NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JohnS
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 733
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by JohnS »

Low Down Low wrote:
JohnS wrote:I can't remember where I read about it, but I'm sure Joe and the Meskies recorded a version of 'Virginia Plain' for a Roxy tribute album, which got canned.
I'd love to hear that, if it exists...
Never heard that, very interesting. I wonder if this is the album it was slated for, produced by Joe's pal Hein Hoven, although it's pre-Meskies and there's a version of VP on it with Rat Scabies on drums?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dream-H ... se/1560126
Good spot- I'd never heard of that album, and the release date (1997) ties in with some of Joe's wilderness years projects; and didn't he record with Rat Scabies somewhere or other?
Maybe I got my wires crossed about it being from the Mescakeros era, and the rumoured track was from these sessions- Joe visiting the studio and maybe running through a version or two, but didn't take it any further.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2294
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Low Down Low »

JohnS wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
JohnS wrote:I can't remember where I read about it, but I'm sure Joe and the Meskies recorded a version of 'Virginia Plain' for a Roxy tribute album, which got canned.
I'd love to hear that, if it exists...
Never heard that, very interesting. I wonder if this is the album it was slated for, produced by Joe's pal Hein Hoven, although it's pre-Meskies and there's a version of VP on it with Rat Scabies on drums?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dream-H ... se/1560126
Good spot- I'd never heard of that album, and the release date (1997) ties in with some of Joe's wilderness years projects; and didn't he record with Rat Scabies somewhere or other?
Maybe I got my wires crossed about it being from the Mescakeros era, and the rumoured track was from these sessions- Joe visiting the studio and maybe running through a version or two, but didn't take it any further.
It does seem a plausible link anyway. I think Scabies worked on the Grosse Point Blank soundtrack and is on the sticks on Generations and there may even be more stuff there. Have to say, try as I might, I can't audio-ise Joe doing Virginia Plain but would be great if there was something out there.

Jimmy Jazz
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1527
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 6:40pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Hoping the most for When Pigs Fly songs in great quality and the songs Joe and Mick were working on for a possible Clash reunion.

msza2
Sightsee MC
Posts: 299
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Hoping the most for When Pigs Fly songs in great quality and the songs Joe and Mick were working on for a possible Clash reunion.
Shit, forgot about the reunion stuff. What was the deal with those again -- they had some demos?

Would it be sacriledge to suggest that I wouldn't mind hearing someone else's vocals over the unfinished Streetcore songs?

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2294
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:Hoping the most for When Pigs Fly songs in great quality and the songs Joe and Mick were working on for a possible Clash reunion.
Shit, forgot about the reunion stuff. What was the deal with those again -- they had some demos?

Would it be sacriledge to suggest that I wouldn't mind hearing someone else's vocals over the unfinished Streetcore songs?
Don't think there are any demos. Just a bunch of lyrics Mick wrote that Joe was goign to knock up with the Mescaleroes, but never got round to it, least as far as I know anyway?

msza2
Sightsee MC
Posts: 299
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:Hoping the most for When Pigs Fly songs in great quality and the songs Joe and Mick were working on for a possible Clash reunion.
Shit, forgot about the reunion stuff. What was the deal with those again -- they had some demos?

Would it be sacriledge to suggest that I wouldn't mind hearing someone else's vocals over the unfinished Streetcore songs?
Don't think there are any demos. Just a bunch of lyrics Mick wrote that Joe was goign to knock up with the Mescaleroes, but never got round to it, least as far as I know anyway?
I thought demos sounded too good to be true. It'd be a treat if MIck laid down some vox over any unfinished Meskies tracks.

Jimmy Jazz
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1527
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 6:40pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:Hoping the most for When Pigs Fly songs in great quality and the songs Joe and Mick were working on for a possible Clash reunion.
Shit, forgot about the reunion stuff. What was the deal with those again -- they had some demos?

Would it be sacriledge to suggest that I wouldn't mind hearing someone else's vocals over the unfinished Streetcore songs?
Don't think there are any demos. Just a bunch of lyrics Mick wrote that Joe was goign to knock up with the Mescaleroes, but never got round to it, least as far as I know anyway?
I thought demos sounded too good to be true. It'd be a treat if MIck laid down some vox over any unfinished Meskies tracks.
http://www.nme.com/news/the-clash/73033

This article mentions "overnight recording sessions." Kind of vague but could be something.

ohsoso
Dirty Punk
Posts: 58
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 11:50am
Location: Stockholm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by ohsoso »

fucking and drooling all over myself...

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2294
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Low Down Low »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:Hoping the most for When Pigs Fly songs in great quality and the songs Joe and Mick were working on for a possible Clash reunion.
Shit, forgot about the reunion stuff. What was the deal with those again -- they had some demos?

Would it be sacriledge to suggest that I wouldn't mind hearing someone else's vocals over the unfinished Streetcore songs?
Don't think there are any demos. Just a bunch of lyrics Mick wrote that Joe was goign to knock up with the Mescaleroes, but never got round to it, least as far as I know anyway?
I thought demos sounded too good to be true. It'd be a treat if MIck laid down some vox over any unfinished Meskies tracks.
http://www.nme.com/news/the-clash/73033

This article mentions "overnight recording sessions." Kind of vague but could be something.
Only thing Mick seemed to give slightly different versions of the same story when doing interviews, I remember one story he told was Joe would work with the Meskies during the day, then Mick would come in and they'd pull an all-nighter together on their stuff. At least that was the plan anyway. Still possible they did do some stuff but sounds more like Joe just living in dream land to be honest..

msza2
Sightsee MC
Posts: 299
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
Only thing Mick seemed to give slightly different versions of the same story when doing interviews, I remember one story he told was Joe would work with the Meskies during the day, then Mick would come in and they'd pull an all-nighter together on their stuff. At least that was the plan anyway. Still possible they did do some stuff but sounds more like Joe just living in dream land to be honest..
It doesn't sound like they were ever in the same room together, but if Mick sent Joe some demos, I'd say there's a good chance Joe laid down some scratch vox over them.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk
Posts: 70
Joined: 26 Oct 2010, 2:17am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Carpentologist »

Anyone get the single? How does it sound? Any more information about the anthology?

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29087
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Flex »

Carpentologist wrote:Anyone get the single? How does it sound? Any more information about the anthology?
Have it, but haven't opened/listened to it yet. Hope to have time today or tomorrow to go through some of the records I picked up. Will report back unless someone else beats me to it.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1631
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by dave202 »

Carpentologist wrote:Anyone get the single? How does it sound? Any more information about the anthology?
Wasn't the single just a Record Store Day release? Is there going to be an Anthology at all?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1631
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by dave202 »

The closest thing to an Anthology courtesy of The (New) Vinyl Villian
https://thenewvinylvillain.wordpress.co ... -strummer/

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1631
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by dave202 »

dave202 wrote:The closest thing to an Anthology courtesy of The (New) Vinyl Villian
https://thenewvinylvillain.wordpress.co ... -strummer/

Post Reply