Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Aug 2015, 9:21pm

Okay, an idea that I'll throw out here for consideration. This fall, I'm teaching a reading course on the use of rock as a way of talking about history. So far, I have all but one of my assigned readings in digital form (and plan on scanning the last one in the next week or so). Is there interest in running a parallel, virtual reading group on this stuff? Leaving aside logistics for organizing actual discussion online, is there sufficient interest to commit to a regular reading and discussion schedule? I've been involved in reading groups before and that discipline over several months is the biggest hurdle.

I've uploaded a snipped version of my syllabus, dealing only with the reading schedule (ignore the dates).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwid3wr9cqeqe ... e.pdf?dl=0

I know people have busy lives and all, so I certainly won't take offence to crickets and tumbleweed. But if we can get a half dozen or so people who want to debate popular music as a historical force, it could be fun.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by eumaas » 20 Aug 2015, 9:28pm

With school commitments now, I don't think I could really engage with the material as I'm already trying to do a blog, podcasts, and keep up philosophical reading on the side. Unfortunately.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Aug 2015, 9:34pm

eumaas wrote:With school commitments now, I don't think I could really engage with the material as I'm already trying to do a blog, podcasts, and keep up philosophical reading on the side. Unfortunately.
I suspect most people are in a comparable boat and I can appreciate that. No worries. :cool:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 20 Aug 2015, 9:38pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:With school commitments now, I don't think I could really engage with the material as I'm already trying to do a blog, podcasts, and keep up philosophical reading on the side. Unfortunately.
I suspect most people are in a comparable boat and I can appreciate that. No worries. :cool:
Sadly, it sounds awesome but I'm honestly up to my nipples in my animation course and shouldn't have even been here as often as I have been today.

I don't know why I chose to use my nipples as a yardstick, and I apologize for the traumatic image.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Aug 2015, 9:48pm

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sadly, it sounds awesome but I'm honestly up to my nipples in my animation course and shouldn't have even been here as often as I have been today.

I don't know why I chose to use my nipples as a yardstick, and I apologize for the traumatic image.
I'm considering doing a Michael Ginsberg on my own nipples now. X(

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 20 Aug 2015, 9:49pm

I should know a lot more about my time commitments after next Tuesday. I'd love to do it.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Aug 2015, 9:54pm

Flex wrote:I should know a lot more about my time commitments after next Tuesday. I'd love to do it.
$300 non-refundable fee required. :shifty:

Flex

Post by Flex » 20 Aug 2015, 9:57pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:I should know a lot more about my time commitments after next Tuesday. I'd love to do it.
Charge it to one Jon Q. Wolter. He's good for it.

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 20 Aug 2015, 10:01pm

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Charge it to one Jon Q. Wolter. He's good for it.
Naw, man. I'm just a penniless animation student and stay-at-home dad living in a surprisingly wealthy suburb, not one of you fancy politicians living in your massive mayoral palaces.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

Flex

Post by Flex » 20 Aug 2015, 10:04pm

Wolter wrote:Naw, man. I'm just a penniless animation student and stay-at-home dad living in a surprisingly wealthy suburb, not one of you fancy politicians living in your massive mayoral palaces.
I had Dudley, my man servant, read that to me while I sipped shasta from my gold chalice, and I chuckled.

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 20 Aug 2015, 10:06pm

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:Naw, man. I'm just a penniless animation student and stay-at-home dad living in a surprisingly wealthy suburb, not one of you fancy politicians living in your massive mayoral palaces.
I had Dudley, my man servant, read that to me while I sipped shasta from my gold chalice, and I chuckled.
Kudos to the use of Shasta in that response.

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 20 Aug 2015, 10:35pm

I would love to participate, though I never really have much of importance to say.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater » 20 Aug 2015, 11:18pm

I think I can do it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 21 Aug 2015, 6:18am

JennyB wrote:I would love to participate, though I never really have much of importance to say.
Importance, shimportance, it's just interpretation and conversation, an opportunity to do more applied thinking with some of the stuff that goes on here already.
BostonBeaneater wrote:I think I can do it.
Cool. I'll keep this open for a week or so and then we'll see where we're at.

Flex

Post by Flex » 26 Aug 2015, 12:34am

Insane work crisis defused. I think I'm in (I'll at least give it, er, the old college try)

Pex Lives!