I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 29 Dec 2014, 4:34pm

biopunk wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to current TV tech trends?

My mum is looking for a new TV (like this one), but I'm not up on what a "Smart TV" is/isn't.

My basic understanding is the software is upgradeable, but they may or may not be wire-less compatible? :huh:
The description of the firmware file and the manual indicate a usb port, so I don't imagine a wifi is mandatory for adjusting the software. You'd be able to download any firmware update onto a usb drive, plug it in to the tv, and update that way.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by biopunk » 29 Dec 2014, 8:46pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
biopunk wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to current TV tech trends?

My mum is looking for a new TV (like this one), but I'm not up on what a "Smart TV" is/isn't.

My basic understanding is the software is upgradeable, but they may or may not be wire-less compatible? :huh:
The description of the firmware file and the manual indicate a usb port, so I don't imagine a wifi is mandatory for adjusting the software. You'd be able to download any firmware update onto a usb drive, plug it in to the tv, and update that way.
Yeah, that seems like how that model works. I like the control of that option vs wifi upgrades.

But it's the interface of how you interact with the TV in order to "surf the net" that I don't grok...

Phone/tablet/laptop as a keyboard seems more sensible vs the remote?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 29 Dec 2014, 9:25pm

biopunk wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
biopunk wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to current TV tech trends?

My mum is looking for a new TV (like this one), but I'm not up on what a "Smart TV" is/isn't.

My basic understanding is the software is upgradeable, but they may or may not be wire-less compatible? :huh:
The description of the firmware file and the manual indicate a usb port, so I don't imagine a wifi is mandatory for adjusting the software. You'd be able to download any firmware update onto a usb drive, plug it in to the tv, and update that way.
Yeah, that seems like how that model works. I like the control of that option vs wifi upgrades.

But it's the interface of how you interact with the TV in order to "surf the net" that I don't grok...

Phone/tablet/laptop as a keyboard seems more sensible vs the remote?
Admitting my full ignorance over the state of technology, but would the tv have to be connected up with a cable box or wifi router to be able to access the Internet? That is, the tv is still the interface between you and your regular means to the Internet. Our tv is, I dunno, ten years old, but its function as a conduit to the Internet is dependent upon an AppleTV box, which is on the wifi network, or the cable box, which is wired up. Does a Smart TV offer more than what the Apple TV interface does?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by biopunk » 30 Dec 2014, 5:21am

Dr. Medulla wrote:Admitting my full ignorance over the state of technology, but would the tv have to be connected up with a cable box or wifi router to be able to access the Internet? That is, the tv is still the interface between you and your regular means to the Internet. Our tv is, I dunno, ten years old, but its function as a conduit to the Internet is dependent upon an AppleTV box, which is on the wifi network, or the cable box, which is wired up. Does a Smart TV offer more than what the Apple TV interface does?


There's the rub. As a Mac user, this TV seems to offer less than a "regular" TV + Apple TV.

The TV acts as a wifi hub for any "Smart" Samsung phones, tablets, and computer, but it can connect to internet by direct cable, or router/wifi. (The freeing the TV from a cable in the parent's house is the major selling feature with this TV.)

The guy at the store says there is a special keyboard to interact with the TV, but it gets returned a lot. He knows they can be connected to a Windows system, but isn't sure about a Mac, as there are audio problems.

(He also sent a link to a video, but it runs on shockwave.)
Image



I'm assuming proprietary software is also going to be a big problem with this. :(
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26119
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston » 30 Dec 2014, 5:33am

I've tried using the internet on my smart telly and it's a pile of shit. Buffer, buffer, buffer.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Dec 2014, 7:08am

Ugh, none of that sounds appealing. Perhaps if you're exclusively a Samsung person it would be workable, but not otherwise.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by biopunk » 30 Dec 2014, 5:39pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Ugh, none of that sounds appealing. Perhaps if you're exclusively a Samsung person it would be workable, but not otherwise.
Yeah, so that leads me to my next question: Any recommendations for a good LED TV?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Dec 2014, 7:02pm

biopunk wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Ugh, none of that sounds appealing. Perhaps if you're exclusively a Samsung person it would be workable, but not otherwise.
Yeah, so that leads me to my next question: Any recommendations for a good LED TV?
We've got a ten-year-old 32" LCD Magnavox. I've been told by a couple people that that's a "bathroom-sized" tv. I get that it's a lot smaller than what people have for living room tv's now, but (a) people have tv's in their bathroom and (b) they have 32" tv's in their bathroom? I am RCS-level out of touch with television expectations.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35427
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Marky Dread » 30 Dec 2014, 7:32pm

biopunk wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Ugh, none of that sounds appealing. Perhaps if you're exclusively a Samsung person it would be workable, but not otherwise.
Yeah, so that leads me to my next question: Any recommendations for a good LED TV?
I've got a Samsung smart TV with 3 USB connections on the back but I don't use the internet on it. The Missus does though when she's not using her iPad. The TV can do just about everything but cook a Sunday roast.
Image
Image

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by biopunk » 30 Dec 2014, 10:15pm

Marky Dread wrote:I've got a Samsung smart TV with 3 USB connections on the back but I don't use the internet on it. The Missus does though when she's not using her iPad. The TV can do just about everything but cook a Sunday roast.

:cool: One day. One day soon...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26119
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston » 28 May 2015, 5:48pm

I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35427
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Marky Dread » 28 May 2015, 6:45pm

Heston wrote:I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
Any good?

http://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/calendar ... lates.html

You can download and save.
Image
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26119
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston » 28 May 2015, 7:12pm

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
Any good?

http://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/calendar ... lates.html

You can download and save.
They seem to be printable only. I need to physically be able to type info next to the date and then save. I need to add band bookings, birthdays, holidays etc next to the allotted date. Like a kind of year planner. I live in fear I will lose my real life diary and shit would really hit the fan.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Rat Patrol » 28 May 2015, 7:21pm

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
Any good?

http://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/calendar ... lates.html

You can download and save.
They seem to be printable only. I need to physically be able to type info next to the date and then save. I need to add band bookings, birthdays, holidays etc next to the allotted date. Like a kind of year planner. I live in fear I will lose my real life diary and shit would really hit the fan.
Google?

You get Google Calendar with any Google login. If you have Gmail, you already have it. It'll link it to any offline mail/calendar program or phone, and they offer the option on the account to download and back up all your data. Also get their full suite of other productivity apps...Contacts/Address Book, Docs, Drive, this new notetaking app called "Keep".

I mean, it's evil Google and and they try to force-feed you stupid Google+ in the process, but if you drill down into the settings you can get reasonable control over your privacy that doesn't get fucked-around with without your consent like Facefuck is known to do. Basically, the Google Apps package is so universally-used for serious business and shit that it's at the "it just works" and "it works with everything" stage of reliability. Especially the core apps like Gmail and Calendar.
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35427
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Marky Dread » 28 May 2015, 7:22pm

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I need an online 2016 calendar/diary that I can type things into on a laptop and save. I haven't got a printer and I'm sick of using a physical calendar to keep track of my life etc. Anything free online?
Any good?

http://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/calendar ... lates.html

You can download and save.
They seem to be printable only. I need to physically be able to type info next to the date and then save. I need to add band bookings, birthdays, holidays etc next to the allotted date. Like a kind of year planner. I live in fear I will lose my real life diary and shit would really hit the fan.
I just downloaded the template 1 multi coloured and you can open it in Word and add what you like. Am I missing something?

Ratty's post is better Google will suit you.
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests