A left-libertarian on Glenn Beck?

Politics and other such topical creams.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: A left-libertarian on Glenn Beck?

Post by matedog »

Still216 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I'm surprised that he's still pushing the anti-social justice button. He pissed off a lot of Christians the last time that surfaced, left and right. Beck will flame out, that's certain, but how close are we to that day?
He's on a cable news network and AM radio. He will probably pull enough of a marginal audience to sustain his Fox News TV show as long as he wants, until he says something more overtly racist than he already has, or something explicitly slanderous. He'll be on AM radio for forever. It's AM radio. I think Imus and the Greaseman are still on AM radio, so there you go.

As for when he drops out of the public consciousness ala Michael Savage and Dr. Laura...after the 2012 election is my guess.
Yeah I don't know if he'll fade away and off of tv like John Gibson did. It wouldn't hurt if he starts espousing eugenics like Gibson did.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

matedog wrote: Yeah I don't know if he'll fade away and off of tv like John Gibson did. It wouldn't hurt if he starts espousing eugenics like Gibson did.
One thing I'll give Beck credit for - he knows the line. As insane as he is (or acts - I still think it's all a WWE / morning-zoo schtick with a political twist), he seems to know the line that will get him thrown off the air and stays just far enough away from it. Michael Savage didn't, Opie and Anthony didn't, Imus didn't, Dr. Laura didn't last week (but no one much cared because she's irrelevant in 2010).
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Dr. Medulla wrote: Depending on what happens in 2012. If the "sitting around, reading 'Guns and Ammo,' masturbating in your own feces" crowd controls the convention and gets slaughtered by Obama a la 1964, that whole brand might be in retreat.
Yeah, I don't think the entire Tea Party thing is sustainable. There's too many divergent factions within said Tea Party, and I can see the younger anti-tax/government faction wanting to disassociate from the mostly older racist/anti-gay faction...but the entire phenomenon is married to those mouthbreathers at this point. I mean, a lot of them are proposing Sarah Palin as their ideal candidate, and she put the final nail in a very probable McCain victory in '08. They don't have the negotiation thing within them - they're an all-or-nothing lot - and a lot of the right wing, in my opinion, is going to put their votes and money where they might make a difference. I would guess "Do not allow a Palin nomination in 2012" is at the top of their list of goals.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still216 wrote:
matedog wrote: Yeah I don't know if he'll fade away and off of tv like John Gibson did. It wouldn't hurt if he starts espousing eugenics like Gibson did.
One thing I'll give Beck credit for - he knows the line. As insane as he is (or acts - I still think it's all a WWE / morning-zoo schtick with a political twist), he seems to know the line that will get him thrown off the air and stays just far enough away from it. Michael Savage didn't, Opie and Anthony didn't, Imus didn't, Dr. Laura didn't last week (but no one much cared because she's irrelevant in 2010).
I dunno—Beck is definitely a carny, but he also seems like the guy prone to start believing his own bullshit. Limbaugh and O'Reilly know exactly what they're doing—they're contemptuous of their audience and love using their displaced frustration—but Beck seems more of a flake with a certain religious tinge to him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Which suggests to me that maybe Beck isn't quite a true-believing weirdo, but rather savvy enough about his schtick that it's effectiveness is winding down. He's made a few million and can wander off without shooting himself in the face on-air.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Dr. Medulla wrote: shooting himself in the face on-air.
Hey, the last show hasn't aired yet, I can still hope. Fox is only a scant portion of his earnings and his damnable radio show is still around. He'll be with us for a while but not shoved in our faces everyday.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Bankrobber wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: shooting himself in the face on-air.
Hey, the last show hasn't aired yet, I can still hope. Fox is only a scant portion of his earnings and his damnable radio show is still around. He'll be with us for a while but not shoved in our faces everyday.
Beck: 2012.

http://www.petitiononline.com/gb4prez/petition.html
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Did you guys see the Daily Show last night? OMG! Jon went all out doing his GB impersonation. Brilliant.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[youtube][/youtube]

Child abuse is godliness!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Huckstery lunacy, but now in dungarees!
http://gawker.com/glenn-becks-big-dumb- ... 1695502127

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Huckstery lunacy, but now in dungarees!
Holy shit, I love this story.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Huckstery lunacy, but now in dungarees!
Holy shit, I love this story.
I wanna see some pics of his daughter who apparently built like Marylin Monroe.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/rand ... y-30512759

No insurance. How very straight-edge, in a highly compartmentalized manner of speaking. :shifty: