Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Chuck Mangione »

God Bless Edward Snowden he is absolutely an utter, untouchable hero bless him and what he has done, especially because he is so much more than your average fartknocker. Bless him and his powers, which are better than your average man's. I am a liberal vying for true democracy in this too-damned-to-change state, bless Edward Snowden. NSA is bad. CIA is scum. World is black and white. Bless him.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by biopunk »

No.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I wouldn't canonize him so quickly. His reason for being a whistleblower wasn't due to any deep opposition to the state or even spying, but what he saw as unjustified abuses of the NSA's spying powers. He's a reformer, not a revolutionary. Which isn't to shit on what he did do at all—better to have this shit out in the open and force the conversation, or at least make people ponder the morality of a surveillance state—but he's not untouchable nor, as far as I can tell, some kind of radical champion for democracy. And it's probably better than he isn't a radical in terms of the short-term politics of it all, because it would make it easier to dismiss him as a sinister crank. But in the larger picture, he's not the end zone, just forward progress.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

biopunk wrote:No.
To the sarcasm or to calling him a hero? Because I wasn't calling him a hero, it was sarcasm for your guys' information.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Because I wasn't calling him a hero, it was sarcasm for your guys' information.
Oh. Um, okay.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Not that he changed nothing. Don't have heroes is all I'm saying.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Dagnabbit Chuck, Canadians don't get irony! Or figgy pudding...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chuck's "Obama's Cooler Than Fuck" thread has sufficiently numbed me to his serious and ironic political stances.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I admire what he did - it took courage - but his goals are probably fairly fundamentally different than mine. As Doc says, at the end of the day he's a reformer. He doesn't want to abolish power, he just wants them to behave nicer. Fuck that.

That said, I also don't totally sign on with the Tarzian left critique of Snowden et al. either. I think what he did was a net positive, even if his methods were imperfect (i.e. not just leaking everything in a single infodump).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:I admire what he did - it took courage - but his goals are probably fairly fundamentally different than mine. As Doc says, at the end of the day he's a reformer. He doesn't want to abolish power, he just wants them to behave nicer. Fuck that.

That said, I also don't totally sign on with the Tarzian left critique of Snowden et al. either. I think what he did was a net positive, even if his methods were imperfect (i.e. not just leaking everything in a single infodump).
What Flex said. Only with more explosions and tits.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:I admire what he did - it took courage - but his goals are probably fairly fundamentally different than mine. As Doc says, at the end of the day he's a reformer. He doesn't want to abolish power, he just wants them to behave nicer. Fuck that.

Mine also has all that plus jetpacks and a world where Bruce Springsteen was killed in Vietnam in 1958.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Mine also has all that plus jetpacks and a world where Bruce Springsteen was killed in Vietnam in 1958.
Sweet.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Government Official Rules That Government Actions A-Ok.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Government Official Rules That Government Actions A-Ok.
See, the system works!