Internet Man's Inhumanity to Internet Man

Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Internet Man's Inhumanity to Internet Man

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the-c ... 1646145844

Everything I never paid attention to in any way, shape, or form in the 2 months or whatever that #GamerGate has been raging neatly summed up in one article that relates it to every group of grievance-seeking assholes on the planet ruining it for everyone.

I'm not even in the mood to play Tetris anymore or log onto the Twitters I'm not signed up. :meh:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Internet Man's Inhumanity to Internet Man

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's a numbing and disappointing truth that utopian expectations always collapse into ugliness. Marxism gave us Communism and Nazism; the hippies and anti-war movement collapsed into Manson and Weatherman; and the Internet, with its promise of giving voice to diversity and expanding creativity, provides a megaphone and means of terrorizing others to those who hate pluralism.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the-c ... 1646145844

Everything I never paid attention to in any way, shape, or form in the 2 months or whatever that #GamerGate has been raging neatly summed up in one article that relates it to every group of grievance-seeking assholes on the planet ruining it for everyone.

I'm not even in the mood to play Tetris anymore or log onto the Twitters I'm not signed up. :meh:
Any lingering affinity or connection I felt with nerd culture broadly, and video game "culture" specifically, evaporated when this horseshit hit. Burn it down. Burn it all the fuck down.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:http://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the-c ... 1646145844

Any lingering affinity or connection I felt with nerd culture broadly, and video game "culture" specifically, evaporated when this horseshit hit. Burn it down. Burn it all the fuck down.
Word. I've been repulsed at these shitheads for months now.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Are you fucking shitting me, nerds?
Attachments
Bz9NNbrCQAARc49.png-large.png
Bz9NNbrCQAARc49.png-large.png (192.09 KiB) Viewed 5157 times

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Those cosplay get-ups have a lot of hiding places for weapons. The good thing is they get caught up taking pictures of them in their dress up.

Seriously, these people are sad and sick. What a waste of air.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BostonBeaneater wrote:Those cosplay get-ups have a lot of hiding places for weapons. The good thing is they get caught up taking pictures of them in their dress up.

Ironically, most cosplay people are women/accepting of women. They're probably the least assholish nerds around.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Those cosplay get-ups have a lot of hiding places for weapons. The good thing is they get caught up taking pictures of them in their dress up.

Ironically, most cosplay people are women/accepting of women. They're probably the least assholish nerds around.
This is true. Cosplayers, board game nerds, etc. But the difference is...that's a social activity. It frequently involves facetime with other actual human beings. Some of the most socially inept people I've ever known fit into that category, and yet they were socialized a lot more by being forced to interact in real-time with other humans. Rising tide lifts all boats, and so on. And yes...it's structurally a lot more egalitarian that way. Beggars can't be choosers, so the labels get boiled off. Guys talk to breathing females. The spectrum of sexuality is more or less irrelevant. Straight-edge nihilists don't judge the ones who come to every meet tripping balls on somethingorother. I used to live right by the engineering dorm at school. It wasn't BU's most noteworthy 'alternative lifestyle' dorm by accident. I think it was queer-cool and this sort of bustling community of the weird because of that. I picked up a part-time job at the dining hall, 7:00pm-midnight snackbar shift, and stayed at it almost 3 years mostly because it was such good people-watching...whatever board-game table table going on out in the front lobby attracted a collection of hangers-on, and they'd treat whoever was working the snack bar like their personal Sam Malone. It was awesome. Frequently strange and awkward, but the melting pot in action.

My younger cousins fit the same mold...two brothers, one of them's almost 30 and a band-camper turned music teacher and one of them's 25 and an unemployed engineering undergrad. Both into D&D, playfighting and obstacle courses, big WWE fans as little kids for the cosplay side of it. Traveled in likeminded friendship circles at the local state U campus with a lot of weirdos. The band-camper met his now-spouse in high school through band-camper activities and all things Harry Potter. The other one met his steady through a steampunk bicycle club. And they both will haul this same cast of characters and weirdos they collected years ago over the house for theme movie night or board games even though half these people have kids of their own now. They have to coordinate babysitters and whatnot when King Richard's Faire swings through the area.

And yes...nerds god laid. It wasn't exactly pretty to watch a courtship in action, but put socially awkward pairings in close contact and they figure it out. And then some. Those D&D tables in the dining hall tended to have a bit TMI coming from them about some pairing's 'self-discovered technique' with no mental filter applied. Dear god. I was not qualified to be the Sam Malone sounding board for some of that. :twitch:

Now, the #gamers. The ones I knew on campus always tended to be a bit more Stormfront than nerds. They were the ones who would sit in their dorm rooms with the shades drawn. If they'd make it downstairs to the dining hall at all it would be to load up the doom bunker with more snacks then disappear. Severe-looking...no chit-chat or eye contact...occasionally resentful stares at the other nerds having fun. And then back upstairs to the doom bunker. I shared an overnight shift with one of those guys in a 24/7 computer lab one summer session. Just me at the printer window and him lurking at a workstation deep in the server room. Nothing but evil eye from him the whole 8 hour shift as he would glance warily up at me from whatever chat log he was engrossed in. Always clad in some black straight-edge sloganeering T-shirt. At least once I caught him looking at some neo-Nazi websites, then explaining to some other #shithead just like him who worked upstairs and would occasionally visit that sometimes "I like to look at the dark side...you know, to get a sense of different perspectives."

And sooner or later after seeing the patterns of behavior and "self-expression"...it just became easier to pick out these people. Which sounds like horrible stereotyping (it is)...but the traits scream out like that enough that my instincts haven't been wrong nearly often enough for me to doubt where I'm grouping them. #Gamers give off those stink lines of separatism and whatever deeply fear/loathing-rooted anger is behind that. #Nerds give out at minimum some fractured signs of wanting to be social/socialized and at most...fracturedly social that's more social than anyone else's social. The difference is the petri dish you used to see both of them was usually some combination of your city or college + the Internet. And now it's shifted not only almost entirely to the Internet...but the viral Internet. Which disproportionately gives the Stormfront guys a lot more weapons in the arsenal while the nerds...well, proportionately they're still having various and sundry lives even if more of it is publicly-aired online than ye olde D&D table at the dining hall. "War" vs. "Life". That's the sum difference in motivations.

So why wouldn't the "war" people be acting the part of other aggrieved wingnut coalitions? Why wouldn't they? I'm surprised it's taken this long for the press and public at large to see the same language, the same rhetorical fallacies...as ordinary non-technological bigots. Hell, I'm surprised the JesusRandoids haven't targeted them as a proven GOTV growth demographic. Fits their collection of aggrieved coalitions like a glove.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Once I got passed What? this incomprehensible shit makes me want to climb a clocktower with a rifle. Start shooting into the dormitories of these children, spoilt, confused children.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If you've never read it, Parmy Olsen's We Are Anonymous has some parallels to this, inasmuch as it's about the weirdos on the fringes of cyberspace who live to make trouble. It sure seems great when they turn their vigilantism on Scientology or Steubenville, but they don't seem guided by a greater principle than making trouble and feeling righteous in their actions.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:If you've never read it, Parmy Olsen's We Are Anonymous has some parallels to this, inasmuch as it's about the weirdos on the fringes of cyberspace who live to make trouble. It sure seems great when they turn their vigilantism on Scientology or Steubenville, but they don't seem guided by a greater principle than making trouble and feeling righteous in their actions.
No, I actually think the Deadspin article pegged it closer. It's a coalition of the aggrevied. The same paranoid loons turning to bigotry to lash out about identity politics in full get-'yer-war-on mode. They are hand-in-glove with the "¡2nd amendment solushuns!", fundies, Randoids, separatists, dog whistlers, Alex Jones-worshipping doom bunkerers, and scared red-staters badgered into voting against their own interests like it's rooting for the home team. They fit in with any sort of grab-bag of right-wing blocs who have absolutely nothing in common with the other blocs--and are actively at war with them--except for the consistent anger, bigotry, and social maladjustment. They only reason they aren't an official Republican constituency is because nobody's tried to assimilate them into that borg yet like the other warring blocs. It's not even a right-wing ideology thing...I mean, there's bugfuck lack of ideological consistency in what we consider the right wing these days, and some of it ain't right-wing at all. . .

. . .but for the "coalition of the aggrieved" part. And acting every bit the part of the disgusting acting-out that comes with primary ID being a coalition of the aggrieved. How do you think the borg got so big? It wasn't because of political consistency...it's because "War of Grievances" IS the borg's identity. Behold...the latest group quacking the part.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:If you've never read it, Parmy Olsen's We Are Anonymous has some parallels to this, inasmuch as it's about the weirdos on the fringes of cyberspace who live to make trouble. It sure seems great when they turn their vigilantism on Scientology or Steubenville, but they don't seem guided by a greater principle than making trouble and feeling righteous in their actions.
No, I actually think the Deadspin article pegged it closer. It's a coalition of the aggrevied. The same paranoid loons turning to bigotry to lash out about identity politics in full get-'yer-war-on mode. They are hand-in-glove with the "¡2nd amendment solushuns!", fundies, Randoids, separatists, dog whistlers, Alex Jones-worshipping doom bunkerers, and scared red-staters badgered into voting against their own interests like it's rooting for the home team. They fit in with any sort of grab-bag of right-wing blocs who have absolutely nothing in common with the other blocs--and are actively at war with them--except for the consistent anger, bigotry, and social maladjustment. They only reason they aren't an official Republican constituency is because nobody's tried to assimilate them into that borg yet like the other warring blocs. It's not even a right-wing ideology thing...I mean, there's bugfuck lack of ideological consistency in what we consider the right wing these days, and some of it ain't right-wing at all. . .

. . .but for the "coalition of the aggrieved" part. And acting every bit the part of the disgusting acting-out that comes with primary ID being a coalition of the aggrieved. How do you think the borg got so big? It wasn't because of political consistency...it's because "War of Grievances" IS the borg's identity. Behold...the latest group quacking the part.
I'm seeing where any of this is mutually exclusive.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

A little crude...but he's got a cathartic way with words.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:Once I got passed What? this incomprehensible shit makes me want to climb a clocktower with a rifle. Start shooting into the dormitories of these children, spoilt, confused children.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia