matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:File Under: How To Write Like Greil Marcus
How a Bruce Springsteen concert helped bring down the Berlin Wall
According to the author of a book on the concert, it may have even, along with other factors, led directly to the fall of the Berlin Wall 16 months later.
Sure, there were "other factors," but it was mainly Springsteen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/how-a-bruc ... -1.2825639
Well it certainly wasn't Reagan, so the only other option is Bruce.
According to Billboard, the number one song in the US that week was Cheap Trick's "The Flame" (Jesus …), so I'm nominating that as the reason the Wall came down. Prove me wrong, children, prove me wrong.
I like that one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Everyone knows it was David Hasselhoff.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
According to the author of a book on the concert, it may have even, along with other factors, led directly to the fall of the Berlin Wall 16 months later.

According to Billboard, the number one song in the US that week was Cheap Trick's "The Flame" (Jesus …), so I'm nominating that as the reason the Wall came down. Prove me wrong, children, prove me wrong.
I like that one.
:(
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I like that one.
Why are you so terrible?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Like I need a reminder that a liberal arts major is less-than worthless in the real world. X(

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

the proof we need that the concept of a written language needs to die for the good of us all.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Darkness At the Edge of Town and The Promise are really good, so I started visiting Bruce's catalogue. Nothing really interested me (The River has it's moments) except Nebraska.
The only problem I have is it's a demo tape. Anybody know if full band recordings of the songs exist?

matedog

Post by matedog »

daredevil wrote:Darkness At the Edge of Town and The Promise are really good, so I started visiting Bruce's catalogue. Nothing really interested me (The River has it's moments) except Nebraska.
The only problem I have is it's a demo tape. Anybody know if full band recordings of the songs exist?
I highly recommend disc 2 of the Tracks compilation. It is mostly River outtakes that I (and most fans) think are a lot stronger than what made the actual album.

The electric Nebraska stuff has never leaked. The closest I could come to is some of the live versions at the time:
Atlantic City in particular sounds great:

More recently, he did a really great full band version of Reason to Believe
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

matedog wrote:
daredevil wrote:Darkness At the Edge of Town and The Promise are really good, so I started visiting Bruce's catalogue. Nothing really interested me (The River has it's moments) except Nebraska.
I highly recommend disc 2 of the Tracks compilation. It is mostly River outtakes that I (and most fans) think are a lot stronger than what made the actual album.

The electric Nebraska stuff has never leaked. The closest I could come to is some of the live versions at the time:

That live version of Atlantic City is great.
Too bad the full band recordings of Nebraska has never been released. I'll check out the Tracks CD.

matedog

Post by matedog »

daredevil wrote:
matedog wrote:

Too bad the full band recordings of Nebraska has never been released. I'll check out the Tracks CD.
It's 84/85, so the synths are a bit high. Disc 2 is the big one for River stuff, but there are a couple Darkness outtakes on Disc 1 - Don't Look Back, Hearts of Stone, Give the Girl a Kiss.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
daredevil wrote:
matedog wrote:

It's 84/85, so the synths are a bit high. Disc 2 is the big one for River stuff, but there are a couple Darkness outtakes on Disc 1 - Don't Look Back, Hearts of Stone, Give the Girl a Kiss.
Do you think Bruce will finally relent and allow this stuff a release?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
daredevil wrote:
matedog wrote:

Do you think Bruce will finally relent and allow this stuff a release?
Which stuff? The Tracks compilation is an official release.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sorry should've been more specific. I am referring to the Electric Nebraska session.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I wanted to clarify that I liked a lot of Bruce's songs on his albums that I listened to. Just not enough to go out and buy the album. The River is really good, but some of the songs just didn't click with me.
Same with BITUSA. I always liked DITD and Going Down, but never liked the title track.