General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Oh my gawd!! Look! A rock star!!!

Post by muppet hi fi »

Was Billy Zoom a smug asshole to you?
Did Lou Reed leave you in tears?
Was Bruuuuuce a nice guy?
Did Johnny Thunders throw up on your shoes?
Did Sting shove your grandpa?
Did Mick Jones smile a lot and give you beer?
Was Prince peculiar?
Ever meet a real live Rock Star?
Well this is the place to share those wonderful memories! So come on- share 'em, trade, 'em, collect 'em all! Right here on (all together now):
"Oh my gawd! Look! A Rock Star!"
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Oh my gawd!! Look! A rock star!!!

Post by muppet hi fi »

Erm...Coming soon to a thread near you!!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

This is gonna be HUGE!!!. It's gonna make the 'Clashy' thread look like...like... like one of my usual threads :disshame:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Fucking come on already! Somebody - Marky - warm me up here man, would ya?
Shit, these things you have to work up to. These are Rock Stars we're talking here...

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Never met one, don't want to.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Well of course MJ I would want to meet but outside of this forum he's not thought of much as a rockstar, by many.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Chuck wrote:Never met one, don't want to.
Mr. Mangione you are excused from duty. Next...

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've had a smoke with Joe Strummer and interviewed Mick for my mate's college rag. Are they Rock Stars?

Other than that, I had a piss next to "Doctor" from Doctor and the Medics, we talked about Sandinista for a while. Also had a fight with the lead singer from Eddie and the Hot Rods in 1999.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:I've had a smoke with Joe Strummer and interviewed Mick for my mate's college rag. Are they Rock Stars?

Other than that, I had a piss next to "Doctor" from Doctor and the Medics, we talked about Sandinista for a while. Also had a fight with the lead singer from Eddie and the Hot Rods in 1999.
Oh good. Eddie & thee Hot Rods? Good! Didja fuck im up? Didja put the boot in? Didja clean is clock? Hate those fuckers fucking pub rock poseurs, how dare they, they're not even real ROCK STARS. OK - now we're getting somewhere...

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:I've had a smoke with Joe Strummer and interviewed Mick for my mate's college rag. Are they Rock Stars?

Oh good. Eddie & thee Hot Rods? Good! Didja fuck im up? Didja put the boot in? Didja clean is clock? Hate those fuckers fucking pub rock poseurs, how dare they, they're not even real ROCK STARS. OK - now we're getting somewhere...
Nah, it got split up when we had each other in a tired headlock. Nice bloke though, he later autographed my arm with a felt tip.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Nah, it got split up when we had each other in a tired headlock. Nice bloke though, he later autographed my arm with a felt tip.
OK, bummer, peacefulness sucks. And I actually like the Hot Rods anyway.
Shit is that all you got? How about the Joe and Mick stories? Did you beat them up?

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Shit is that all you got? How about the Joe and Mick stories? Did you beat them up?
Joe and Mick were cool as fuck, just like I expected. I could go in depth another day, maybe in the audio trainspotter thread,

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Joe and Mick were cool as fuck, just like I expected. I could go in depth another day, maybe in the audio trainspotter thread,
No, never mind that thread. This one's gonna be where it's all happening on this board for the next 4 months.
Or 4 minutes.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I'm not good at approaching people. I've been a few feet away from Mick Jones and David Johansen (at separate times), both are heroes of mine but I just couldn't think of anything worth saying to them.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Just on the specific people brought up here:

Billy Zoom (and Exene) spit on me on the stage at the Whisky from his spot in the audience back in 1979. Joan Jett came racing down from the balcony and got into a hassle with them defending my band's honor. Some minor personal stuff involving us firing a band mate who was a friend of Billy's aside, the beef was over us playing Downtown, a song Johnny Thunders wrote with David Johansen. They thought we were too posy, or something. Ironically, we were playing with the Rockats (pre Nolan, with Levi) and. Leee Childers, who had managed the Heartbreakers, was managing them. He loved it.

Lou Reed was mean to my sister when she booked him at the Universal Amphitheater but when he and Laurie had dinner with my mom (some years later) he was lovely. He was also lovely to Mick when he rehearsed and played with Gorillaz.

Mick Jones has smiled at me and bought me beer on numerous occasions.

I had dinner with David Johansen and his wife Mara and stepdaughter last year in New York when I came in for the Clash invasion. He's got social anxiety since he got sober but he's a fucking riot. Witty and clever and offbeat. My daughter and his stepdaughter (both early 20's) are very close friends.