Hey limeys

Politics and other such topical creams.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2016, 3:03pm

Oi skinny Jim who you calling fat?
Image
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26082
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Heston » 03 Nov 2016, 4:32pm

101Walterton wrote:When it comes to humour / jokes there is always a 'victim' the person who is made fun of whether it is a man, a woman, a fat guy, a Pom, an Irishman, a hipster, a Scotman, a nun, a ginger, an Essex girl etc.
Why is it any more offensive to tell a joke based on race?

( I know Scots, Irish, English are races but you get my point).
Historical baggage?

I've heard people say what's wrong with Paki, it's just a shortening of the name, like Brit. They forget the years of negative connotations associated with the word.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2016, 5:40pm

101Walterton wrote:When it comes to humour / jokes there is always a 'victim' the person who is made fun of whether it is a man, a woman, a fat guy, a Pom, an Irishman, a hipster, a Scotman, a nun, a ginger, an Essex girl etc.
Why is it any more offensive to tell a joke based on race?

( I know Scots, Irish, English are races but you get my point).
Toady I am the victim and the joke. :disshame:
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Hey limeys

Post by 101Walterton » 03 Nov 2016, 6:03pm

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:When it comes to humour / jokes there is always a 'victim' the person who is made fun of whether it is a man, a woman, a fat guy, a Pom, an Irishman, a hipster, a Scotman, a nun, a ginger, an Essex girl etc.
Why is it any more offensive to tell a joke based on race?

( I know Scots, Irish, English are races but you get my point).
Toady I am the victim and the joke. :disshame:
A Muslim, a Jew, a fat ginger bloke, a black lesbian transsexual and Marky Dread walked into a pub. They behaved like reasonable adults and all had a nice time.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2016, 6:06pm

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:When it comes to humour / jokes there is always a 'victim' the person who is made fun of whether it is a man, a woman, a fat guy, a Pom, an Irishman, a hipster, a Scotman, a nun, a ginger, an Essex girl etc.
Why is it any more offensive to tell a joke based on race?

( I know Scots, Irish, English are races but you get my point).
Toady I am the victim and the joke. :disshame:
A Muslim, a Jew, a fat ginger bloke, a black lesbian transsexual and Marky Dread walked into a pub. They behaved like reasonable adults and all had a nice time.
Today the others rejected him for being an idiot. The landlord refused to serve him on the grounds that he might hurt himself.
Image
Image

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19885
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Hey limeys

Post by matedog » 03 Nov 2016, 6:59pm

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:When it comes to humour / jokes there is always a 'victim' the person who is made fun of whether it is a man, a woman, a fat guy, a Pom, an Irishman, a hipster, a Scotman, a nun, a ginger, an Essex girl etc.
Why is it any more offensive to tell a joke based on race?

( I know Scots, Irish, English are races but you get my point).
Historical baggage?

I've heard people say what's wrong with Paki, it's just a shortening of the name, like Brit. They forget the years of negative connotations associated with the word.
Oh man, I got in trouble with my friend's parents (Pakistani/English) for dropping that awhile back. I had only heard another Pakistani friend use it lightheartedly before and was totally unaware of the historical connotation in England. They were understanding, but man did I feel like an ass.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Hey limeys

Post by 101Walterton » 03 Nov 2016, 7:53pm

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:When it comes to humour / jokes there is always a 'victim' the person who is made fun of whether it is a man, a woman, a fat guy, a Pom, an Irishman, a hipster, a Scotman, a nun, a ginger, an Essex girl etc.
Why is it any more offensive to tell a joke based on race?

( I know Scots, Irish, English are races but you get my point).
Historical baggage?

I've heard people say what's wrong with Paki, it's just a shortening of the name, like Brit. They forget the years of negative connotations associated with the word.
Oh man, I got in trouble with my friend's parents (Pakistani/English) for dropping that awhile back. I had only heard another Pakistani friend use it lightheartedly before and was totally unaware of the historical connotation in England. They were understanding, but man did I feel like an ass.
Paki is still in common usage in cricket and is the name used for the Pakistani team even by commentators. It does jar when you hear it.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Nov 2016, 5:40am

.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 04 Nov 2016, 5:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Nov 2016, 5:41am

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: I dislike political correctness as much as I dislike racists.
As much as, really?
Removed.
Image
Image

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14571
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Rat Patrol » 09 Nov 2016, 12:36am

So, Limeys...is this what it's like when you Brexit?
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Nov 2016, 4:10am

Rat Patrol wrote:So, Limeys...is this what it's like when you Brexit?
Is what like? Are you referring to the feeling you have after Trump winning the presidency? If so mate I don't think they are comparable.
Image
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Kory » 10 Nov 2016, 12:26am

Marky Dread wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:So, Limeys...is this what it's like when you Brexit?
Is what like? Are you referring to the feeling you have after Trump winning the presidency? If so mate I don't think they are comparable.
Perhaps he's referring to secession from the union as a result of the win.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Nov 2016, 5:43am

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:So, Limeys...is this what it's like when you Brexit?
Is what like? Are you referring to the feeling you have after Trump winning the presidency? If so mate I don't think they are comparable.
Perhaps he's referring to secession from the union as a result of the win.
It's a complete disaster.
Image
Image

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14571
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Rat Patrol » 06 Jan 2017, 9:57am

British law enforcement racially profiles large urban black man skulking around looking suspicious: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 10376.html
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Hey limeys

Post by 101Walterton » 06 Jan 2017, 4:55pm

Rat Patrol wrote:British law enforcement racially profiles large urban black man skulking around looking suspicious: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 10376.html
What a complete non story. Soldier does his job correctly and Queen doesn't get shot! Slow news day.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests