Bloodshed in Paris this evening

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Bloodshed in Paris this evening

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:It's long been an article of faith that people come to North America to find a better life, that things are so great here that people want to be like us. Americans have historically been more given to this conceit, but I hear it more and more from Canadians nowadays. The homegrown Muslim terrorist question can be evidence of (1) something wrong with them; or (2) something wrong with us (i.e., that we're not as wonderful and worthy of imitation as we'd like to think). I'm certainly not discounting (1)—anyone who can rationalize such violence has allowed abstraction to conquer innate human commonality—but (2) is worthwhile evaluating. Holding ourselves up as an obvious ideal almost certainly impairs our ability to figure out a sensible way forward.
Well, sure, but the second one is never, ever going to happen so you have to start looking for solutions that work around that. Which is impossible. We're fucked.
The reason why we should feel so cynical about that kind of collective self-reflection is kind of curious. Germany has undergone a striking admission and shaming of its anti-Semitic past, whereas Japan largely covers up its brutal conduct during World War II. Two sides that lost WWII, different reactions. South Africa has had its Truth and Reconciliation process about apartheid, while Canada very grudgingly acknowledges its role in residential schools in the past (in short, aboriginal children were taken to religious schools where they were abused and taught to be ashamed of their culture). Two Commonwealth nations with colonialist pasts, yet different degrees of willingness toward acknowledging and atoning for it. Or America's half-hearted acceptance of its history of slavery—a bland acknowledgement that it was wrong, but no real consideration of its structural racist legacy or compensation. What is it about us—Canada and the US particularly, but Western European nations, too—that we reject meaningful self-reflection? I don't have even the germ of an answer, but I do know that it is possible for a nation to admit wrong-doing and to make an effort at atonement, so there must be something more particular at work.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

“They have guns. Fuck them, we have champagne,”

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2 ... &strip=all

That's actually a great, great cover.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater

Flex wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2 ... &strip=all

That's actually a great, great cover.
Inspired for sure.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

GOP Warns Refugees Likely To Be Driven To Terrorism By Way America Would Treat Them
CHARLESTON, SC—Declaring that opening the nation’s doors to displaced Syrians posed a major security threat, GOP leaders warned Tuesday that any refugees who resettled in the U.S. would most likely be driven to terrorism by the way America treats them. “We absolutely cannot provide a safe haven to these Syrians due to the very real threat that the abusive and hateful conduct of Americans will push the refugees toward radicalization and recruitment by extremist militant groups,” said Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), echoing the sentiments of numerous other presidential candidates and state governors who have argued that Syrian asylum seekers would in all probability embrace a radical jihadist worldview after constantly enduring anti-Muslim hate speech, racial epithets, and threats of violence and persecution by both the American people and government officials. “The moment we let these Syrians in, I promise that our most ruthless and cruel tendencies will take over, and we won’t relent until these refugees feel like they have no choice but to plan and execute a terror attack right inside our borders. It’s better to be safe than sorry in this situation.” Cruz claimed that the country did not face the same threat from Syria’s Christian refugees, stressing his confidence that only a small percentage of U.S. citizens would regard them as Muslim extremists.
http://www.theonion.com/article/gop-war ... aign=feeds
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
GOP Warns Refugees Likely To Be Driven To Terrorism By Way America Would Treat Them
CHARLESTON, SC—Declaring that opening the nation’s doors to displaced Syrians posed a major security threat, GOP leaders warned Tuesday that any refugees who resettled in the U.S. would most likely be driven to terrorism by the way America treats them. “We absolutely cannot provide a safe haven to these Syrians due to the very real threat that the abusive and hateful conduct of Americans will push the refugees toward radicalization and recruitment by extremist militant groups,” said Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), echoing the sentiments of numerous other presidential candidates and state governors who have argued that Syrian asylum seekers would in all probability embrace a radical jihadist worldview after constantly enduring anti-Muslim hate speech, racial epithets, and threats of violence and persecution by both the American people and government officials. “The moment we let these Syrians in, I promise that our most ruthless and cruel tendencies will take over, and we won’t relent until these refugees feel like they have no choice but to plan and execute a terror attack right inside our borders. It’s better to be safe than sorry in this situation.” Cruz claimed that the country did not face the same threat from Syria’s Christian refugees, stressing his confidence that only a small percentage of U.S. citizens would regard them as Muslim extremists.
http://www.theonion.com/article/gop-war ... aign=feeds
I thought the Onion was all made up stuff

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Shouldn't there be a space-time rip ending all baryonic life as we know it right about now?

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/texas-g ... -gun-here/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:Shouldn't there be a space-time rip ending all baryonic life as we know it right about now?

We're thru the looking glass, people …

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:Shouldn't there be a space-time rip ending all baryonic life as we know it right about now?

We're thru the looking glass, people …
This guy can see forever. . .
ImageImage
ImageImage
:twitch:

BostonBeaneater

I'll say this for the French, they ain't fucking around.

BostonBeaneater

BostonBeaneater

Remember the St. Louis:

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php ... d=10005267

The US, Canada, and Cuba refused these people. The ship went back to Hamburg where the Nazis ultimately murdered all 937 of them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:Remember the St. Louis:

The US, Canada, and Cuba refused these people. The ship went back to Hamburg where the Nazis ultimately murdered all 937 of them.
Part of citing history is then having it rebutted with "But this is different." :(

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Remember the St. Louis:

Part of citing history is then having it rebutted with "But this is different." :(
God forbid these kids get to sleep in a bed and go to school.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lynzybilling/wh ... .piLJVQ66W