People who are on twitter.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: People who are on twitter.

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:But that person you're talking to is hella wrong about Mystery, Inc. It's the only Scooby-Doo cartoon that's watchable without either nostalgia-glasses or being too young to care about quality.
That would be Josh Marsfelder. He's written about Scooby Doo in relation to his Star Trek work at Vaka Rangi.

First post here: http://vakarangi.blogspot.com/2013/09/s ... e-and.html
Second post here: http://vakarangi.blogspot.com/2013/11/s ... e-are.html
He linked to it. It's an interesting read, on first skim, but to be honest it sounds like Roderick Long trying to pretend Ayn Rand has value.
Isn't Rand's value demonstrated by how so many people find resonance in her insanity? Which is to say, the readers do create value.
Again, I credit the readers who find any decent value in her stuff more than her actual writing and ideas. It's a Dumbo's Feather for a lot of people who humanize her and don't value selfishness.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I think the value is 100% the concept, with a truly godawful execution at every turn.
Well, sparked by Josh I've been rewatching some of it recently and I think there are some interesting mechanics in how the show works. It's formulaic as shit, but to the point of being programmatic similar to Doctor Who's UNIT Family days. It's an interesting way of making television. The problem, for me, is that I can watch 5 or 6 episodes of something like that and then I want to move onto a different show.

The Scooby Doo Movies (the television series of that name, not the actual movies) are legit great, though. Totally redonk and surprisingly satisfying.
I loved that series as a kid, but to be honest, it's another one for me that is conceptually brilliant, but executed terribly. I can only appreciate it now with a rather disturbing amount of irony.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:But that person you're talking to is hella wrong about Mystery, Inc. It's the only Scooby-Doo cartoon that's watchable without either nostalgia-glasses or being too young to care about quality.
That would be Josh Marsfelder. He's written about Scooby Doo in relation to his Star Trek work at Vaka Rangi.

He linked to it. It's an interesting read, on first skim, but to be honest it sounds like Roderick Long trying to pretend Ayn Rand has value.
Isn't Rand's value demonstrated by how so many people find resonance in her insanity? Which is to say, the readers do create value.
Again, I credit the readers who find any decent value in her stuff more than her actual writing and ideas. It's a Dumbo's Feather for a lot of people who humanize her and don't value selfishness.
I know what you're getting at, but I don't see the neat division between Rand's text and the readers' interpretation. It's necessarily intertwined, even if there isn't obvious continuity between the two. Because her acolytes, or people who selectively pick from her work, have come to influence public policy and conventional wisdom in the past thirty years, she has to be regarded as a significant contributor to recent American intellectual history.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote: That would be Josh Marsfelder. He's written about Scooby Doo in relation to his Star Trek work at Vaka Rangi.

I know what you're getting at, but I don't see the neat division between Rand's text and the readers' interpretation. It's necessarily intertwined, even if there isn't obvious continuity between the two. Because her acolytes, or people who selectively pick from her work, have come to influence public policy and conventional wisdom in the past thirty years, she has to be regarded as a significant contributor to recent American intellectual history.
I said value, not influence. I actually agree with the point you're making 100%. I'm saying that he tries to justify her as a positive influence, whereas I think all of his good ideas are his better nature revising Rand's intent.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:Conclusive evidence that people on twitter deserve to simply have celebrities promote stuff at them and give out their terrible opinions on things: No one liked my Shaggy from Scooby Doo as President tweets, which were gold.
None of the internet heathens on the twitters liked my insightful liveblogging of the state of the union address, either.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Conclusive evidence that people on twitter deserve to simply have celebrities promote stuff at them and give out their terrible opinions on things: No one liked my Shaggy from Scooby Doo as President tweets, which were gold.
None of the internet heathens on the twitters liked my insightful liveblogging of the state of the union address, either.
You mean watching a Star Trek?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Flex wrote:
To be fair, it was Star Trek 3. :yuck:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I WAS TWEETING OUT A PASSAGE FROM THE BIBLE YOU HEATHENS

I thought it was funny. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote: He linked to it. It's an interesting read, on first skim, but to be honest it sounds like Roderick Long trying to pretend Ayn Rand has value.
I said value, not influence. I actually agree with the point you're making 100%. I'm saying that he tries to justify her as a positive influence, whereas I think all of his good ideas are his better nature revising Rand's intent.
I guess we're just differing on word usage here. Positive and negative to describe value inserts too much subjectivity when talking about ideas.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Isn't Rand's value demonstrated by how so many people find resonance in her insanity? Which is to say, the readers do create value.
I guess we're just differing on word usage here. Positive and negative to describe value inserts too much subjectivity when talking about ideas.
I'm fine with subjectively saying Ayn Rand's works have no redeeming social value without an interpreter modifying them to make them less amoral. It's just my opinion, but it's a truth to me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote: Again, I credit the readers who find any decent value in her stuff more than her actual writing and ideas. It's a Dumbo's Feather for a lot of people who humanize her and don't value selfishness.
I'm fine with subjectively saying Ayn Rand's works have no redeeming social value without an interpreter modifying them to make them less amoral. It's just my opinion, but it's a truth to me.
I think I was regarding value in more of a Marxist sense, as in use-value, which seeks to be a more objective perspective. I'm obviously not disagreeing with you over Rand's social value—practically by definition she has no social value because her form of individuality is rooted in such a degree of selfishness that its ideal form would eradicate the concept of social/society. She's the id of every adolescent. Whenever I see a Randroid citing her, I think of a teen throwing a tantrum because the world isn't bending to his/her wants exclusively.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

i can't belive it took that long to come up with that joke
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia