Please ignore

Politics and other such topical creams.
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Please ignore

Post by Chuck Mangione »

no link bur where does all the money in a college tuiton go, in my opinion we're just paying straight to the teachers pocket cause if you think about it the only ting we have to pay for really is textbooks which are only 200 dollars and computer use which you can get at a library. i dont really think the five figures in a coolege tuition should be so much we should have it be like 4000 for all colleges thats the price of like 20 text books. courses shouldn't cost anything because thats bullshit and the government or whoever the fuck should pay for the teachers who do a shitty job anyway and are very prejudice and anyway
Last edited by Chuck Mangione on 29 Mar 2015, 7:45pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: Educatino sytem

Post by Rat Patrol »

:shifty:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

i want answers

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Chuck Mangione wrote:i want answers
Then seek them instead of advertising your own ignorance like it's supposed to be cool. It's not cool. It's not cute. It's not funny. It impresses no one, Chuck.

Sincerely,

-- A 14-year veteran textbook editor who deals all day with destitute untenured college instructors working for peanuts and doing their best (usually in vain) to try to connect with unprepared students. And son of a 25-year veteran union-dues paying English teacher who I guarantee you is vastly more telepathically appalled at your grammar than she is at your parroting the most banal anti- teacher basic-standard-of-living talking points this side of Fox News.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

not trying to be cool I'm just anti-intellectual and lazy. Education should be cheap and not so freaking expensive where you can just learn so much of it in a library, online, or in a textbook. if that's being ignorant than I don't know what else to say.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Chuck Mangione wrote:not trying to be cool I'm just anti-intellectual and lazy. Education should be cheap and not so freaking expensive where you can just learn so much of it in a library, online, or in a textbook. if that's being ignorant than I don't know what else to say.
Then I don't see what the problem is here. You're content being anti-intellectual and lazy. Education, teachers, libraries, textbooks, online learning are all equally fucking useless to the anti-intellectual and lazy. As is learning through experience. So why expect someone else to boil down myriad extremely complex issues and hand a bunch of easy answers to you on a silver platter because you're bored and want the satisfaction of going "Durr-hurr! Edjumicashun is for losers"? There's a billion and a half ways to learn--many of them not requiring the $80,000 in student debt for the piece of paper--but you have to fucking want to learn first. Just like you have to want to teach to find it worthwhile to put up with all the thankless shit for low pay 90% of teachers have to put up with. And you have to want to create better forms of learning materials to put up with the shit my peers do in this industry. Once the state is done with your compulsory education at Grade 12 or whichever point beforehand it's legal to drop out, education is a coalition of the willing. Nobody is in the business of gift-wrapping a better educational experience to those who deep down don't want one. I do not willingly spend my 1:00am on a Sunday morning finishing up the last bits of a proofread on a chapter from a brand new interactive online Chemistry eBook so Johnny Who Was Never Gonna Read Anyway can say it's totes nonconformist dude to bag on the teachin' lady...Beavis. :shifty: And I damn sure don't do it for the nonexistent pay. I do it for the coalition of the willing: the authors, teachers, and students who want a better way to learn.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

no problem whatsoever but i don't think you see what im saying. if nyu for instance costs 70,000 now to get in, what the hell is all that for? textbooks or testing doesnt cost that much and it seems thats the only thing schools use to teach when there are other ways like individually showing the pupils how to solve something. so, if all that money to get in, not the debt, is so high and the resources are so measly where does all the money go? it seems we are just dumping our money in a cashgrab or just handing it to nowhere. the teachers sure as hell aren't getting any of it, i can tell you that, which is good because a learner paying the pedagogue directly to show them how seems very pimp-prostitute like.

It also seems that if a school 70,000 you are paying for the brand because i bet those schools suck at teaching and basically education is very bad in this country if idiots like me can't even figure out why it is bad.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chuck Mangione wrote:I'm just anti-intellectual and lazy.
Self-awareness is a start.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Didn't you used to be better at spelling?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Yeah, sorry about this.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

There is an with education costs, but I think laying the problem at the feet of the actual educators is deeply misguided. I think one of the best writers going at the moment, both in terms of defending the value of higher education and digging into the actual problems of scholastic cost and performance, is Freddie deBoer. Here's an example piece from him: http://fredrikdeboer.com/2014/02/01/onl ... l-realism/

If you're really interested in the value of education, and the structural problems of academia today, I can't recommend his blog highly enough.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Flex wrote:There is an with education costs, but I think laying the problem at the feet of the actual educators is deeply misguided. I think one of the best writers going at the moment, both in terms of defending the value of higher education and digging into the actual problems of scholastic cost and performance, is Freddie deBoer. Here's an example piece from him: http://fredrikdeboer.com/2014/02/01/onl ... l-realism/

If you're really interested in the value of education, and the structural problems of academia today, I can't recommend his blog highly enough.
Thanks, Flex. That sounds like it answers what I was looking for. I'll check it out.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So were you drunk or otherwise high when you wrote your original rant chuck?

Tuition money obviously goes to a lot of things. if you think about it for a bit you should come up with a few things. Do you currently live with your parents or do you rent your own place? There are bills to pay either way even if you aren't paying them.

Is your overall point that a college education is too high in the US? Yes but many states have a good university system where you can go to school for what is still a reasonable price.

Another thing I've learned is that being a good student in high school can go a long way. I chose not to work too hard in high school so when I applied for college I wasn't offered any money at all and had few options. My kid however worked really hard and was offered some full scholarships, she didn't want to go to those places but we were all able to agree on a good school that gave her a partial and wouldnt put us in the poor house paying the rest (NYU can't be your only option).

So I agree that college should be less expensive overall but there are ways to lower that cost.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I had some Bailey's. No weed. It could have been that I was mad at a bad grade I got on an essay that was clearly at least 15 points more worthy than a 64. I think she's prejudiced against me personally because I have a friend of the same race as me in that class as me who didn't even hand it in the day it was due and might be less adequate with essay writing whom she favors a lot and so lemme just ask him what he got on it next time I see him in class and we will see.

Re: seriousness. I will check my school's tuition information to see where all this money is going to, as well as the blog Flex recommended. But, yes, the actual, educational side of our government is very fucked at the moment, nationally, and I'm not just talking about money. Statewide there are some good schools that are inexpensive and communal but overall the way education is today still sucks and it definitely needs fixing.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

I'm only going to post this once, because I have no intention of feeding any more of this belligerent ignorance.

http://www.ct.edu/admission/tuition

Have at it. There's water, water everywhere if you can be arsed to drink it. Your state tax dollars fund a really good State U system that's affordable debt-free--even WITHOUT the readily-available financial aid that most applicants can easily qualify for--on little more than a part-time job during the school year and full-time job during summers. A way better public U system than when I was looking at colleges 20 years ago this summer, with well-connected libraries and resources at campuses statewide that way outslug the value of the commuter-student tuition if you want to take advantage. I don't even get what the appeal is in the status of that expensive-as-fuck piece of paper from a private racket like NYU if you don't even have the foggiest idea what you want to do with that piece of paper. And a lot of prospective students are finding this out: more often than not value-for-money is the best way to get the formal education. Because 75% of what floats you in the real world is typically going to be your own initiative, not the singular focus (and wrecking your finances with that target fixation) for the piece of paper.

If you want to keep making excuses for not taking advantage of good resources available, there is nobody out there who's going to take it up for you. Educators and their whole supply chain of education tools have enough of a challenge guiding the students who really want to learn but come in poorly-equipped for it to waste their time trying to reach the ones who voluntarily refuse to be reachable. Do not expect the world to feel sorry for you for suffering the real-life diminishing returns that not wanting it enough consigns you to. It is there in spades for the taking if you want to pursue it.