Mostly Nekkid

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Spiff »

Kory wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't FB nor does my mother, but I have the next best thing, which is our weekly Sunday phone calls. The most recent was on Americans and guns, in which she adhered to two positions: 1) The US does not have a real democracy and 2) it's is Americans' fault that their elected representatives are so awful on the subject of guns (among other things). My efforts to point out the inconsistency failed completely.
Aren't parents fun? Our biggest argument ever was over her position that all homeless people should be in prison.
Holy crap. :scared:

Most of my family are mushy social democrats and can't understand how their position could be critiqued from the left. At the same time, I regularly call them on their blatant partisanship and accompanying double standard, which necessitates me defending the Conservatives.
The most insane thing is that my mom is the one that gave me my morals and compassion, yet she believes things like this. What the hell am I supposed to make of that?
I just feel more and more every day that she's not the same person that raised me.
How old is she?

For many, the aging process decreases the ability of the frontal lobes (via dementia, senility, etc.) to control the more reptilian parts of the brain.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Spiff wrote:
Kory wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Aren't parents fun? Our biggest argument ever was over her position that all homeless people should be in prison.
Holy crap. :scared:

Most of my family are mushy social democrats and can't understand how their position could be critiqued from the left. At the same time, I regularly call them on their blatant partisanship and accompanying double standard, which necessitates me defending the Conservatives.
The most insane thing is that my mom is the one that gave me my morals and compassion, yet she believes things like this. What the hell am I supposed to make of that?
I just feel more and more every day that she's not the same person that raised me.
How old is she?

For many, the aging process decreases the ability of the frontal lobes (via dementia, senility, etc.) to control the more reptilian parts of the brain.
She's about 57. A friend made a good point that getting older increases one's fear of the world, resulting in these kind of opinions.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:A friend made a good point that getting older increases one's fear of the world, resulting in these kind of opinions.
And yet, I'd say I find the world more unsettling, but my reaction is that we need more compassion and more awareness that our individual actions have social effects. Fear doesn't need to make a person turn meaner.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:A friend made a good point that getting older increases one's fear of the world, resulting in these kind of opinions.
And yet, I'd say I find the world more unsettling, but my reaction is that we need more compassion and more awareness that our individual actions have social effects. Fear doesn't need to make a person turn meaner.
Tell that to my mom!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Tell that to my mom!
[insert "your mother" joke here]
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Tell that to my mom!
My mama's so dumb, I don't tell "yo mama's so dumb" jokes, I tell "MY mama's so dumb" jokes. Example: My mama's so dumb, I don't tell "yo mama's so dumb" jokes, I tell "MY mama's so dumb" jokes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Tell that to my mom!
My mama's so dumb, I don't tell "yo mama's so dumb" jokes, I tell "MY mama's so dumb" jokes. Example: My mama's so dumb, I don't tell "yo mama's so dumb" jokes, I tell "MY mama's so dumb" jokes.
And we have witnessed here the death and burial of the yo mama joke.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: And yet, I'd say I find the world more unsettling, but my reaction is that we need more compassion and more awareness that our individual actions have social effects. Fear doesn't need to make a person turn meaner.
Tell that to my mom!
Yo mama.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Tell that to my mom!
Yo mama.
Zombie yo mama joke!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yo mama.
Zombie yo mama joke!
Still not as bad as Zombie Simpsons.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yo mama.
Zombie yo mama joke!
I've been watching episodes of season 20+ Simpsons because it coincides with my work break, and I'm surprised to find that there is a little bit of worth in them. Maybe only two jokes per episode, which isn't nearly enough to justify their existence, but not a total graveyard either.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: And we have witnessed here the death and burial of the yo mama joke.
Yo mama.
Zombie yo mama joke!
I've been watching episodes of season 20+ Simpsons because it coincides with my work break, and I'm surprised to find that there is a little bit of worth in them. Maybe only two jokes per episode, which isn't nearly enough to justify their existence, but not a total graveyard either.
A case of a broken clock?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yo mama.
Zombie yo mama joke!
Maybe. Or the writers are good enough that they can still find an odd nugget inside a mine that has been fully hollowed out.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Zombie yo mama joke!
Maybe. Or the writers are good enough that they can still find an odd nugget inside a mine that has been fully hollowed out.
In that case, they're geniuses. It's really not their fault.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Despite some assertions from people I actually think are pretty politically astute, I'm reasonably sure this sit-in won't lead to gun legislation that materially makes anyone safer. But I do think there's a pretty good chance this has helped solidify the surveillance-state watch-list concept as not only bipartisan consensus, but as a legitimate tool to advance so-called progressive causes. So that's something, I guess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!