RIP Prince

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: RIP Prince

Post by muppet hi fi »

matedog wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Hey muppet, any chance you could upload a mix of like second tier Greatest Hits? I want to dig deeper than the one collection I have (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_Best_of_Prince).
Sorry Matey, no can do. My CD drive's been toast for a while now and all my stuff is on CD. Here's 25 great ones (not on your best of comp) from his most iconic era, 1980-89. I bet Marky has all this stuff and could do you a comp.

1. Uptown - 'Dirty Mind', 1980
2. When You Were Mine - 'Dirty Mind', 1980
3. Partyup - 'Dirty Mind', 1980
4. Controversy - 'Controversy', 1981
5. Sexuality - 'Controversy', 1981
6. Jack U Off - 'Controversy', 1981
7. Let's Pretend We're Married - '1999', 1982
8. D.M.S.R. - '1999', 1982
9. Lady Cab Driver - '1999', 1982
10. Take Me With You - 'Purple Rain', 1984
11. Baby I'm a Star - 'Purple Rain', 1984
12. Tambourine - 'Around the World In a Day', 1985
13. Pop Life - 'Around the World In a Day', 1985
14. New Position - 'Parade', 1986
15. Girls and Boys - 'Parade', 1986
16. Mountains - 'Parade', 1986
17. Play In the Sunshine - 'Sign O' the Times', 1987
18. Starfish and Coffee - 'Sing O' the Times', 1987
19. I could Never Take the Place of Your Man - 'Sign O' the Times', 1987
20. The Cross - 'Sign O' the Times', 1987
21. It's Gonna Be a Beautiful Night - 'Sign O' the Times', 1987
22. Dance On - 'Lovesexy', 1988
22. Anna Stesia - 'Love Sexy', 1988
23. I Wish U Heaven - 'Lovesexy', 1988
24. Electric Chair - 'Batman', 1989
25. The Future - 'Batman', 1989

I kept my list to mostly uptempo/rockers, just cuz.

I didn't list anything from the brilliant but hard to find 'Black Album' (1988), cuz it's so hard to get it may as well not exist outside of it's myth.

If you want a more complete "hits" set, the 3 disc 'The Hits/B-sides' is excellent and goes up to '93. Frankly, the b-sides disc is worth the price alone - the dude had more truly great b-sides from his '81-'89 run than anyone I can think of, including my other fave artists.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
matedog wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Hey muppet, any chance you could upload a mix of like second tier Greatest Hits? I want to dig deeper than the one collection I have (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_Best_of_Prince).
Sorry Matey, no can do. My CD drive's been toast for a while now and all my stuff is on CD. Here's 25 great ones (not on your best of comp) from his most iconic era, 1980-89. I bet Marky has all this stuff and could do you a comp.

I didn't list anything from the brilliant but hard to find 'Black Album' (1988), cuz it's so hard to get it may as well not exist outside of it's myth.

No myth and not exactly hard to find either. There are 147 copies for sale on Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/Prince-The-Blac ... ster/22037

Listen to the whole thing here :
https://theanalogkidblog.com/2014/01/07 ... ack-album/
Last edited by Marky Dread on 20 May 2016, 4:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:No myth and not exactly hard to find either. There are 147 copies for sale on Discogs.

Fuck the repress. Get yo'self an original vinyl pressing from before the album was recalled for a mere $8,800. A bargain at twice the price.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:No myth and not exactly hard to find either. There are 147 copies for sale on Discogs.

Fuck the repress. Get yo'self an original vinyl pressing from before the album was recalled for a mere $8,800. A bargain at twice the price.
No get two copies and listen in stereo. Fuckin' cheapskates... :lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:

No myth and not exactly hard to find either. There are 147 copies for sale on Discogs.

I had the '94 vinyl -release, and still have a cassette needle drop of the '88 original. But I figure if Matey doesn't want to cough up any money for PRN stuff, he sure as hell doesn't want to pay mad money for a copy of the 'Black Album'. So it can just remain a myth/Holy Grail thing for him :mrgreen:

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
JennyB wrote:Did nobody think the pic I posted was hilarious? Because I thought it was hilarious. :disshame:
I'd seen it. It's sorta funny, but makes clear that whoever designed it views most terrorists as Muslims (i.e. the 72 virgins nonsense). And there's a case to be made for that view these days. But I sure as hell ain't going there on a Prince thread... :naughty:

For those who like numbers maybe 77% or so:

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/08/77-o ... d-doctrine

But the joke is 99 and 44/100 % funny to me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

darter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
JennyB wrote:Did nobody think the pic I posted was hilarious? Because I thought it was hilarious. :disshame:
I'd seen it. It's sorta funny, but makes clear that whoever designed it views most terrorists as Muslims (i.e. the 72 virgins nonsense). And there's a case to be made for that view these days. But I sure as hell ain't going there on a Prince thread... :naughty:

You're just as likely to be killed by an English/American/Irish(man/woman) as you are by anybody else. Any idiot with a gun, extremist views or not is fucking dangerous.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
darter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

You're just as likely to be killed by an English/American/Irish(man/woman) as you are by anybody else. Any idiot with a gun, extremist views or not is fucking dangerous.
Oh, I know. Especially in the US.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
darter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Oh, I know. Especially in the US.
And ESPECIALLY in St. Louis.

He said from the safety of the suburbs of Murderville, USA.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Local news here in Minneapolis says the toxicology report should be released in a couple days. Not sure about the Carver County Sheriff's Office's criminal investigation...

Also, one of the responding paramedics claimed that PRN may have been dead for as long as six hours when he was found (by drummer Kirk Johnson and a personal aid).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Late summer/early autumn 1983. I'm at First Avenue in Minneapolis with my then girlfriend Shelly, who was also my boss at Zantigos (who soon sold out to Taco Bell). She was an older woman at the ripe old age of 23; I was a pup of 19. Shooting was about to start on the 'Purple Rain' filum; I knew nothing about it, although I'd been into Prince since 1980 with the 'Dirty Mind' album and seen him twice at the old Met Stadium in '81 on the 'Controversy' tour, and then in '82 for the '1999' tour with The Time and Vanity 6.

My GF and I were standing at the back bar in the main room; it was a dance night, no band. My late bro big Nick was on line, fetching us drinks. We were watching the videos on the big screen and I was rocking a bit (I remember hearing Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5's "The Message" for the first time that night I think): Shelly was being a dumb, albeit gorgeous, hick from the dreadful suburb of Woodbury.

Brother Nick walks up and nudges me with our drinks, says "Guess who's standing right next to you"; I say 'Wha?" over the loud music. He hands me and Shelly our bevies and says "Look to your right..."

I do. I immediately recognize Prince. The dude is short (I'm 5'11). I, being on top of the world at that point in my life, and quite without fear or my usual shyness, start in on him:

"HEY MAN!! HOW ARE YA?!! I LOVE YOUR STUFF!! IT'S FUCKING GREAT!!! BLAH, Blah, blah..."

The Man is nonplussed. He occasionally shifts his big doe eyes left to me, in polite consideration; I blather on very loudly right in his ear, soon getting the hint that he's not into this convo, just as soon seeing the looming image of his bodyguard Chick at his right side. Chick was huge (6'6", 350 lbs. or so). Big Chick is scowling at me - a poofy little worm in (most likely) camo BDU's, bowling shirt,Converse sneakers and a stupid mullet to boot. I get the message but just say 'fuck it' and start hollering in my GF's ear about who he is. And here's the funny part:

she gets right in his face and starts screaming at him (in her very obnoxious voice that sounded like a band-saw) and telling the true events from earlier that very same day.

"Yeah, well my boyfriend here, we were at a record store today (yep - Oarfolk at 26th & Lyndale), and I've never heard of you before, but he made me me buy one of your records. It was used, ya know it was like $2, so I said sure, why not. I haven't heard it yet, but he knows about music, some of it's pretty weird, but what the hell, I'll check it out and see if I like it..."

she went on like this for a good three or four minutes, her horrible drunk-girl, band saw voice cutting through the massive sound system. I'm saying to myself "please shut up, please shut up", and I glance up at Chick and the dude is laughing, REALLY laughing; he can hear her obnoxious voice too, and the doofy (but funny) shit she's saying. She's still going, I'm getting embarrassed and trying to use body language to get her away from PRN. The main room is thumping; Big Chick is laughing at us; I'm guzzling my drink; and then I look at the Man again.
Now, Shelly was gorgeous, don't know what she was doing with a dork like me: she was Dutch/Polish, with either African or Hispanic features/blood somewhere. She, if it weren't for her stupid '80s "Q-Tip" hair cut, could have been in an actual PRN video. Girl was fiiiine.

Yeah. So I chance another sorry/embarrassed look at Prince, and the dude is laughing. Really laughing. Laughing at our doofiness, or just charmed by Shelly's candor? Fuck knows...in a a few days they'd shut First Ave. down for over two weeks to film 'Purple Rain'; my then room mate and late buddy Katie O would be an extra in the crowd scenes; youse all know the rest...

And that's it. That's all I got. I don't care how "weird" or "arrogant" people who never met him thought he was (and he was, and earned the right every step of the way by just being flat out better than everybody else at everything), but I loved that motherfucker. Still do.

For the last time:

goodnight, sweet Prince.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:Late summer/early autumn 1983. I'm at First Avenue in Minneapolis with my then girlfriend Shelly, who was also my boss at Zantigos (who soon sold out to Taco Bell). She was an older woman at the ripe old age of 23; I was a pup of 19. Shooting was about to start on the 'Purple Rain' filum; I knew nothing about it, although I'd been into Prince since 1980 with the 'Dirty Mind' album and seen him twice at the old Met Stadium in '81 on the 'Controversy' tour, and then in '82 for the '1999' tour with The Time and Vanity 6.

My GF and I were standing at the back bar in the main room; it was a dance night, no band. My late bro big Nick was on line, fetching us drinks. We were watching the videos on the big screen and I was rocking a bit (I remember hearing Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5's "The Message" for the first time that night I think): Shelly was being a dumb, albeit gorgeous, hick from the dreadful suburb of Woodbury.

Brother Nick walks up and nudges me with our drinks, says "Guess who's standing right next to you"; I say 'Wha?" over the loud music. He hands me and Shelly our bevies and says "Look to your right..."

I do. I immediately recognize Prince. The dude is short (I'm 5'11). I, being on top of the world at that point in my life, and quite without fear or my usual shyness, start in on him:

"HEY MAN!! HOW ARE YA?!! I LOVE YOUR STUFF!! IT'S FUCKING GREAT!!! BLAH, Blah, blah..."

The Man is nonplussed. He occasionally shifts his big doe eyes left to me, in polite consideration; I blather on very loudly right in his ear, soon getting the hint that he's not into this convo, just as soon seeing the looming image of his bodyguard Chick at his right side. Chick was huge (6'6", 350 lbs. or so). Big Chick is scowling at me - a poofy little worm in (most likely) camo BDU's, bowling shirt,Converse sneakers and a stupid mullet to boot. I get the message but just say 'fuck it' and start hollering in my GF's ear about who he is. And here's the funny part:

she gets right in his face and starts screaming at him (in her very obnoxious voice that sounded like a band-saw) and telling the true events from earlier that very same day.

"Yeah, well my boyfriend here, we were at a record store today (yep - Oarfolk at 26th & Lyndale), and I've never heard of you before, but he made me me buy one of your records. It was used, ya know it was like $2, so I said sure, why not. I haven't heard it yet, but he knows about music, some of it's pretty weird, but what the hell, I'll check it out and see if I like it..."

she went on like this for a good three or four minutes, her horrible drunk-girl, band saw voice cutting through the massive sound system. I'm saying to myself "please shut up, please shut up", and I glance up at Chick and the dude is laughing, REALLY laughing; he can hear her obnoxious voice too, and the doofy (but funny) shit she's saying. She's still going, I'm getting embarrassed and trying to use body language to get her away from PRN. The main room is thumping; Big Chick is laughing at us; I'm guzzling my drink; and then I look at the Man again.
Now, Shelly was gorgeous, don't know what she was doing with a dork like me: she was Dutch/Polish, with either African or Hispanic features/blood somewhere. She, if it weren't for her stupid '80s "Q-Tip" hair cut, could have been in an actual PRN video. Girl was fiiiine.

Yeah. So I chance another sorry/embarrassed look at Prince, and the dude is laughing. Really laughing. Laughing at our doofiness, or just charmed by Shelly's candor? Fuck knows...in a a few days they'd shut First Ave. down for over two weeks to film 'Purple Rain'; my then room mate and late buddy Katie O would be an extra in the crowd scenes; youse all know the rest...

And that's it. That's all I got. I don't care how "weird" or "arrogant" people who never met him thought he was (and he was, and earned the right every step of the way by just being flat out better than everybody else at everything), but I loved that motherfucker. Still do.

For the last time:

goodnight, sweet Prince.
:cool:

My new pub story.
That Prince guy made some good music you know. He was a short skinny motherfucker but he made some good music. Hey and I know someone who stood next to him a couple of times. Yeah so whatcha got? ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

muppet hi fi wrote:Late summer/early autumn 1983. I'm at First Avenue in Minneapolis with my then girlfriend Shelly, who was also my boss at Zantigos (who soon sold out to Taco Bell). She was an older woman at the ripe old age of 23; I was a pup of 19. Shooting was about to start on the 'Purple Rain' filum; I knew nothing about it, although I'd been into Prince since 1980 with the 'Dirty Mind' album and seen him twice at the old Met Stadium in '81 on the 'Controversy' tour, and then in '82 for the '1999' tour with The Time and Vanity 6.

For the last time:

goodnight, sweet Prince.
Amazing. What a great story!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton has decreed June 7th Prince Day. So happy Prince Day, mates. And happy 58th birthday to PRN.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2016, 3:30pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
matedog wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

So he's finally back on Spotify and I'm digging into his hits beyond the 17 track Best Of that I bought in 2002. Man, how have I lived with out "When You Were Mine," "Controversy", "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?," "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" until now?

I'll dig into the rest of the recs from this list.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.