Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:Why doesn't Sony care enough to do this for The Clash? They would make a lot of money if they actually spent any time trying to take it.
The Ramones are more popular.
Is that true? The Ramones have more cool cred, but I'd say the Clash have a wider potential audience due to stuff like SISOSIG and RtC. It could be that bands like the Ramones, because they aren't more widely popular, are better suited for these kind of niche, obsessive packages. None of these intense release packages pursue anybody but those who have already bought the album fifteen times already, no?
I could see it. Imagine being at a club seeing some local band, and the amount of people that would flip their lids over a cover of Blitzkreig Bop vs. RTC.
Right, it comes down to who the presumed audience is. Amongst punk fans, Ramones will likely win out. Amongst "rock" fans—a much bigger and vaguer group—I'd guess that the Clash grab more.
I'm just baffled that they don't want our money. Feet to the fire, I say.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:I'm just baffled that they don't want our money. Feet to the fire, I say.
Well, that's all Mick's fault, hiding tapes in his shed and all that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:I'm just baffled that they don't want our money. Feet to the fire, I say.
Well, that's all Mick's fault, hiding tapes in his shed and all that.
HE OWES THE FANS

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:Why doesn't Sony care enough to do this for The Clash? They would make a lot of money if they actually spent any time trying to take it.
Sony won't employ me so fuck 'em.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
FUCK SONY FOREVER

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
FUCK SONY FOREVER
Always.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Seriously, I have no doubt whatsoever that, kid-in-a-candy-store access to the Clash library, Marky would put together some exceptional packages that we'd all sell left nuts and ovaries to get.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Seriously, I have no doubt whatsoever that, kid-in-a-candy-store access to the Clash library, Marky would put together some exceptional packages that we'd all sell left nuts and ovaries to get.
I'd sell all my ovaries.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'd sell all my ovaries.
Hey, bozo, guys only have one ovary.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

You forget that the Ramones have been marketed to high heaven as T-shirt fodder for a while now. I would argue that their name is more sellable in 2016 than the Clash, even if that may not have always been the case, and may not be the case in the future.

Also, I have heard "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Blitzkrieg Bop" at least as often on the radio in the past 20 years as any given Clash song.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:You forget that the Ramones have been marketed to high heaven as T-shirt fodder for a while now. I would argue that their name is more sellable in 2016 than the Clash, even if that may not have always been the case, and may not be the case in the future.

Also, I have heard "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Blitzkrieg Bop" at least as often on the radio in the past 20 years as any given Clash song.
"CBGB? I love that band!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:You forget that the Ramones have been marketed to high heaven as T-shirt fodder for a while now. I would argue that their name is more sellable in 2016 than the Clash, even if that may not have always been the case, and may not be the case in the future.

Side note: Ramones t-shirts tend to be really good. The album covers and their logo translate super well to the shirt format.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Depends on the radio station. I've heard the Clash in grocery stores and banks. That is a real kick in the nuts in terms of their cool factor or punk cred, something that the Ramones will always have over them, but I'm skeptical that the Ramones' potential audience is greater than the Clash. The latter became a big name rock band; the former, I don't think, ever left the punk tag. Not a slur on them by any means, but being labeled a genre band (just as with writers) does limit your popularity.

edit: If the Ramones are more popular than the Clash, however nostalgic popularity is determined, it isn't a clearcut thing.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:

Side note: Ramones t-shirts tend to be really good. The album covers and their logo translate super well to the shirt format.
Patches, badges, and stickers, too.