Hey Hooks

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Hey Hooks

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It does come down to whether you're a lumper or a splitter. Do you tend towards finding reasons to fit in with a group or reasons to be outside of it? And even that is quite situational—being dogmatic about that doesn't really make sense either.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Some generational perspective on the US election, treating it as the final(?) Boomer tantrum:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 0c90fa5c7b
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Some generational perspective on the US election, treating it as the final(?) Boomer tantrum:
Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz and their Republican Gen X ilk don't seem likely to stop the politics of obstruction.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Some generational perspective on the US election, treating it as the final(?) Boomer tantrum:
Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz and their Republican Gen X ilk don't seem likely to stop the politics of obstruction.
I think the larger point is that with a declining/dying base, they'll necessarily be in a weaker position in trying to obstruct. That the GOP is the majority party in the House is due to gerrymandering, but even that is a stopgap as their supporters die off.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

just tryin' to keep him busy when he comes back.

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Huh, one of Bannon's favourite books is Strauss & Howe's The Fourth Turning. As I recall, both Al Gore and New Gingrich pimped for S & H's first book.
Bannon’s 2015 documentary, “Generation Zero,” drew heavily on one of his favorite books, “The Fourth Turning” by William Strauss and Neil Howe, which explains a theory of history unfolding in 80-100 year cycles or “turnings,” the fourth and final stage of which is marked by periods of cataclysmic change in which the old order is destroyed and replaced—a current period that, in Bannon’s view, was sparked by the 2008 financial crisis and has now been manifested in part by the rise of Trump.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ist-214745