The Best

Re: RIP Prince

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
I haven't been scouring news sources for this storyline but I've certainly read heard plenty but I haven't seen anything about hiv.
Here was the first I heard of it.
That's bizarre, it was one of the headline stories on TV1 and TV3 News last night Slow news day in NZ!!
I've seen the story a few times today, though usually from unreliable sources.
Me too, but I'm not buying the Walterton Times again.
Yeah fuck that twat what was he thinking :)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Here was the first I heard of it.
That's bizarre, it was one of the headline stories on TV1 and TV3 News last night Slow news day in NZ!!
I've seen the story a few times today, though usually from unreliable sources.
Me too, but I'm not buying the Walterton Times again.
Yeah fuck that twat what was he thinking :)
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

I was on the video shoot at Paisley for one of the 'Emancipation' singles ("Betcha By Golly Wow", the old Stylistics tune, maybe?), and it was funny: Prince is in his stage get-up, heels and all, walking around giving orders to all these tough ass Norheast Mpls. biker looking hands. The dude had a really loud voice when he needed to, just like any other guy on the job. Everyone had complete respect for him as he was a total pro and was into the work, not some prima donna rock star.

Anyway, we're shooting in the A-stage room, and I'm standing just outside the entrance behind the big black dubiteen curtains to block natural light for the lamps and cameras. There was about an inch and a half of light showing through at the bottom. Suddenly the the tape stops, there's a bunch of yelling and I peek into the room and I see You Know Who, again, looking RIGHT AT ME, and he's pointing and saying stuff to the DP and lead gaffer, and I'm like "oh shit". Dudes start yelling at me: "Loose the light, moron!" I had a few clothes pins in my fanny pack and I'm scrambling to get the curtains pinned together and it's not happening and then I hear His distinctive voice: "C'mon!" I actually shouted back: "Hold on, boss. I got it!" (we were all told, if we had to address him, to just call him "boss")*.
I sprint a couple yards away and grab four pony clamps from my gig bag, rush back, and clamp that shit together, and throw a couple sandbags on it for good measure. Done. Much relief. The shoot continued. (btw - all the dancers were dressed in black body suits with white question marks on them that glowed in the dark. I don't think I ever saw the video, maybe it got pulled/ Not even sure of the song. Anybody ever see the vid for "Betcha By Golly Wow"?...)

* Our lead man was a guy named Chris 'Floater' Malone, a tough little Paddy from Boston who'd worked on Bruuuce's lighting crew up until 'The River' tour I think. Bruce went to his wedding too. Anyway, Floater refused to call Prince 'Boss').

EDIT: oh yeah, Prince's then-wife Maytae was on set too. She was gorgeous and very pregnant.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:I was on the video shoot at Paisley for one of the 'Emancipation' singles ("Betcha By Golly Wow", the old Stylistics tune, maybe?), and it was funny: Prince is in his stage get-up, heels and all, walking around giving orders to all these tough ass Norheast Mpls. biker looking hands. The dude had a really loud voice when he needed to, just like any other guy on the job. Everyone had complete respect for him as he was a total pro and was into the work, not some prima donna rock star.

Anyway, we're shooting in the A-stage room, and I'm standing just outside the entrance behind the big black dubiteen curtains to block natural light for the lamps and cameras. There was about an inch and a half of light showing through at the bottom. Suddenly the the tape stops, there's a bunch of yelling and I peek into the room and I see You Know Who, again, looking RIGHT AT ME, and he's pointing and saying stuff to the DP and lead gaffer, and I'm like "oh shit". Dudes start yelling at me: "Loose the light, moron!" I had a few clothes pins in my fanny pack and I'm scrambling to get the curtains pinned together and it's not happening and then I hear His distinctive voice: "C'mon!" I actually shouted back: "Hold on, boss. I got it!" (we were all told, if we had to address him, to just call him "boss")*.
I sprint a couple yards away and grab four pony clamps from my gig bag, rush back, and clamp that shit together, and throw a couple sandbags on it for good measure. Done. Much relief. The shoot continued. (btw - all the dancers were dressed in black body suits with white question marks on them that glowed in the dark. I don't think I ever saw the video, maybe it got pulled/ Not even sure of the song. Anybody ever see the vid for "Betcha By Golly Wow"?...)

* Our lead man was a guy named Chris 'Floater' Malone, a tough little Paddy from Boston who'd worked on Bruuuce's lighting crew up until 'The River' tour I think. Bruce went to his wedding too. Anyway, Floater refused to call Prince 'Boss').

EDIT: oh yeah, Prince's then-wife Maytae was on set too. She was gorgeous and very pregnant.

Just for the crack (in the curtain).

