revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote: Y'all three plus like Marky are pretty much the last regulars I need to meet.
I keep an eye on the wife's various conference locations, so that if any of them sync up with IMCTers, I can come along with her.
I have only met Tep and Kaleb in person, and spoken to Wolt once on the phone. So I have a lot of people to meet.
I've met up with Flex twice and sent Doc a super cool Yankees / KISS shirt but that's about it. If all goes well me and the Beaneater will down a few pints together and maybe go see Screeching Weasel in NYC.

I go to a lot of places that don't have IMCT people...that I know of
Beaneater is a solid dude, plus he'll let you get to second base with just a wink.
Good I like a cheap date that puts out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I keep an eye on the wife's various conference locations, so that if any of them sync up with IMCTers, I can come along with her.
I have only met Tep and Kaleb in person, and spoken to Wolt once on the phone. So I have a lot of people to meet.
I've met up with Flex twice and sent Doc a super cool Yankees / KISS shirt but that's about it. If all goes well me and the Beaneater will down a few pints together and maybe go see Screeching Weasel in NYC.

I go to a lot of places that don't have IMCT people...that I know of
Beaneater is a solid dude, plus he'll let you get to second base with just a wink.
Good I like a cheap date that puts out.
Make him prove he's on antibiotics. Trust me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
tepista wrote:i remember rancid
I don't remeber if Rancid ever covered Halloween.
I laughed.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Indo, Eummie,

Rancid Announces New Album Trouble Maker Out June 9th

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tepista wrote:
02 May 2017, 1:21pm
Indo, Eummie,

Hah, did you find out via their mailing list? I just got that email and came here to post the same thing!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Their album art has really evolved with time. :shifty:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
02 May 2017, 2:02pm
tepista wrote:
02 May 2017, 1:21pm
Indo, Eummie,

Hah, did you find out via their mailing list? I just got that email and came here to post the same thing!
Monkey Assistant told me.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

So if you dig their albums through 2000, is there anything worth delving into in their post-2000s albums? From what I've heard, it's mostly rehashing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
02 May 2017, 3:29pm
So if you dig their albums through 2000, is there anything worth delving into in their post-2000s albums? From what I've heard, it's mostly rehashing.
I think Indestructible is still a great album, with plenty of crucial cuts (title track, Fall Back Down, Red Hot Moon, Spirit of '87, Back Up Against the Wall, etc.) but Let The Dominoes Fall and, especially, ...Honor Is All We Know don't have as much to offer. I listened to Honor again the other day and was struck by how much it blurs together, even by Rancid's usual standards.

Honestly, I think the best song they've put out since 2000 is the comp-only "Fuck You" from this record: http://piratespressrecords.com/store/in ... cts_id=389

Addendum: Rancid is stupid-fun in braggadocio mode, like on that comp track.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
I haven't listened to a few albums but to me they're a band who I don't really expect much growth musically. I accept that and enjoy them for what they are.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
02 May 2017, 3:40pm
matedog wrote:
I think Indestructible is still a great album, with plenty of crucial cuts (title track, Fall Back Down, Red Hot Moon, Spirit of '87, Back Up Against the Wall, etc.) but Let The Dominoes Fall and, especially, ...Honor Is All We Know don't have as much to offer. I listened to Honor again the other day and was struck by how much it blurs together, even by Rancid's usual standards.

Honestly, I think the best song they've put out since 2000 is the comp-only "Fuck You" from this record: http://piratespressrecords.com/store/in ... cts_id=389

To me, Life Won't Wait was their zenith. It's been mostly downhill since, with a nice track or two scattered here and there.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
02 May 2017, 7:06pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

To me, Life Won't Wait was their zenith. It's been mostly downhill since, with a nice track or two scattered here and there.
I like Life Won't Wait but Wolves slays all.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2017, 10:37pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

Love both those albums

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Indestructible is pretty great.

Dominoes is good, Skull City is one of my favourite Rancid tracks —

Hoh-onor I listened to maybe twice. Sounded kinda samey.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2017, 10:37pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

Yeah it's pretty golden, if a little long. But so is Life Won't Wait.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc