They don't make Nazis like they used to

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

They don't make Nazis like they used to

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Haider's deputy reveals gay affair
Conservative Austria was in a state of shock today after the male successor to Jörg Haider admitted to having a longstanding “special relationship” with the far right leader who died dramatically in a high speed car crash earlier this month.

Stefan Petzner – the 27-year-old who recently replaced Haider as leader of the right wing Alliance for the Future of Austria and has often appeared in tears on television since his death - effectively outed himself as the deceased’s gay lover while being interviewed on an Austrian radio breakfast show.

“I had to go to him. I had to go to him,” Mr Petzner said in his highly emotional interview as he recalled how he rushed to the hospital where the dead body of 52-year-old Haider was lying after his fatal crash in early October.

Admitting that he felt a “magnetic attraction” for Haider, whom he met five years ago while working as a cosmetics reporter, Mr Petzner insisted: “We had a relationship that went far beyond friendship. Jörg and I were connected by something truly special. He was the man of my life.”

He insisted that Mr Haider’s widow, Claudia did not object to his relationship: “She loved him as a woman. He loved her as a man. I loved him in a completely different and personal way. She understood that,” Mr Petzner said. However, the young man’s sister Christiane suggested in a newspaper interview that Mrs Haider had not always been so understanding. “Sometimes Claudia was jealous because Stefan would spend more time with her husband than she did.”

Clearly embarrassed by the revelations, party officials today attempted to limit the political damage and cancelled forthcoming interviews with Mr Petzner. Their attempts to prevent his radio interview being rebroadcast, however, were unsuccessful.

The revelations came after photographs in the Austrian media showing Mr Haider in a gay bar shortly before his fatal accident. Witnesses who were present at a magazine launch party where the two men were seen together on the night of the crash were quoted today as saying that Mr Haider had left in a hurry after an emotional argument with his deputy.

The far-right leader crashed his Volkswagen limousine while drunk and driving at more than double the speed limit, as he made his way to his mother’s birthday party in the early hours of the morning. He is reported to have told his chauffeur to go home. More than 25,000 people flocked to his quasi state funeral in Klagenfurt, the capital of the Austrian province of Carinthia where he was governor for more than a decade.

He died just days after his party had more than doubled its share of the vote in Austria’s general election and speculation swirled that he would once again figure in Austrian national politics. Nearly a decade ago, Mr Haider had been part of the ruling coalition with his Freedom Party, triggering EU sanctions on Austria after he praised Adolf Hitler’s employment policies and described Nazi SS veterans as “decent men.”

Austrian attitudes to gays in politics contrast sharply with neighbouring Germany where numerous politicians have outed themselves as homosexuals without anyone batting an eyelid. Rumours that Haider was either gay or bi-sexual first surfaced in Austria nearly a decade ago. However the far right leader, who fathered two children with his wife Claudia, refused to discuss them, fearing that they would alienate thousands of his ultra conservative followers.

Although his party was nicknamed the “Haider’s boy party”, until today conservative Austria had preferred to embrace his public persona as a traditional family man. Mr Petzner’s revelations have shattered that charade, and there was speculation today that after not even a month in the job, he might soon find himself replaced as leader of the Alliance for the Future of Austria.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: They don't make Nazis like they used to

Post by Wolter »

Actually, that's EXACTLY how they used to make them. cf. The Night of Long Knives.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:Actually, that's EXACTLY how they used to make them. cf. The Night of Long Knives.
They didn't talk about it in press conferences, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Actually, that's EXACTLY how they used to make them. cf. The Night of Long Knives.
They didn't talk about it in press conferences, tho.
I concede that point.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

Log Cabin Republicans. Here's their site and, oh look!, even an Austrian. Actually, joking aside, any liberal leaning part of the Republican party may now have a chance to wield some influence (assuming the far right wing is dead, or more accurately, undead.)

http://online.logcabin.org/

Schnix
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Schnix »

Oh those silly Austrians!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

arsebundren77
Junco Partner

Post by arsebundren77 »

I can't decide which I find more alarming, fascist Nazi lunatics alive and well in Hitler's homeland or the terms "cosmetics reporter" and "Volkswagen limousine" appearing in the same article. It's a toss up, really.

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

Hmmmm, speaking of VWs, I think I just saw on television last night an "Edgy Nazi Eugenics" ad for Volkswagen! I only caught about five seconds of the ad so I'm not quite sure. There was an image of babies in cradles arranged in neat rows and columns and the voice-over said something liked "Engineered for" something I couldn't hear, like the babies had been designed by German engineers. It was ubercreepy.

Anyway, I just googled this and found the following:

Volkswagen Routan Ad Campaign Features Brooke Shields and Virtual Babies

HERNDON, Virginia � Volkswagen is launching a campaign in the U.S. media for its new Routan minivan. Brooke Shields will be the spokesperson for the ads � and VW is rolling out a virtual "Baby Maker" game that lets players create their own virtual infants and send out birth announcements, presumably so they can picture themselves behind the wheel of a minivan.

Volkswagen of America Marketing Vice President Tim Ellis issued the understatement that the ad campaign "challenges traditional conventions surrounding the minivan category." In radio, television and Internet advertising, VW will tout the Routan BabyMaker 3000, which starting late this month will use image-uploading features to let Web site visitors "create their own Routan baby," or in VW's words, "bundle of kilobyte joy."

"Every day in our country, more and more people are having babies simply for...the love of German engineering," intones Shields in a faux-serious documentary. "Even reverse vasectomies."

Perhaps would-be Routan owners should create more than one virtual baby: The van seats seven, after all. It has a 197-horsepower 3.8-liter V6 engine and will be available with an optional 4.0-liter V6 making 251 hp. The seven-passenger minivan has the traditional three rows of seating, plus two 9-inch video screens and up to 21 different seating configurations. It's priced starting at $24,700.