NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by JohnS »

Here's a good interview with Luce from December 2007, done just when The Future Is Unwritten was being released. I remember reading this and getting excited at the mention of putting together an 'amazing... art book' about Joe's archive, including unreleased stuff on CD. But 'it's a long time off, and it's not something that's going to be rushed in to'
Whether 2016 years is the required 'long time off' or not for some archive stuff to see the light of day, it's interesting to re-read it anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 63372.html
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JohnS wrote:Here's a good interview with Luce from December 2007, done just when The Future Is Unwritten was being released. I remember reading this and getting excited at the mention of putting together an 'amazing... art book' about Joe's archive, including unreleased stuff on CD. But 'it's a long time off, and it's not something that's going to be rushed in to'
Whether 2016 years is the required 'long time off' or not for some archive stuff to see the light of day, it's interesting to re-read it anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 63372.html
Thanks John, yes I remember that and was wondering whether anything was going to come of it.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I know the sum of jack shit about this stuff, so probably being dumb here but if this is a Sony project then does that imply it can only be wilderness era stuff as opposed to Mesky era material?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:I know the sum of jack shit about this stuff, so probably being dumb here but if this is a Sony project then does that imply it can only be wilderness era stuff as opposed to Mesky era material?
Wouldn't that depend on who now owns the rights to the back catalogue?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:I know the sum of jack shit about this stuff, so probably being dumb here but if this is a Sony project then does that imply it can only be wilderness era stuff as opposed to Mesky era material?
Wouldn't that depend on who now owns the rights to the back catalogue?
Never mind the bollocks i just posted, just gibberish.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

This is great! hopefully this anthology will have a lot of wilderness years tracks on it.
BTW, I believe the Hellcat years wasn't a compilation, but just all the Mescaleros albums re-released with bonus songs.

JoeRoberts
Corner Soul

Post by JoeRoberts »

How would you like this anthology would be?

Let's write down the possible tracklist!

Me, I would like to hear some "When The Pigs Fly" or "Walker" outtakes: Sara Driver and Alex Cox talked about "hours" of music that Joe gave them fro their movies...
And I remember "Divorcing Jack" was a very nice song.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Honestly I would be okay with a nice remastering of the best of the released stuff, just to have everything mixed similarly. Unreleased stuff would be great if the quality is there, but I don't need it. Hours of Walker music is interersting though...

I hope if it's multi-disc, they at least serperate the tracks into 'good stuff' and 'curiousities'.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

JoeRoberts wrote:Me, I would like to hear some "When The Pigs Fly" or "Walker" outtakes: Sara Driver and Alex Cox talked about "hours" of music that Joe gave them fro their movies...
which reminds me of a question I posted here years ago, and it never got answered... did anybody ever got to see this 2-DVD set, featuring a 30-min Jim Jarmusch doc of Joe recording stuff for 'When Pigs Fly'??

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/ar ... ara-driver

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

JohnS wrote:
JoeRoberts wrote:Me, I would like to hear some "When The Pigs Fly" or "Walker" outtakes: Sara Driver and Alex Cox talked about "hours" of music that Joe gave them fro their movies...
which reminds me of a question I posted here years ago, and it never got answered... did anybody ever got to see this 2-DVD set, featuring a 30-min Jim Jarmusch doc of Joe recording stuff for 'When Pigs Fly'??

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/ar ... ara-driver
Trying to download a copy now john.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Dug this up from this old thread http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... streetcore
a cd of Streetcore work in progress mixes which runs thus
1:Get Down Moses
2:Boxwood Motel (Arms Aloft in Aberdeen)
3:Fantastic
4:Coma Girl
5:London is Burning
6:Secret Agent Man
7:Silver and Gold
8:Midnight Jam
All are slightly or very different mixes from the finished album and Secret Agent Man remains unreleased at present.
Maybe this will see the light of day. Interesting All in a Day wasn't even in contention at this point. Fantastic is Ramshackle Day Parade.

I wonder if this is the tracklist that Luce nixed.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:Dug this up from this old thread http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... streetcore
All are slightly or very different mixes from the finished album and Secret Agent Man remains unreleased at present.
Maybe this will see the light of day. Interesting All in a Day wasn't even in contention at this point. Fantastic is Ramshackle Day Parade.

Ramshackle Day Parade is fantastic. All in a Day never quite warmed to. Would be great to hear this stuff alright.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I can't remember where I read about it, but I'm sure Joe and the Meskies recorded a version of 'Virginia Plain' for a Roxy tribute album, which got canned.
I'd love to hear that, if it exists...

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

JohnS wrote:I can't remember where I read about it, but I'm sure Joe and the Meskies recorded a version of 'Virginia Plain' for a Roxy tribute album, which got canned.
I'd love to hear that, if it exists...
Never heard that, very interesting. I wonder if this is the album it was slated for, produced by Joe's pal Hein Hoven, although it's pre-Meskies and there's a version of VP on it with Rat Scabies on drums?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dream-H ... se/1560126

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:Dug this up from this old thread http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... streetcore

Ramshackle Day Parade is fantastic. All in a Day never quite warmed to. Would be great to hear this stuff alright.
I like All in a Day. Very catchy and gives the back end of Streetcore a much needed jolt. It does feel the most cobbled together of the Streeetcore tracks though, and I cringe a bit at the "I'm wearing a vest" line, which has always reminded me of Mondy Burns