The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:Sorry should've been more specific. I am referring to the Electric Nebraska session.
Ah.

Looks like there is a version of Reason to Believe that has leaked from those sessions, but that's it. I can't find a link for it on youtube, unfortunately. I put in a request on the fan site for it.

Here's what they have listed for songs that are on Nebraska that were later tried during the Born in the USA sessions:
JOHNNY 99
uncirculating..........................
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 27-28 and May 3, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions.

ATLANTIC CITY
uncirculating
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 26-28, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions. Apparently Springsteen imagined "Atlantic City" working best as a rocker. He wrote to Landau, 'This song should probably be done with whole band + really rockin' out'. Landau thought different and it was the solo version released. The full-band arrangement, however, remains a highlight of the live shows.

USED CARS
uncirculating
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 30, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions.

LOSIN' KIND
uncirculating.
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 30, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions. One of Springsteen's finest unreleased songs, it's absence from Tracks is hard to comprehend.

NEBRASKA
uncirculating
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 27-28 and 30, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions.

OPEN ALL NIGHT
uncirculating
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 27, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions. Working title was "Wanda".

MANSION ON THE HILL
uncirculating
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 27, 28 and 30, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions.

HIGHWAY PATROLMAN
uncirculating
Note: Recorded at The Power Station on April 30, 1982. Cut with the band during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions.

REASON TO BELIEVE - V1#
3:34
private
REASON TO BELIEVE – V2#
0:50
private
REASON TO BELIEVE – V3
uncirculating
Note: V1 and V2 are band rehearsals from Colts Neck in April 1982 during the so-called 'Electric Nebraska' sessions. V1 is a full-band take (missing the opening lines) of the song Springsteen recorded solo in January 1982. A work-in-progress, with some lyrical variation including an extra third verse. The first verse is sung by Springsteen alone accompanied by electric guitar, before drum and bass join in for the rest of the song. A driving beat features throughout. V2 is an short take of just the second verse. V3 is from April 27-28, 1982 with the band at The Power Station. Shortly after Springsteen would decide to release the solo version of "Reason To Believe" on Nebraska - see the timeline below for more detail.

Nevermind, it's listed as "private." I don't really know how that differs from uncirculating, but whatever.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

I was hoping for more snark.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
I was hoping for more snark.
I rolled my eyes at Greil Marcus because he was being Greil Marcus, if that counts.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I like a lot of the songs on BITUSA. Omit the title track replace it with Murder Inc., call the album Dancing In the Dark and I definitely would've bought that one.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
I understand that's clearly a social media intern, but it makes it look like he talks about himself in the 3rd person.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
I understand that's clearly a social media intern, but it makes it look like he talks about himself in the 3rd person.
I'd like to think of it as those humorous instances of old people trying to use social media and fundamentally messing up. In this case, him wishing himself a happy birthday in the third person.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
I'd like to think of it as those humorous instances of old people trying to use social media and fundamentally messing up. In this case, him wishing himself a happy birthday in the third person.
"You can watch me on the You Tube, including on the newer cellular telephones!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Good on Springsteen, man. Very easy for someone at his age and stature to become untethered from everyday moral reality.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
Haha, I forgot about this.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Silent Majority wrote:

Good on Springsteen, man. Very easy for someone at his age and stature to become untethered from everyday moral reality.
Absolutely.

(of course I lose cards for actually enjoying his music; the IMCT Thought Police are are real and here on earth now :shifty: ).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Opened the show in Brooklyn tonight with this. It works, beautifully.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Better sound/multiple camera angles on this video. Great tribute

matedog

Post by matedog »

Nice tribute and good call having Nils take the solo. He's the only one remotely close to Prince's skill level.