Shameless Self Promotion Department

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Shameless Self Promotion Department

Post by matedog »

And oh shit, Mark Lester did Showdown in Little Tokyo as well. Another top tier trash action film for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
Wolter wrote: 2. Commando (recorded)
Ha. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Good director, actually, believe it or not.
I actually think it's a fairly well made action movie. But yes, good director.
Going to have to give this one a listen as it's one of my favorite movies all time. I love all the gaffs (exploding solider's launch pad is clearly visible is a particularly egregious example).
We somehow never talked about any of the real mistakes. I mostly gushed.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
Wolter wrote: 2. Commando (recorded)
Ha. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Good director, actually, believe it or not.
Going to have to give this one a listen as it's one of my favorite movies all time. I love all the gaffs (exploding solider's launch pad is clearly visible is a particularly egregious example).
Like a school girl about the quarterback.

My favourite parts: "Doberman cruise." "Spoiler alert for life: life ends in death."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote: Ha. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Good director, actually, believe it or not.

My favourite parts: "Doberman cruise." "Spoiler alert for life: life ends in death."
In hindsight, I should have realized a podcast about 80s movies would have several movies with Dobermans in them. There's another in next week's.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:And oh shit, Mark Lester did Showdown in Little Tokyo as well. Another top tier trash action film for me.
especially the part where Brandon Lee admires Dolph's penis.

Class of 1984 is an alltime great too.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote: I actually think it's a fairly well made action movie. But yes, good director.

In hindsight, I should have realized a podcast about 80s movies would have several movies with Dobermans in them. There's another in next week's.
And yet the definitive Doberman movies—The Doberman Gang, The Daring Dobermans, and The Amazing Dobermans—are from the early to mid 70s. I always that Dobies were the scary dog of the 70s, the 80s went for Rottweilers, and the 90s was when we decided pit bulls were the scariest dog imaginable.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: Going to have to give this one a listen as it's one of my favorite movies all time. I love all the gaffs (exploding solider's launch pad is clearly visible is a particularly egregious example).

And yet the definitive Doberman movies—The Doberman Gang, The Daring Dobermans, and The Amazing Dobermans—are from the early to mid 70s. I always that Dobies were the scary dog of the 70s, the 80s went for Rottweilers, and the 90s was when we decided pit bulls were the scariest dog imaginable.
To my recollection it was Dobermans and German Shepherds through the mid-80s, Pit Bulls through the mid 90s, THEN Rottweilers, but I suppose your mileage may vary.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote: We somehow never talked about any of the real mistakes. I mostly gushed.

To my recollection it was Dobermans and German Shepherds through the mid-80s, Pit Bulls through the mid 90s, THEN Rottweilers, but I suppose your mileage may vary.
Despite a certainty of Canuck mocking, I will state that no Canadian can ever fear a German Shepherd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Littlest_Hobo
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote: Like a school girl about the quarterback.

Despite a certainty of Canuck mocking, I will state that no Canadian can ever fear a German Shepherd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Littlest_Hobo
It's no Run Joe Run that's for sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Joe_Run
Run, Joe, Run was a Saturday-morning television program that aired on NBC from 1974 to 1976. It centered on Joe, a German Shepherd dog in the military's K-9 corps, and his master, Sergeant Will Corey (played by Arch Whiting). One day, during training, Joe was falsely accused of attacking his master, a crime for which the dog would be put to sleep as punishment. However, he escaped before being killed and a $200 bounty was put on his head.

Sgt. Corey believed Joe was innocent and also pursued him, hoping to find Joe before the authorities did. While on the run, Joe helped people he encountered.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote: Like a school girl about the quarterback.

It's no Run Joe Run that's for sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Joe_Run
Run, Joe, Run was a Saturday-morning television program that aired on NBC from 1974 to 1976. It centered on Joe, a German Shepherd dog in the military's K-9 corps, and his master, Sergeant Will Corey (played by Arch Whiting). One day, during training, Joe was falsely accused of attacking his master, a crime for which the dog would be put to sleep as punishment. However, he escaped before being killed and a $200 bounty was put on his head.

Sgt. Corey believed Joe was innocent and also pursued him, hoping to find Joe before the authorities did. While on the run, Joe helped people he encountered.
[/quote]

Holy shit, what a dark premise. Hey, kids, guess what? Adults make false accusations that could get you killed, so be ready to run!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Started listening to Commando this morning. You guys talk good and stuff.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Mate. Today I had to choose between listening to the new Flop House or MMIS first, and I chose your one.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Going to listen to this tonight!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:Mate. Today I had to choose between listening to the new Flop House or MMIS first, and I chose your one.
You fool!
JennyB wrote:
Going to listen to this tonight!
I only take one swipe at St. Louis!