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forgot how much I like this track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:I was on the video shoot at Paisley for one of the 'Emancipation' singles ("Betcha By Golly Wow", the old Stylistics tune, maybe?), and it was funny: Prince is in his stage get-up, heels and all, walking around giving orders to all these tough ass Norheast Mpls. biker looking hands. The dude had a really loud voice when he needed to, just like any other guy on the job. Everyone had complete respect for him as he was a total pro and was into the work, not some prima donna rock star.

Wow. Marky - thank you my friend. That's it. That's the vid. Never seen it before.

Obviously got some of the details back ass-words, like the dancers body suits, and I don't remember the car. But it comes back to me now.

Ya know, I spent most of that day painting props and stage pieces (I remember being kinda pissed off because house painting/construction was my usual work besides stage hand stuff, and I'm thinking 'shit, here I am out at Paisley, working for one of my musical idols, and I'm fucking painting!').

But I'd never seen the video. Weird - since the Man died, all this stuff has been coming back on to YouTube. Some things still get taken down though; don't know if his staff or computerized software is just overwhelmed or they don't care any more or Prince's orders don't apply any more or what...

But I want to thank you for tracking this down and posting it. (I always thought it was an odd choice for a lead-off single from a 3 disc set that signaled a new era for him, but the dude was whacky...). Thanks again Mr. Dread. You the Man (well, after Bowie and Prince that is. Hope your health is good, mate :kiss: :mrgreen: ).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:Forgot how much I like this track.
Sheeeeiit. Sheeeeiiit. Been years since I heard Sheila's first two wonderful albums; they're basically PRN albums, like the Time's first two, just with different singers.

Never seen this vid. Awful as it is to admit, but one good thing to come out of PRN's death is that all this amazing stuff is back up on YouTube. Shit's insane. You're not supposed to be able to do this stuff. And in fucking high heels! Dance, music, sex, romance, rules OK! Cheers Marky! :approve:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Wow. Marky - thank you my friend. That's it. That's the vid. Never seen it before.

Obviously got some of the details back ass-words, like the dancers body suits, and I don't remember the car. But it comes back to me now.

Ya know, I spent most of that day painting props and stage pieces (I remember being kinda pissed off because house painting/construction was my usual work besides stage hand stuff, and I'm thinking 'shit, here I am out at Paisley, working for one of my musical idols, and I'm fucking painting!').

But I'd never seen the video. Weird - since the Man died, all this stuff has been coming back on to YouTube. Some things still get taken down though; don't know if his staff or computerized software is just overwhelmed or they don't care any more or Prince's orders don't apply any more or what...

But I want to thank you for tracking this down and posting it. (I always thought it was an odd choice for a lead-off single from a 3 disc set that signaled a new era for him, but the dude was whacky...). Thanks again Mr. Dread. You the Man (well, after Bowie and Prince that is. Hope your health is good, mate :kiss: :mrgreen: ).

Cool mate glad to be of assistance. Great story regards the vid shoot, of course someone has to do the behind scenes donkey work. But hey just to be able to say you were part of it and have a story to tell is awesome in itself. Hell I would've wiped his nose if it meant I had a chance to be a part of his greatness in any small way. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cool mate glad to be of assistance. Great story regards the vid shoot, of course someone has to do the behind scenes donkey work. But hey just to be able to say you were part of it and have a story to tell is awesome in itself. Hell I would've wiped his nose if it meant I had a chance to be a part of his greatness in any small way. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Yeah, we painted all the siding for the stage decking in the video. I remeber being cheesed off because I wasn't expecting to be doing such lowly work as painting , and I wasn't dressed in grubby painting clothes, and don't like to mess up my usual elegant work costumery :razz: It was freelance, that gig, not through the union (Local 13 I.A.T.S.E.).

We only shot the stage/dance sequences that day; the other stuff must have been shot elsewhere/another day. You'll notice his then-wife Maytae is never shown from below her chest. She was really pregnant and gave birth just a little while later I think. Horribly, their son died after about two weeks. But Christ, she was gorgeous. I never knew she was in the video at all.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Prince covering Train in Vain:

Pretty nice version. His voice sounds good.
(posted by Gil on fb)
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:Prince covering Train in Vain:

(posted by Gil on fb)
Cool. Cheers matey and Gil.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:Prince covering Train in Vain:

(posted by Gil on fb)
Cool. Cheers matey and Gil.
Yeah, his voice sounds great, same natural range as Mick too, I reckon.

Wonder if or why he didn't do it full band? Would have killed...

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Soundcheck, Japan, 1990. So gorgeous and effortless.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

PRN with Miles Davis, circa 1987 and the 'Sign O' the Times' Euro tour.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

[quote="muppet hi fi"][/quote]
Hey muppet, any chance you could upload a mix of like second tier Greatest Hits? I want to dig deeper than the one collection I have (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_Best_of_Prince).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.