have actually lived as any other figure from the 1st century. I lean to him being a real apocalyptic preacher who got crucified by the Romans.
You don't think Christianity can be damaging and repressive?
I do, it's the kind of observation I'd expect a worthwhile academic to have gotten out of their system before graduating. A banal truism at this point for anybody who's thought about this stuff.
Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you meant that his position was naive or something. I dunno, the article is doesn't seem to be for people that are well read on this subject, so they probably took sound bites of his that were more general, or maybe he geared his interview answers with that in mind. I'd be interesting to see the lecture at least. I'm certainly not well read on this stuff, myself.
Giving the academic the benefit of the doubt, he may have tailored his response for a general audience. And, given that he's an American, there's a likely kneejerk acceptance of the Bible that he's operating under.
I think so. He says as much when he states that he doesn't want to cause Christians any harm.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Regardless, it's silly. If Jesus didn't exist, why would invoking his name have such a harmful effect on demons during an exorcism? Think, people!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:my favourite Biblical scholars
Friday Top 5? :mrgreen:
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

tepista wrote:Image
Yay! The Jews saved Jesus after all! [*arsons nearest church*]

I'm gonna make me some matzo ball soup.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:Image
Jesus!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
The Son Of Rod.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hip hip hip hip hip priest-uh.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hip hip hip hip hip priest-uh.
That immeadiately entered my head also. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/22/us/jesus- ... index.html

Amateurs. Everybody knows if you don't bury it away from the body anchored to a spike it keeps coming back. :naughty:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I held off for 2 days but wtf I think had to be said.
An 'associate' posted a video on Facebook telling the story of a man who was shipwrecked and left alone on a deserted island. He built a shelter out of what was left but whilst out looking for food it burnt to the ground leaving him with nothing ( you can see where this is heading). He gets angry with God then rescuers come after seeing smoke from fire blah blah blah
Got lots of likes and comments but I had to ask why did God wreck his ship and kill all his friends?
Currently awaiting the backlash 😄

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Mar 2017, 2:56pm
An 'associate' posted a video on Facebook telling the story of a man who was shipwrecked and left alone on a deserted island. He built a shelter out of what was left but whilst out looking for food it burnt to the ground leaving him with nothing ( you can see where this is heading). He gets angry with God then rescuers come after seeing smoke from fire blah blah blah
Got lots of likes and comments but I had to ask why did God wreck his ship and kill all his friends?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Mar 2017, 2:56pm
An old coworker (friend at the time, but hadn't seen him in years) died about a year ago in a car accident leaving a widow and a few months later a newborn daughter. I went to the memorial which was very religious (as was he) and they kept mentioning god's plan and what not which pissed me off because the guy always drove like a maniac. I understand being able to revert to "god's unknown plan" excuse for random acts of shittiness like my cousin dying of cancer at 23 (though my aunt and uncle are as anti-religious as ever), but stuff that seems completely preventable like driving habits just seems to erase any kind of blame or culpability. I mean I get not bringing up his shitty driving habits and blaming him at his funeral, but doing the "god's plan" thing just frustrated the hell out of me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.