Stand up recs

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Flex »

Dude started believing his own bullshit, is the problem.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Chris Hardwick's playing a fair sized theatre in London, on a Wednesday night at 10 pm with tickets £22.50 a go. I wouldn't have minded seeing him, but he seems to be going for the unemployed millionaire audience. Eddie Pepitone, an immeasurably better comedian, is doing a long run at a smaller venue with tickets as little as a tenner, starting at a quarter to eight in the evening. A classy guy, really, I'm looking forward to seeing him.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I've been watching Eddie Pepitone stand-up on YouTube. Really funny guy.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Chuck Mangione wrote:I've been watching Eddie Pepitone stand-up on YouTube. Really funny guy.
Very good indeed, a lifer who's been creatively invigorated by the exposure he's been getting of late.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I hope Chris Hardwick remembers that he used to host the deplorable 90's MTV show "Singled Out" with esteemed neuroscientist Jenny McCarthy. A show I'm sure Hoy watched religiously.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

JennyB wrote:I hope Chris Hardwick remembers that he used to host the deplorable 90's MTV show "Singled Out" with esteemed neuroscientist Jenny McCarthy. A show I'm sure Hoy watched religiously.
He was a douche back then. I can't imagine what a douche he is today as an over-40 Republican who thinks he used to be somebody.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:I hope Chris Hardwick remembers that he used to host the deplorable 90's MTV show "Singled Out" with esteemed neuroscientist Jenny McCarthy. A show I'm sure Hoy watched religiously.
He was a douche back then. I can't imagine what a douche he is today as an over-40 Republican who thinks he used to be somebody.
I think he's pretty typical Hollywood liberal, to be fair. His stand-up is fairly mediocre, but he's a positive enough presence.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:I think he's pretty typical Hollywood liberal, to be fair. His stand-up is fairly mediocre, but he's a positive enough presence.
Yeah, I've never seen his standup, but his television personality stuff seems totally innocuous. I don't particularly like him, but I can't see how he's a problem or anything. Other than his enabling nerds to feel anything other than shame for their interests, I mean.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Doug Stanhope's new hour, Beer Hall Putsch, is the stand up comedy album of the year. I've always liked him, but I think show-to-show you've only got glimmers of what he's capable of. This one moves beyond the self-mythologising that he's sometimes too into, and the dearth of material you saw on the last few albums, into a laugh out loud funny through the whole hour show. What's great about his stuff has always been his wonderful disregard for tarting over the audience's appreciation, but this time it's tied to some fantastic bits and well crafted actual brilliant jokes.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I laughed at that special a lot. It never once lags or gets preachy. Hugely recommended.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Watched Kumail Nunjiani's Beta Male last night. He's funnier on twitter than stage, which is a shame. He passed the five laugh out loud rule, though, so it gets a recommend from me.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Silent Majority wrote:Doug Stanhope's new hour, Beer Hall Putsch, is the stand up comedy album of the year. I've always liked him, but I think show-to-show you've only got glimmers of what he's capable of. This one moves beyond the self-mythologising that he's sometimes too into, and the dearth of material you saw on the last few albums, into a laugh out loud funny through the whole hour show. What's great about his stuff has always been his wonderful disregard for tarting over the audience's appreciation, but this time it's tied to some fantastic bits and well crafted actual brilliant jokes.
Is he over Alison Pearson? Wink, wink
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Purple Hayes wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Doug Stanhope's new hour, Beer Hall Putsch, is the stand up comedy album of the year. I've always liked him, but I think show-to-show you've only got glimmers of what he's capable of. This one moves beyond the self-mythologising that he's sometimes too into, and the dearth of material you saw on the last few albums, into a laugh out loud funny through the whole hour show. What's great about his stuff has always been his wonderful disregard for tarting over the audience's appreciation, but this time it's tied to some fantastic bits and well crafted actual brilliant jokes.
Is he over Alison Pearson? Wink, wink
Ahaha! She didn't come up.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching David Cross' HBO special, "The Pride is Back." Goddamn but he was good a long time ago. Hunt it down on the Pirate Bay if you've never seen it before.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Going to see Stewart Lee on the 11th. Once, the unapproachable top of my favourite comedians, now I find he goes up his own smug, repetitive arse a little too much, to the delight of a sycophantic audience of Guardian liberals. Hopefully, he'll be a good laugh.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/