Phil Collins to retire from music

General music discussion.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Phil Collins to retire from music

Post by tepista »

My GTGs are from Texas and sometimes they still act and dress like Hank Hill. I think I'm gayer than them.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:I actually don't begrudge Hoy the preferred consultant. Gay culture can be labyrinthine. Best to be able to rely on someone who knows.
I wish I had a go-to gay. My uncle is boring. My best friend from college lives in London. My local gay is a whackadoo right-leaning libertarian.
I feel like at the end of today's episode of IMCT, eumaas will speak directly to the audience:

"if you'd like to learn more about bear and twink behavior, consult your local gay."

"Next week on That's Our Hoy!...Doc's pissing like a racehorse, but try as he might he just can't whiz it fuscia. Hoy's got a brown rice recipe that'll put the rainbow back in his pot of korngold, but will it cause an international incident with the Chinamen? Find out next week! And now your late local news..."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finally, a speaking part!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... re_1205789
Veteran rocker Phil Collins is about to fall silent, revealing he's quitting the music industry because of health problems.
The former Genesis star hinted he was considering giving up music in a revealing interview to promote his last album Going Back in 2010, and now it appears he has followed through with his retirement plans.
The British star tells Fhm magazine he's struggling with an array of medical issues prompted by years of touring and drumming, including hearing loss and severe nerve damage in his hands.
The rocker also tells Fhm he no longer feels like he belongs in music: "I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely."
Collins accepts many people will not mourn the end of his career, adding, "I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that. It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me."
If anyone wants to know what my other two wishes were, send me a PM.
For Starship to support KISS at wembley.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

http://getyourphil.tumblr.com/archive

I'm 90% sure it's a joke, but that 10% … christ, that 10% …

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:http://getyourphil.tumblr.com/archive

I'm 90% sure it's a joke, but that 10% … christ, that 10% …
This is amazing:

"Synthlord Howard Jones re-recorded his hit “No One Is to Blame” with Phil as producer, drummer, and backup vocalist. This made it 1000% better. Although those opening lines “You can look at the menu but you just can’t eat” are still a bit jarring."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

FUCK

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... ongs-again
Phil Collins, the former Genesis drummer whose earnest ballads made him a star in the 1980s, is penning songs again. Although he dreads the idea of extended touring because it would take him away from his five children, Collins says he has missed the creativity of music since he retired in 2010.

Collins spoke in Miami Beach on Wednesday. He was in town to promote the expansion of his nonprofit Little Dreams Foundation, which he co-founded with his now ex-wife Orianne Collins to help youth realize their artistic, musical and athletic dreams.

"I've decided I kind of missed that writing creative stuff, so I'm trying to get back into writing, and that's getting into a certain headspace and personal drive," he said.

Phil Collins Speaks Out About 'Retirement' Reports

There's no magic for getting into the groove, "just banging away at it," he said. Sometimes the lyrics come first, sometimes the music.

"I've got some lyrical ideas on paper that are good. I've started to thrash around at the piano. A lot of it is hit and miss," he said. "All you need is something to hang an idea on and you're off."

Collins got his start as the drummer for Genesis in the 1970s before becoming a solo star with hits such as "In the Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds."

Collins said putting on live shows is fun, but he doesn't like missing his children's birthdays.

"I've been like that pretty much most of my life, and I don't want to do that anymore," he said.

Collins has three adult children from his first two marriages and two young sons with Orianne. They divorced in 2008.

Pressed when he might it the road again, he said it wouldn't be before the end of next year. He didn't say whether it would be a solo show or a Genesis reunion.

Collins said he gets a kick out of watching his concerts with his young sons Nicholas and Matthew.

He said they ask him tough questions, like why he makes a crazy laugh on the single "Mama" from Genesis' 1983 self-titled album. The answer: It was tribute to the granddaddy of hip hop Grandmaster Flash.

"But they don't know who Grandmaster Flash is," he said. Collins credits his boys' interest in his concerts for encouraging him to even consider getting back on the stage.

Critics also give him pause about returning.

"I can't believe that amount of hate that is out there," he said, referring to the online reaction to his declaration earlier this year that he might consider touring.

Even after all these years, the Grammy- and Oscar-winning artist still takes critics to heart. Over the years, they've often panned his pop tunes for being safe, bland and overproduced.

"Knowing that I'm just thinking of it, and someone saying, `No, God, please don't do that!' It kind of undermines your confidence," he said. "We're all sensitive chaps, you know."

Collins said he was pleasantly surprised at how certain songs have held up over time, such as "Easy Lover" and "In the Air Tonight," which was featured in the 1980's hit TV show "Miami Vice."

"That's going to be on my headstone. He came. He wrote `In the Air Tonight.' He ... died."

As for his charity, Collins said he often used to receive letters from kids asking how to break into the music business, so he and Orianne decided to create the nonprofit to help those without resources get coaching, training and advice. At first, they turned to their friends in the music industry to serve as mentors and later expanded to sports and visual arts.

The Miami chapter is the first in the U.S. Children are selected based on talent, motivation and enthusiasm. Once accepted, they work with mentors, who have in the past included Tina Turner, Natalie Cole and others.

Collins doesn't promise the 10 or so youth who will be selected each year a guaranteed path to fame.

"But we're giving kids with the same kinds of ambitions I had solid ways to prepare," he said.

Collins said he was a lucky man.

"All I set out to do was to earn a living playing drums, you know? And as luck would have it, I've surpassed that."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Rat Patrol wrote:2 years till he's back on a Disney animated soundtrack and headlining select $100-a-pop concert dates with orchestra and possibly Billy Joel in-tow before vowing retirement again.

Just to piss off Jenny.
Because you know he's just that kind of asshole.
:scared:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Fucking Obama.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Tell him to write stuff as good as Two Hearts or Something Happened on the Way to Heaven.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

God dammit.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:God dammit.
Where's your One World Government now, Mrs. B?!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:Tell him to write stuff as good as Two Hearts or Something Happened on the Way to Heaven.
Or "You Can't Hurry Love", which he made his own.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You two just wait till I get home and have access to Photoshop!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:Tell him to write stuff as good as Two Hearts or Something Happened on the Way to Heaven.
Or "You Can't Hurry Love", which he made his own.
Hoyston is the worst person on earth.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"