Seeds for the future

Politics and other such topical creams.
JulieJazz
Resident Luddite and Crank

Seeds for the future

Post by JulieJazz »

[youtube][/youtube]

interesting to note that recently I saw on several Canadian heritage seed websites the following or similar statement:
Due to Customs Regulations we regret we can no longer ship orders to the United States.

Not sure what the FDA's stance is on this or if they or the US government are trying to protect the impotent seeds and produce of the factory farming industry.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Seeds for the future

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JulieJazz wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

interesting to note that recently I saw on several Canadian heritage seed websites the following or similar statement:
Due to Customs Regulations we regret we can no longer ship orders to the United States.

Not sure what the FDA's stance is on this or if they or the US government are trying to protect the impotent seeds and produce of the factory farming industry.
My wholly uninformed guess is that it's related to the very fat subsidies involved with American agriculture. If you ever driven across the border, from Canada into the US, you have to surrender all fruits and veggies. Two winters ago, my brother-in-law and sister were held up for two fucking hours because he didn't mention the two apples they had in the car for snacks while driving.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JulieJazz
Resident Luddite and Crank

Post by JulieJazz »

Funny you should mention that. My father went down to the US last year by plane. He is diabetic so he had to bring a snack as the flight could not accomodate him properly. So he took an unpeeled orange...from California, with the label still attached. They would not let him take it on the plane. He pointed out it was one of their fucking oranges so what was the problem! He was well pissed. Now my crazy, conspiracy freak mom thinks they won't let their own produce back into the country because the oranges they produce for Canada are some kind of sub-standard, chemical filled, poison balls. Old people sure are entertaining! :shifty:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JulieJazz wrote:Funny you should mention that. My father went down to the US last year by plane. He is diabetic so he had to bring a snack as the flight could not accomodate him properly. So he took an unpeeled orange...from California, with the label still attached. They would not let him take it on the plane. He pointed out it was one of their fucking oranges so what was the problem! He was well pissed. Now my crazy, conspiracy freak mom thinks they won't let their own produce back into the country because the oranges they produce for Canada are some kind of sub-standard, chemical filled, poison balls. Old people sure are entertaining! :shifty:
Maybe because it is easy to conceal things in an orange.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JulieJazz wrote:Funny you should mention that. My father went down to the US last year by plane. He is diabetic so he had to bring a snack as the flight could not accomodate him properly. So he took an unpeeled orange...from California, with the label still attached. They would not let him take it on the plane. He pointed out it was one of their fucking oranges so what was the problem! He was well pissed. Now my crazy, conspiracy freak mom thinks they won't let their own produce back into the country because the oranges they produce for Canada are some kind of sub-standard, chemical filled, poison balls. Old people sure are entertaining! :shifty:
No real surprise. Customs guys are batshit regarding the "importing" of fruits and vegetables, regardless of all sense.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Customs guys are batshit, regardless of all sense.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, about ten years ago, I'm going to school in Iowa and hating it. One of my classmates has also decided that he's dropping out after the semester ends. Around March or so, he gets an invite to play at a noise music festival in London, ON. He asks me if I want to go, both to share the driving chores and he figures it might be helpful to have a Canadian—just in case. Which I found funny. So I went along. We hit the border at around seven in the morning and are asked to pull over and meet with the Canadian customs dinks. They don't want to talk to me, just the sketchy American musician. What it comes down to is that they want proof that he isn't going to stay in the country and become a welfare bum (that's almost verbatim). So I ask if I could be responsible for him. The customs dink asks me if I have a Canadian bank account. I pull out my wallet and show him my CIBC bank card. Welcome to Canada, boys. Huh? I had a bank card and that's good enough? What if all I have is $20 in the account? If you're going to be an asshole, actually put some rationality to it.

(I ended up having some difficulty coming back. Because the whole trip was spur of the moment, I didn't get permission from the international students office, who were my official sponsor. The American border dink busted my chops a bit, but it didn't amount to a hell of a lot.)