TRAC Demo's

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: TRAC Demo's

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:When I first moved to NY in 1988 I was a "bootlegger" or "tape trader", more like a bootlegger but really neither. I would go to shows and record them with a pretty high quality (for those days) Sony tape recorder and then sell the tapes on St. Marks Place, usually within a couple of days. I had a partner who had a business doing that. St Marks Place back then was full of book sellers and junk sellers and boutiques and record stores. Not the Yuppieville it is now. I was in a stand right next to Trash and Vaudeville. If any band came by, which there were many, and objected most were cool and we just stopped selling their tapes. I got to meet a lot of my rock star heroes back then by doing this. Now what happened to my tapes after they were sold I had no control of and I know that my recording to Sonic Youth at Central Park was made into a CD and sold for usually 20-25$ at record stores. One of my recordings of Johnny Thunders was also made into a CD and sold elsewhere. Does that make me evil or just spreading the love and making some chump change.
Well you were a bootlegger who sold tapes. A tape trader is someone who trades tapes for another tape.

Evil, I don't know about that. With respects if you were only in it for as you say "spreading the love" then you would've been swapping tapes with friends or giving them away freely. But you were selling them for a profit however big however small. Your tape may well have been re-used to make a CD boot but what's the difference other than price, none as far as I can see. Now you were not forcing anyone to buy your tapes and I expect you like many other tape sellers had a tape deck so people could listen to what they were buying before parting with their money.

I bought many so called "bootleg tapes" back in the day and the first thing I did was to pirate that and give my friends copies so they didn't have to pay for it. This of course is where the 2nd/3rd generation tapes come from. With the advent of CD and a decent original source then CD copies are nowhere near as bad as tapes were for killing the sound quality. But when someone takes poor quality Mp3's and tries to pass them off as "great sounding" then this is evil. My main argument would be that you were filling a gap in the market and there is always a market for this stuff. How much you cared about what you were selling and to what quality control you would have only you would know.

My main problem with Chuck looking on eBay for a copy of the T.R.A.C. files is that they are already here in a listenable quality and with artwork that I took some time and care with. You're already getting these files for free and as this is a forum for the musician who made this music we should at least show him some respect. Especially as he has been extremely generous when it comes to sharing his music. I don't want to see some wanker putting out a CDr of these files with artwork I made to be shared with this community freely just so he can make a couple of £££ or $$$ on eBay.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I agree, but back then there was no internet and this was even before the proliferation of bootleg CD's, to buy a bootleg CD from a record store would have cost you 20-25$ per disc, double disc set=50$ so my tapes were cheap at 8$ a piece. Didn't do it for too long but it was a cool way for a kid who just moved to NYC to meet people and hang out on St. Marks Place. Didn't really make that much money. Now I've grown to hate the record stores that charged me a fortune for a cheap quality boot CD's and am free and open about sharing my music collection. I haven't ever even looked at ebay for music but I know a lot of people do. Maybe they are unable to put the time in and search the interwebs to download, maybe they aren't computer savvy, I don't know.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Between paying like 25-50 bucks for a shitty, mislabeled rip on the world's cheapest CD blanks, and essentially the same price as an album for a "maxi-single" that was basically the song you already had on the album and 4-8 remixes running the gamut from "interesting-but-inessential" to "unrecognizable garbage," the 90s were chock full of terrible ways to spend money on music.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 3:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

If we could only get people to stop getting music for free they should be paying for and others to stop paying for music they should be getting for free, the industry would be in a much better place.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Everything should be free.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 3:59am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Everything should be free.
Get James Burke on the case; everything will be free by 2043.

In an article for the Radio Times in 1973 Burke predicted the widespread use of computers for business decisions, the creation of metadata banks of personal information, and changes in human behaviour, such as greater willingness to reveal personal information to strangers. In an interview on the PM programme on BBC Radio 4 on 30 August 2013 Burke discussed his predictions of a post-scarcity economy driven by advances in nanofactories, which he believes may be viable by the year 2043.[8]

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 4:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I chose my words carefully! I think I had that and Being Boiled and the Gang of Four Anthrax EP and the Mekons on a Fast compilation album. Great stuff, must dig it out.

Edit; no it wasn't, it was Circus of Death on the compilation.

I heard that interview in 2013. He reckoned that we would no longer need to live in communities because we will have machines to make whatever we need. It was a very interesting prediction.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 4:01am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:I chose my words carefully! I think I had that and Being Boiled and the Gang of Four Anthrax EP and the Mekons on a Fast compilation album. Great stuff, must dig it out.

I heard that interview in 2013. He reckoned that we would no longer need to live in communities because we will have machines to make whatever we need. It was a very interesting prediction.
Yes every household will have it's very own Flex. :shifty:
Netflex?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:I chose my words carefully! I think I had that and Being Boiled and the Gang of Four Anthrax EP and the Mekons on a Fast compilation album. Great stuff, must dig it out.

Yes every household will have it's very own Flex. :shifty:
Netflex?
Ugh, give me some double plus good crab juice.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 4:02am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »