Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Strummservations

Post by Low Down Low » 30 Nov 2015, 8:34pm

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Whatever happened to the book/ box that was being put together from Joe's personal archive of lyrics and tapes that was being catalogued after he died?
No idea mate. There were/are loads of stuff found after Joe passed and we can only hope it will see the light of day.
I thought Lucinda was putting it together, I remember there was something on here about it.
There was a guy who made one post about some great stuff being found but he wasn't allowed to say to much. I seem to remember it was all being remixed/remastered.
There was talk of a book of handwritten lyrics as well.
I thought it was only song lyrics and drawings, but great to think there might have been music there too. I remember Lucinda being quoted as saying they would take their time about it, but that must be 7-8 years ago at least. Just hope it hasn't been shelved completely.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 01 Dec 2015, 2:14am

Regardng the above, why do Clash/Joe fans always seem to get a crappy reissue deal? A band of the Clash's stature should be getting curated to within an inch of their lives. The DVD side of things is an absolute joke, and Joe's back catalogue has been woefully overlooked. Add to that the cancelled Upping St and Sandinista special editions and you've got to wonder which clowns are in charge behind the scenes.

Remember, this is the band who let the bassist's wife manage their affairs for years.

Spinal Clash.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 01 Dec 2015, 10:51pm

Heston wrote:Regardng the above, why do Clash/Joe fans always seem to get a crappy reissue deal? A band of the Clash's stature should be getting curated to within an inch of their lives. The DVD side of things is an absolute joke, and Joe's back catalogue has been woefully overlooked. Add to that the cancelled Upping St and Sandinista special editions and you've got to wonder which clowns are in charge behind the scenes.

Remember, this is the band who let the bassist's wife manage their affairs for years.

Spinal Clash.
The issue would be more with Sony than any band members though, wouldn't it? I guess they figure it wouldn't bring in enough cash to be worth it...
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione » 01 Dec 2015, 10:53pm

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:Regardng the above, why do Clash/Joe fans always seem to get a crappy reissue deal? A band of the Clash's stature should be getting curated to within an inch of their lives. The DVD side of things is an absolute joke, and Joe's back catalogue has been woefully overlooked. Add to that the cancelled Upping St and Sandinista special editions and you've got to wonder which clowns are in charge behind the scenes.

Spinal Clash.
The issue would be more with Sony than any band members though, wouldn't it? I guess they figure it wouldn't bring in enough cash to be worth it...
I thought Hellcat Records was supposed to release it?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 01 Dec 2015, 11:42pm

Kory wrote:

Spinal Clash.
Would it be any less than say The Jam or Madness, both of whom have done a great job with their back catalogue and re releases.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 02 Dec 2015, 12:08am

101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

Spinal Clash.
Would it be any less than say The Jam or Madness, both of whom have done a great job with their back catalogue and re releases.
True enough. Maybe Sony still holds a grudge over all the contract problems back when.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 02 Dec 2015, 12:25am

Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

Spinal Clash.
True enough. Maybe Sony still holds a grudge over all the contract problems back when.
Not of there is money to be had they wont!!!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 02 Dec 2015, 5:01am

Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

Spinal Clash.
I think the way the corporate world works would mean that any of the players from then would have been fired, re-hired, retired, taken up with a different company, tried a spell as a dictator of a tiny South American republic, and taken up golf since then.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Dec 2015, 6:09am

Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

Spinal Clash.
I think the way the corporate world works would mean that any of the players from then would have been fired, re-hired, retired, taken up with a different company, tried a spell as a dictator of a tiny South American republic, and taken up golf since then.
They all started to wear blue and brown then?

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione » 13 Jul 2016, 6:53pm

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 13 Jul 2016, 7:39pm

I don't like Tony Parsons. That interview on the Cap Rad EP is just plain stupid.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 13 Jul 2016, 7:45pm

Marky Dread wrote:
I don't like Tony Parsons
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 13 Jul 2016, 9:24pm

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Is that about a boy?

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione » 13 Jul 2016, 10:07pm

Meant to post this in Clash observations thread.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 14 Jul 2016, 3:25am

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Is that about a boy?
He was too busy looking at Johnny.