Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Star Wars

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:So where do Star Wars fans fall down on the animated series that are on TV?

My son and I argue over these all the time.
Watched Droids and Ewoks way back when, but haven't seen the current stuff. "Real" Star Wars is the movies, but stuff that plays around with the settings and situations can be fun. I've read a few Star Wars novels in my time, but other than Timothy Zahn's Thrawn stuff, it's left me flat.
I can't stand them, don't care for that style of animation. I only recognize the original 3 movies and the latest one.
A very solid Gen X stance. In practice, those are the only four that I choose to watch, but I'm more forgiving of the prequels than most my age. I'd never recommend them, but it's still Star Wars, so there's something there to fire my inner child's imagination.
I've of course seen the prequels and there are some good moments and I think they could have been so much better without 3 things
1 Jar Jar
2 what's his name as the older broody monotone Anakin
3 The racism.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:So where do Star Wars fans fall down on the animated series that are on TV?

Watched Droids and Ewoks way back when, but haven't seen the current stuff. "Real" Star Wars is the movies, but stuff that plays around with the settings and situations can be fun. I've read a few Star Wars novels in my time, but other than Timothy Zahn's Thrawn stuff, it's left me flat.
I can't stand them, don't care for that style of animation. I only recognize the original 3 movies and the latest one.
A very solid Gen X stance. In practice, those are the only four that I choose to watch, but I'm more forgiving of the prequels than most my age. I'd never recommend them, but it's still Star Wars, so there's something there to fire my inner child's imagination.
I've of course seen the prequels and there are some good moments and I think they could have been so much better without 3 things
1 Jar Jar
3 The racism.
4 The kid playing young Anakin
5 The dialogue

My gut feeling is that the prequels could have been quite good if Lucas had just written the basic stories, then turned them over to proper screenwriters and especially a competent director. Everything bad about the prequels stems from Lucas' belief that he could do it all, rather than delegate to more talented individuals to bring to life his larger vision.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Watched Droids and Ewoks way back when, but haven't seen the current stuff. "Real" Star Wars is the movies, but stuff that plays around with the settings and situations can be fun. I've read a few Star Wars novels in my time, but other than Timothy Zahn's Thrawn stuff, it's left me flat.
1 Jar Jar
3 The racism.
5 The dialogue

My gut feeling is that the prequels could have been quite good if Lucas had just written the basic stories, then turned them over to proper screenwriters and especially a competent director. Everything bad about the prequels stems from Lucas' belief that he could do it all, rather than delegate to more talented individuals to bring to life his larger vision.
Agreed on your points. Yeah the young kid was annoying but was only in the one movie, right?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
1 Jar Jar
3 The racism.
5 The dialogue

Agreed on your points. Yeah the young kid was annoying but was only in the one movie, right?
YIPPEE!!!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I actually really enjoyed the Clone Wars cartoon, and what I've seen of Rebels. I admit, the character design is not exactly stellar (the animation itself is fine), and it unfortunately has a lot of links to the prequels. But it salvages a lot by actually being entertaining in ways the movies never are. It actually has an Anakin that is believably heroic but flawed, unlike those garbage prequels. And Ahsoka Tano is actually one of the greatest Star Wars characters by the end of Clone Wars, though she starts out horribly annoying.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If y'alls are into audiobooks, Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy is available here: http://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php ... 88d8a9e5d2
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I finally saw The Force Awakens! What a melodramatic pail of swill it was. I knew everything that was going to happen ten minutes before it did and they just kept dragging and dragging it out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Donald Glover to play Lando in the Han Solo movie. Damned but that seems like perfect casting.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/donald-glover-is ... 1788086902

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

1 Jar Jar
3 The racism.
Hey that was a good moment. C'mon now no one likes Gungan's. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Donald Glover to play Lando in the Han Solo movie. Damned but that seems like perfect casting.
I'd vastly prefer it to just be a Lando movie.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Donald Glover to play Lando in the Han Solo movie. Damned but that seems like perfect casting.
The ins and outs of running a mining operation during political uncertainty? Whatever floats your boat. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sholuld look good in a pink hoody.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
The ins and outs of running a mining operation during political uncertainty? Whatever floats your boat. :shifty:

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Carrie Fisher Suffers Massive Heart Attack on Plane
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/812405928628731904

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Okay, I really liked Rogue One. More than The Force Awakens, probably. It was also a good illustration why Disney dumped all the extended universe shit. That story had been told in the EU via the Dark Forces computer game. It would be ludicrous to allow an early 90s shooter prevent Rogue One from happening.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!