Politics and other such topical creams.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Scottish independence?

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Spiff wrote:
Heston wrote:Our hypothetical new flag with Scottish colours removed and Wales' added, I like it...

Pshaw ... Don't you know that Wales is next jumping off your sinking ship? :mrgreen:
Soon enough it will just be Ulster and England sitting in a tree...
Yes they will never get rid of Ulster unfortunately.
Hey, y'all wanted an empire. You break it, you buy it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Spiff wrote:
Heston wrote:Our hypothetical new flag with Scottish colours removed and Wales' added, I like it...

Pshaw ... Don't you know that Wales is next jumping off your sinking ship? :mrgreen:
No we didn't want the Empire we wanted to steal other peoples stuff, the Empire was the Trojan Horse.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Spiff wrote: Pshaw ... Don't you know that Wales is next jumping off your sinking ship? :mrgreen:
No we didn't want the Empire we wanted to steal other peoples stuff, the Empire was the Trojan Horse.
Honestly, what would Ireland have to steal? Potatoes? Bogs? Railroad worke...oh, I get it now...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

David Cameron To Scottish People: ‘I’ll Kill Myself If You Leave’
LONDON—In an emotional public address this morning ahead of Thursday’s national referendum in Scotland, U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron pleaded with the Scottish people to stay and vowed that he would take his own life if the territory votes in favor of independence. “Scotland, the second you leave I will kill myself—I swear I’ll do it,” said a visibly disheveled Cameron, who spoke with a shaking voice and appeared at several points during the speech as if he was on the verge of breaking down in tears. “How can I go on living if you’re gone? If you vote yes to independence, that’s it—you can say goodbye to me right now, because I’ll be dead the next time you see me. Just look at what you’re doing to me!” At press time, Cameron was seen sobbing softly and climbing up the stairs to the top of Parliament’s Elizabeth Tower.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/david- ... f-i,36941/
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

My brother has just moved back to England after living in Sweden for 10 years. He told me that if you are Scots and live in England you do not get a vote however if you are one of the thousands of EU students at university in Scotland enjoying the no fees ( like all of my neice's friends from Sweden) you do get a vote even though you are only there temporarily. Guess which way they will all vote?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:My brother has just moved back to England after living in Sweden for 10 years. He told me that if you are Scots and live in England you do not get a vote however if you are one of the thousands of EU students at university in Scotland enjoying the no fees ( like all of my neice's friends from Sweden) you do get a vote even though you are only there temporarily. Guess which way they will all vote?
Interesting. The recent provincial election in Quebec, which was seen as a possible prelude to another independence referendum if the separatists won a majority (they had a minority and ended up losing the election), was marked by the denial of the vote to significant chunks of Quebeckers. It was not enough to reside in Quebec, to pay taxes there, or even have a driver's license issued by Quebec—it had to do with whether in your heart you were a Quebecker. The cardiologists, in this case, were elections officials, who—ho ho—tended to tell anglophones that, thanks for your tax dollars or years of residency, you are not sufficiently in love with the province. There were examples of people denied the vote on their anglo-sounding name winning their appeal when they went in person and clearly spoke in French. Utterly disgraceful.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm pulling hard for Scotland to leave tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Really excited for them.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

At this point I'd be shocked if "Yes" didn't win. Cameron could not have bungled the messaging on this more badly if he tried, and too many Little Englander elitists couldn't keep their yaps shut and exposed too much of their assholish internal monologues for the world to see.

It's why I'm half-convinced they wanted Scotland to bug off all along. The PR from the "stay" side has been so tone-deaf it almost seems designed to drive away Scotland. I'll still side with stupid over evil, because the way they've handled it is much more consistent with base stupidity than playing any sort of game of eight-dimensional chess to achieve a desired result. I don't envy Scotland's choice, but if I had any pride in where I lived I was from I don't think I would be at all undecided in the same situation despite deep reservations. There's no "United" Kingdom to preserve when the power center in the Kingdom has been that flippant about showing its unity to anything but themselves...England, London, party-over-country, any way you want to define the "themselves" as it relates to the ruling elite. A whole lot of the fear of the unknown re: "yes" has been removed by English boors acting like English boors.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Rat Patrol wrote:At this point I'd be shocked if "Yes" didn't win. Cameron could not have bungled the messaging on this more badly if he tried, and too many Little Englander elitists couldn't keep their yaps shut and exposed too much of their assholish internal monologues for the world to see.

It's why I'm half-convinced they wanted Scotland to bug off all along. The PR from the "stay" side has been so tone-deaf it almost seems designed to drive away Scotland. I'll still side with stupid over evil, because the way they've handled it is much more consistent with base stupidity than playing any sort of game of eight-dimensional chess to achieve a desired result. I don't envy Scotland's choice, but if I had any pride in where I lived I was from I don't think I would be at all undecided in the same situation despite deep reservations. There's no "United" Kingdom to preserve when the power center in the Kingdom has been that flippant about showing its unity to anything but themselves...England, London, party-over-country, any way you want to define the "themselves" as it relates to the ruling elite. A whole lot of the fear of the unknown re: "yes" has been removed by English boors acting like English boors.
I find I'm always surprised to learn that there's a good 28% more Tory arseholes in a place than I expected. Nothing can be taken for granted.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The other decent outcome of a Yes win is that the knives would be out for Cameron from within. I've always liked that British parties are willing to shiv their leaders. Party leaders in Canada have so much power that it's all but impossible to happen here.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:The other decent outcome of a Yes win is that the knives would be out for Cameron from within. I've always liked that British parties are willing to shiv their leaders. Party leaders in Canada have so much power that it's all but impossible to happen here.
I can't stand Cameron or his odious politics, but I shudder to think what kind of old school Eton fascist is going to shoot him in the back and take his place.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:The other decent outcome of a Yes win is that the knives would be out for Cameron from within. I've always liked that British parties are willing to shiv their leaders. Party leaders in Canada have so much power that it's all but impossible to happen here.
I can't stand Cameron or his odious politics, but I shudder to think what kind of old school Eton fascist is going to shoot him in the back and take his place.
I've never subscribed to "the devil you know" school. Kill the devil when you get the chance and reload for the next one.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

All jokes aside I now hope the yes wins if only because of the divide that all this has caused. If they were to lose how long before we have another Northern Ireland.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

A yes win would be a pretty hilariously historic fuckup from the no campaign.

Addendum: Which seems an increasingly likely outcome at this point, but my god, the sheer breathtaking incompetence is magnificent to behold.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

101Walterton wrote:All jokes aside I now hope the yes wins if only because of the divide that all this has caused. If they were to lose how long before we have another Northern Ireland.
Uh, I think you need to consider that a close vote only increases bad feelings all around, so a better question is: which areas are pro-Unionist/sectarian feelings going to kick off and what will be done to decrease that?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum