The Vinyl Thread

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

The Vinyl Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

With my new turntable I am on a mission of rediscovery of my love of vinyl. I have dusted off the old collection and spent the week working my way through. I forgot how different a listening experience was with vinyl as opposed to a stack of CD's or ipod etc.. I thought I had re purchased on CD all of the good stuff in my collection but far from it :approve:
I dug these two out to give them another go as I think both only had one listen each first time round:

Still not sure about the Ruts DC album (which also now sounds dated) but that Dexy's album is an absolute gem and is on heavy rotation after 30 years of being ignored.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by biopunk »

101Walterton wrote:With my new turntable I am on a mission of rediscovery of my love of vinyl. I have dusted off the old collection and spent the week working my way through. I forgot how different a listening experience was with vinyl as opposed to a stack of CD's or ipod etc.. I thought I had re purchased on CD all of the good stuff in my collection but far from it :approve:

Still not sure about the Ruts DC album (which also now sounds dated) but that Dexy's album is an absolute gem and is on heavy rotation after 30 years of being ignored.
Looking forward to this thread!

I remember a real synthy sax sound on that one. Sax and synth music generally gets binned by me pretty quick, so I have little recall of that album.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I need to buy a new belt
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:I need to buy a new belt
Why, been losing weight?

OK, where's me hat and coat...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Why, been losing weight?

The last song I played on my turntable was "Union City Blue" by Blondie, but it was so slow it sounded like "I Got the Union City Blues" by Blond Harry Deborah.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Why, been losing weight?

The last song I played on my turntable was "Union City Blue" by Blondie, but it was so slow it sounded like "I Got the Union City Blues" by Blond Harry Deborah.
Union City Blue is gorgeous song.
Haven't had a turntable for 15 years or so, and don't miss having to get new belts, stylus's, messing with the laser RPM thing. Sacrificed superior sound and, as SM poetically put it, ceremony for cheap and easy (CD). Oh well, I'm a lazy dope.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:With my new turntable I am on a mission of rediscovery of my love of vinyl. I have dusted off the old collection and spent the week working my way through. I forgot how different a listening experience was with vinyl as opposed to a stack of CD's or ipod etc.. I thought I had re purchased on CD all of the good stuff in my collection but far from it :approve:
I dug these two out to give them another go as I think both only had one listen each first time round:

Got them both, but on CD. I only got the Ruts DC one relatively recently (and hadn't heard it before then). I like it and I've played it quite a lot; give it another go! I bet the Dexys album took a few plays before you liked it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I bought the dexy's album when it was released and listened to it once. I bought a Dexy's Best Of CD a few years back and loved National Pride which was why I was keen to give the LP another go. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew and loved it from first playing ( second time around).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Other LPs I don't have on CD that I have enjoyed:
Armed Forces Elvis Costello
Sound Affects The Jam

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

101Walterton wrote:I bought the dexy's album when it was released and listened to it once. I bought a Dexy's Best Of CD a few years back and loved National Pride which was why I was keen to give the LP another go. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew and loved it from first playing ( second time around).
I have never heard that Dexys record. Is it worth trying to find?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

dave202 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:I bought the dexy's album when it was released and listened to it once. I bought a Dexy's Best Of CD a few years back and loved National Pride which was why I was keen to give the LP another go. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew and loved it from first playing ( second time around).
I have never heard that Dexys record. Is it worth trying to find?
Definitely.

101Walterton
The Best

Sign Of The Times

Post by 101Walterton »

Found the Belle Stars LP but I digress.
I was listening to More Specials yesterday with 25.25W. He is 11 and thinks swearing in songs is hilarious which is probably why he listens to Ed Sherrin just for the "up and coming like I'm fucking in an elevator" line. When Little Rich Girl (one of my favourite and very underrated Specials songs) came on. I was waiting for the "it's all a load of bollocks, its all a load of bollocks, its all a load of bollocks and bollocks to it all" but it went completely over his head. Bollocks is no longer a swear word in an 11 year olds vocabulary.

[youtube][/youtube]

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:

Got them both, but on CD. I only got the Ruts DC one relatively recently (and hadn't heard it before then). I like it and I've played it quite a lot; give it another go! I bet the Dexys album took a few plays before you liked it.
I'm with this guy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Yo! tep rush the show!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Come on 101 you must've bought more vinyl since your last post. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia