Shows You Aren't Watching that Rule

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Shows You Aren't Watching that Rule

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:Original Battlestar Galactica is essentially unwatchable. Just trying to make it through the pilot is pure torture.
Yeah I agree with this. I never tried to watch the new one. Then there was this Buck Rogers show completely horrible.
I loved that show. It had Mel Blanc! :(
According to IMDB it also had Gary Coleman and Jamie Lee Curtis (top on I presume) for two episodes each. That fucking robot thing was the worst though. Also while this show was running and I guess fairly popular Gil Gerard aka Buck Rogers went to eat at a real swanky restaurant where my cousin worked as a car attendant. Ol' Gil gave him a full american dollar as a tip
In an episode of SCTV, Bob Hope announced his desire to remake The Greatest Story Ever Told with Gil Gerard as Jesus. That would have been insane to actually behold.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:Original Battlestar Galactica is essentially unwatchable. Just trying to make it through the pilot is pure torture.
Yeah I agree with this. I never tried to watch the new one. Then there was this Buck Rogers show completely horrible.
According to IMDB it also had Gary Coleman and Jamie Lee Curtis (top on I presume) for two episodes each. That fucking robot thing was the worst though. Also while this show was running and I guess fairly popular Gil Gerard aka Buck Rogers went to eat at a real swanky restaurant where my cousin worked as a car attendant. Ol' Gil gave him a full american dollar as a tip
In an episode of SCTV, Bob Hope announced his desire to remake The Greatest Story Ever Told with Gil Gerard as Jesus. That would have been insane to actually behold.
Apparently he was once married to Connie Selleca of Greatest American Hero fame who I believe was with him at the aforementioned restaurant if my memory serves me. I'm thinking back to when I heard the story that my other cousin relayed to me. Shows like this were pretty much forbidden in my house unless my dad wasn't around, if he was it was police procedural or football. Some comedies every so often like the Mel Brooks Robin Hood show and Get Smart re-runs. Most of the shows that talked about in school the next day were foreign to me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote: Yeah I agree with this. I never tried to watch the new one. Then there was this Buck Rogers show completely horrible.
Apparently he was once married to Connie Selleca of Greatest American Hero fame who I believe was with him at the aforementioned restaurant if my memory serves me.
God, it's like referring to ancient vaudeville stars. Yes, these people once walked the earth and were famous enough to be in People
Shows like this were pretty much forbidden in my house unless my dad wasn't around, if he was it was police procedural or football. Some comedies every so often like the Mel Brooks Robin Hood show and Get Smart re-runs. Most of the shows that talked about in school the next day were foreign to me.
We had a tv in the basement that was there so our dad wasn't annoyed by whatever the hell crap we wanted to watch. I associate The A Team with that small 15" (?) set because I'm pretty sure I never saw an episode on the "good" tv upstairs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I loved that show. It had Mel Blanc! :(
Apparently he was once married to Connie Selleca of Greatest American Hero fame who I believe was with him at the aforementioned restaurant if my memory serves me.
God, it's like referring to ancient vaudeville stars. Yes, these people once walked the earth and were famous enough to be in People
Shows like this were pretty much forbidden in my house unless my dad wasn't around, if he was it was police procedural or football. Some comedies every so often like the Mel Brooks Robin Hood show and Get Smart re-runs. Most of the shows that talked about in school the next day were foreign to me.
We had a tv in the basement that was there so our dad wasn't annoyed by whatever the hell crap we wanted to watch. I associate The A Team with that small 15" (?) set because I'm pretty sure I never saw an episode on the "good" tv upstairs.
Me and my Sister bought a cheap black and white TV so we could watch shows are parents didn't want to. I only remember the first two season of Hill Street Blues in BW.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:Me and my Sister bought a cheap black and white TV so we could watch shows are parents didn't want to. I only remember the first two season of Hill Street Blues in BW.
Yeah, I had a B & W for my Atari because my dad believed that video games systems would wreck a tv. So, nuh uh, I couldn't hook it up to one of the colour sets. Thinking back, I'm not sure I ever played Atari in colour except at friends' homes.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
daredevil wrote:Me and my Sister bought a cheap black and white TV so we could watch shows are parents didn't want to. I only remember the first two season of Hill Street Blues in BW.
Yeah, I had a B & W for my Atari because my dad believed that video games systems would wreck a tv. So, nuh uh, I couldn't hook it up to one of the colour sets. Thinking back, I'm not sure I ever played Atari in colour except at friends' homes.
There were two TVs in our house, one in the family room and one in my parents bedroom. I was allowed to watch what my father was watching in the family room and there was no way I was going to be able to buy one with my own money that''s not how things worked.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There were two TVs in our house, one in the family room and one in my parents bedroom. I was allowed to watch what my father was watching in the family room and there was no way I was going to be able to buy one with my own money that''s not how things worked.
When I was growing up, my dad watched country music and Lawrence Welk, Archie Bunker's Place, and the news. That's about it as far as I can recall. He was an electrical contractor and a workaholic, so pretty much every evening he was in his basement office working. So that opened up some television time—I'm guessing The A Team ran opposite something he liked—for me, but then I was also competing with my mother and my sister.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I was growing up, my dad watched country music and Lawrence Welk, Archie Bunker's Place, and the news. That's about it as far as I can recall. He was an electrical contractor and a workaholic, so pretty much every evening he was in his basement office working. So that opened up some television time—I'm guessing The A Team ran opposite something he liked—for me, but then I was also competing with my mother and my sister.
Webster. Your dad dug Webster. Maybe Mr. Belvedere. (And not the cranky Jack Webster my father dug...)
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

biopunk wrote:Webster. Your dad dug Webster. Maybe Mr. Belvedere. (And not the cranky Jack Webster my father dug...)
That … seems unlikely. I'm guessing Tommy Hunter was on at the same time.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Tommy Hunter is still alive? The wiki on his "career" is a hoot!

Side note: How many of us used pliers to change the channels?

Was this a global phenomenon, or just North American?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Just finished Gotham I enjoyed it I thought it got better as the story unfolded. Great to hear the Pistols in the season finale

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

101Walterton wrote:Just finished Gotham I enjoyed it I thought it got better as the story unfolded. Great to hear the Pistols in the season finale
I love the shit out of it. can't wait for return.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

biopunk wrote:Tommy Hunter is still alive? The wiki on his "career" is a hoot!

Side note: How many of us used pliers to change the channels?

Was this a global phenomenon, or just North American?
He's only 77? He seemed like he was in his 50s back in the 1970s.

I sort-of used pliers. On our living room set, you could change the frequency of the preset buttons for the channels by turning pegs in a panel, and that required using pliers. But it was how I converted a community access channel to MuchMusic.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I've used pliers, but for a long time my fingers were skinny enough that I could just reach in and move it manually.

How many people's fathers made them hold the antenna just right during an important sporting event?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:How many people's fathers made them hold the antenna just right during an important sporting event?
My dad had a big ol' antenna on the roof that was wired into the tv. He let the neighbourhood know that he'd arrived. Meanwhile, everyone else was getting cable.