Happy Birthday, Purple Hayes! (01/10/62 - 03/10/16) R.I.P.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Happy Birthday, Purple Hayes!

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I read this last night and was a little too bummed to reply. Rob made me laugh a lot. I will miss him.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I'm only just catching up on this news- PH was one of the main characters on here and his posts were always funny, or (if serious) spot on accurate. I never got to meet him but definitely know we would have got on.
I can't believe we won't see any more.
Condolences to the PH family and loved ones
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ClashBoardJunior wrote:Thanks for the kind words everyone. Appreciate the love he had here!

I actually have quite a few pics of that night I believe, you three in the venue, outside the front and in the pub - not sure if you both have them? Happy to post them up here!
That would be really nice to see them, thanks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Damn. I really wasnt around while Rob was active here but I can tell he meant a lot to everyone and he'll be greatly missed. RIP mate.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Rob was cool as fuck. My deepest condolences.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

ClashBoardJunior wrote:Thanks for all the nice words about him. Means alot that he was thought highly of.

Unfortunately we lost him tonight. Have the Clash on f*cking loud and proud for him wherever you are, I'm sure he can hear it! Would always talk about this place and the charcters and I'm sure I met one or two before Hard-Fi and Big Audio Dynamite gigs with him. Even waited an hour in Cologne to meet someone off here who no-showed on us! He outlasted Thatcher and that was all he wanted the day he was diagnosed, to see that b*tch in the ground before him!
I am so very sorry to hear your news, but thank you for taking the time to come on here and tell us. Can't have been easy, but I'm sure your dad would be very proud that you did.

Your wish is my command. GEER will be going on very soon.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Re: Happy Birthday, Purple Hayes! (01/10/62 - 03/10/16) R.I.P.

Post by Vimmattu »

I am so very sorry. My deepest condolences to you and your family. I only knew him from this board, but your father was a top geezer. I will blast some Clash now and pour a drink or two. Cheers, Rob!
- Pilled up and rrattling -

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Sorry to hear about this sad news.

The fact that we knew it was coming didn't soften the blow.

I heard about it on Facebook last night (U.S. time), and didn't sleep very much because of the news.

We will all have memories of him, and he will be missed.

Some of us only knew him from his online persona, but even through the Internet his unique personality and great wit (dry, as all wit should be) was evident for all to see and benefit from.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in person for a great weekend of music in Somerset, almost exactly two years ago.

It was then that I learnt of his terminal illness, although if I had been paying attention, I think he announced it here even before that.

But we didn't talk of it, only nodding knowingly when he took his quasi-legal pain meds ... :shifty:

It's good to know he's not in any more pain.

I'll always look at the photo below and remember the good times we had. Here we are together outside the concert venue in Minehead, enjoying scandalously expensive pints of Guinness (that's his good mate Tom B. in the middle):
Robert, Tom B., Spiff
Robert, Tom B., Spiff
A_Nolan-personal 005_20%.jpg (134.83 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
RIP, Robert McDonald.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Oh, man. Rest in punk, PH/Rob.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Very sad - RIP Purple Hayes.

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

RIP Purple Hayes will raise a glass and blast The Clash tonight.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Just read the news, and dammit, I'm so sorry. He was such a great guy. :cry:

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Just caught up with this. Condolences to you and your family. R.I.P. PH.

ClashBoardJunior
Corner Soul

Post by ClashBoardJunior »

Overwhelmed by the money raised here for his hospice, wonderful gesture and will go towards the great work they do there so very happy. Flowers are always nice but always feel it's a shame to see them all go to waste after the day.

Everybody from the board are welcome to a celebration of his life on Tuesday 29th March in Uxbridge at the Battle of Britain club - we start at 2pm but will run all through the day if you can only make it after work. Expect only good music that he'd have listened to and just a small gathering of people who want to have a drink and discuss his life - nothing formal & no dress code. Feel free to show up and come find myself (Adam) or my brother (Ross) and say hello - be great to hear any or all stories about my old man.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

ClashBoardJunior wrote:Overwhelmed by the money raised here for his hospice, wonderful gesture and will go towards the great work they do there so very happy. Flowers are always nice but always feel it's a shame to see them all go to waste after the day.

Everybody from the board are welcome to a celebration of his life on Tuesday 29th March in Uxbridge at the Battle of Britain club - we start at 2pm but will run all through the day if you can only make it after work. Expect only good music that he'd have listened to and just a small gathering of people who want to have a drink and discuss his life - nothing formal & no dress code. Feel free to show up and come find myself (Adam) or my brother (Ross) and say hello - be great to hear any or all stories about my old man.
I hope you have a fantastic celebration tomorrow. I will be thinking of you.