Atheistic Epileptic

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
The irony being I expect the vast majority of pet owners feed their pet food that is behind that line.
Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.
I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
No more no less than any other culture that decides what is or isn't a pet.
It is all entirely culturally generated/learned. Strictly speaking, it is illogical that we make these choices, but, save for vegans, there's a compromise made. I admit to being weirded out by the idea of eating cat, dog, or horse, but dispassionately I shouldn't be. Meh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Rabbit on the wrong side of the line, imho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:Rabbit on the wrong side of the line, imho.
Your Fuddism has long been understood here.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:Rabbit on the wrong side of the line, imho.
Your Fuddism has long been understood here.
This made me smile about a very serious subject.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The irony being I expect the vast majority of pet owners feed their pet food that is behind that line.
Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.
It is all entirely culturally generated/learned. Strictly speaking, it is illogical that we make these choices, but, save for vegans, there's a compromise made. I admit to being weirded out by the idea of eating cat, dog, or horse, but dispassionately I shouldn't be. Meh.
I agree and meh indeed.

I guess no fish, no fur, no feather. Someone is going to tell me plants have a right to live also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That said, I eat meat and really have no plans to stop. I do it for all the cultural reasons that get discussed, and at a base level that I enjoy the taste of meat. But, I'd admit it's a moral failing on my part.

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That said, I eat meat and really have no plans to stop. I do it for all the cultural reasons that get discussed, and at a base level that I enjoy the taste of meat. But, I'd admit it's a moral failing on my part.
I eat meat shamelessly. Circle of life yada yada.

Flex

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:Circle of life yada yada.
That's actually why I murder the elderly.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That's exactly where I'm at. I enjoy the taste of meat, but I know that I have to ignore a lot of indefensible stuff to do so. If there's one area of self-improvement that I'd like to get to, it's eschewing meat, but (ho ho) the flesh is weak at this point.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's exactly where I'm at. I enjoy the taste of meat, but I know that I have to ignore a lot of indefensible stuff to do so. If there's one area of self-improvement that I'd like to get to, it's eschewing meat, but (ho ho) the flesh is weak at this point.
Likewise.

I understand and don't disagree with veganism and understand animals suffer to be put on my plate. That being said, I enjoy the taste sufficiently to overrode what minimal moral qualms I have.

I only hate vegans when I'm going to dinner with one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:I only hate vegans when I'm going to dinner with one.
B's been vegan for well over a year now, but her choice wasn't out of morality but diet. Both dairy and, increasingly, meat was playing havoc with her digestive system. She'll still have meat when there's no other option, but a vegan diet has been much better for her health. So I'm not living with Morrissey scolding me when I grill up a hamburger.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Likewise.

I understand and don't disagree with veganism and understand animals suffer to be put on my plate. That being said, I enjoy the taste sufficiently to overrode what minimal moral qualms I have.

I only hate vegans when I'm going to dinner with one.
So basically all moral judgements are cast aside in favour of the flavour. What a bunch of weak minded self centered assholes us humans really are. I don't agree with eating humans but they probably taste good also. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.
I agree and meh indeed.

I guess no fish, no fur, no feather. Someone is going to tell me plants have a right to live also.
"Vegetable rights and peace."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread wrote:I don't agree with eating humans but they probably taste good also. ;)
Kinda gamey. :shifty: ⁶⁶⁶

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote: I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
I agree and meh indeed.

"Vegetable rights and peace."
Don't bring me down and hassle me maaaaaaaan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia