I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

biopunk wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to current TV tech trends?

My mum is looking for a new TV (like this one), but I'm not up on what a "Smart TV" is/isn't.

My basic understanding is the software is upgradeable, but they may or may not be wire-less compatible? :huh:
The description of the firmware file and the manual indicate a usb port, so I don't imagine a wifi is mandatory for adjusting the software. You'd be able to download any firmware update onto a usb drive, plug it in to the tv, and update that way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

My mum is looking for a new TV (like this one), but I'm not up on what a "Smart TV" is/isn't.

My basic understanding is the software is upgradeable, but they may or may not be wire-less compatible? :huh:
The description of the firmware file and the manual indicate a usb port, so I don't imagine a wifi is mandatory for adjusting the software. You'd be able to download any firmware update onto a usb drive, plug it in to the tv, and update that way.
Yeah, that seems like how that model works. I like the control of that option vs wifi upgrades.

But it's the interface of how you interact with the TV in order to "surf the net" that I don't grok...

Phone/tablet/laptop as a keyboard seems more sensible vs the remote?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

biopunk wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, that seems like how that model works. I like the control of that option vs wifi upgrades.

But it's the interface of how you interact with the TV in order to "surf the net" that I don't grok...

Phone/tablet/laptop as a keyboard seems more sensible vs the remote?
Admitting my full ignorance over the state of technology, but would the tv have to be connected up with a cable box or wifi router to be able to access the Internet? That is, the tv is still the interface between you and your regular means to the Internet. Our tv is, I dunno, ten years old, but its function as a conduit to the Internet is dependent upon an AppleTV box, which is on the wifi network, or the cable box, which is wired up. Does a Smart TV offer more than what the Apple TV interface does?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Admitting my full ignorance over the state of technology, but would the tv have to be connected up with a cable box or wifi router to be able to access the Internet? That is, the tv is still the interface between you and your regular means to the Internet. Our tv is, I dunno, ten years old, but its function as a conduit to the Internet is dependent upon an AppleTV box, which is on the wifi network, or the cable box, which is wired up. Does a Smart TV offer more than what the Apple TV interface does?

There's the rub. As a Mac user, this TV seems to offer less than a "regular" TV + Apple TV.

The TV acts as a wifi hub for any "Smart" Samsung phones, tablets, and computer, but it can connect to internet by direct cable, or router/wifi. (The freeing the TV from a cable in the parent's house is the major selling feature with this TV.)

The guy at the store says there is a special keyboard to interact with the TV, but it gets returned a lot. He knows they can be connected to a Windows system, but isn't sure about a Mac, as there are audio problems.

(He also sent a link to a video, but it runs on shockwave.)

I'm assuming proprietary software is also going to be a big problem with this. :(

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've tried using the internet on my smart telly and it's a pile of shit. Buffer, buffer, buffer.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ugh, none of that sounds appealing. Perhaps if you're exclusively a Samsung person it would be workable, but not otherwise.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Ugh, none of that sounds appealing. Perhaps if you're exclusively a Samsung person it would be workable, but not otherwise.
Yeah, so that leads me to my next question: Any recommendations for a good LED TV?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

biopunk wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Ugh, none of that sounds appealing. Perhaps if you're exclusively a Samsung person it would be workable, but not otherwise.
Yeah, so that leads me to my next question: Any recommendations for a good LED TV?
We've got a ten-year-old 32" LCD Magnavox. I've been told by a couple people that that's a "bathroom-sized" tv. I get that it's a lot smaller than what people have for living room tv's now, but (a) people have tv's in their bathroom and (b) they have 32" tv's in their bathroom? I am RCS-level out of touch with television expectations.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

biopunk wrote:
I've got a Samsung smart TV with 3 USB connections on the back but I don't use the internet on it. The Missus does though when she's not using her iPad. The TV can do just about everything but cook a Sunday roast.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Marky Dread wrote:I've got a Samsung smart TV with 3 USB connections on the back but I don't use the internet on it. The Missus does though when she's not using her iPad. The TV can do just about everything but cook a Sunday roast.

:cool: One day. One day soon...

Heston

Post by Heston »

I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
Any good?

http://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/calendar ... lates.html

You can download and save.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
Any good?

They seem to be printable only. I need to physically be able to type info next to the date and then save. I need to add band bookings, birthdays, holidays etc next to the allotted date. Like a kind of year planner. I live in fear I will lose my real life diary and shit would really hit the fan.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Any good?

They seem to be printable only. I need to physically be able to type info next to the date and then save. I need to add band bookings, birthdays, holidays etc next to the allotted date. Like a kind of year planner. I live in fear I will lose my real life diary and shit would really hit the fan.
Google?

You get Google Calendar with any Google login. If you have Gmail, you already have it. It'll link it to any offline mail/calendar program or phone, and they offer the option on the account to download and back up all your data. Also get their full suite of other productivity apps...Contacts/Address Book, Docs, Drive, this new notetaking app called "Keep".

I mean, it's evil Google and and they try to force-feed you stupid Google+ in the process, but if you drill down into the settings you can get reasonable control over your privacy that doesn't get fucked-around with without your consent like Facefuck is known to do. Basically, the Google Apps package is so universally-used for serious business and shit that it's at the "it just works" and "it works with everything" stage of reliability. Especially the core apps like Gmail and Calendar.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Any good?

I just downloaded the template 1 multi coloured and you can open it in Word and add what you like. Am I missing something?

Ratty's post is better Google will suit you.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia