No, No, Don't Worry. Homophobia Is Pretty Much Over

Politics and other such topical creams.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

No, No, Don't Worry. Homophobia Is Pretty Much Over

Post by Wolter »

Placeholder for tomorrow's Supreme Court decisions.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Homophobia Is Pretty Much Over

Post by matedog »

Good start.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[word salad]

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Way to not piss me off, court.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

2 for 2...I think?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So homos are slightly more tolerated than mud people. Congratulations, America, for taking one step forward and a leap backward.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:2 for 2...I think?
Not really. They punted like cowards on Prop 8 and kicked it back to the lower courts. The result is the same--gay marriage in Cali--but it got that way by the Court taking no stance whatsoever. Which gives the New Confederacy slightly more time to hold out and obstruct. The results are good. But the ruling itself was indecisive.

DOMA was pretty clear-cut unconstitutional. Although it just makes yesterday's VRA ruling that much more hypocritical. Read Scalia's crazy-person dissent of today's decision wherein he clutches pearls about undoing a law duly passed by an overwhelming majority of Congress. The duplicity is sickening.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Duplicity from Scalia? Never!

In other news, old white man who will never get marries weighs in on marriage:

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/?p=69729
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Also:

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

A magician always distracts you with one hand and tricks you with the other. Obama's handlers are big on the gay marriage thing this year so their voters won't notice that gay marriage and abortion are the only issues Obama differs from the GOP on. Luckily, there's still at least one real populist Democrat left in Congress.

I hope he doesn't buy himself a Benz anytime soon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 56167.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

IkarisOne wrote:A magician always distracts you with one hand and tricks you with the other. Obama's handlers are big on the gay marriage thing this year so their voters won't notice that gay marriage and abortion are the only issues Obama differs from the GOP on. Luckily, there's still at least one real populist Democrat left in Congress.

What does this have to do with the Supreme Court, a California ballot initiative, and an unconstitutional 10-year-old act of Congress that wasn't being enforced to begin with? There was no current-Admin. Executive Branch relevance whatsoever to either of today's decisions.

It actually dilutes focus from the many, many, many evil things that can be pinned on him to lump this non-sequitur in. None of the rulings have yet gone far enough to make this more than a States Rights issue. Disappointingly. There isn't a lot the Executive can yet functionally do until there's a court case that busts marriage equality wide open into an interstate issue. It'll come. The right test case just hasn't made its way up the chain yet. But, really, other than directing the Attorney General to stop enforcing discriminatory law like DOMA, tearing down discriminatory Executive polity like Don't Ask Don't Tell, and mundane HR-related directives for Federal employee anti-discrimination and benefits eligibility there's not a lot the President can do on this. Ball's legally still in the Judiciary's and the States' court on this for time being.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Rat Patrol wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:A magician always distracts you with one hand and tricks you with the other. Obama's handlers are big on the gay marriage thing this year so their voters won't notice that gay marriage and abortion are the only issues Obama differs from the GOP on. Luckily, there's still at least one real populist Democrat left in Congress.

What does this have to do with the Supreme Court, a California ballot initiative, and an unconstitutional 10-year-old act of Congress that wasn't being enforced to begin with? There was no current-Admin. Executive Branch relevance whatsoever to either of today's decisions.

It actually dilutes focus from the many, many, many evil things that can be pinned on him to lump this non-sequitur in. None of the rulings have yet gone far enough to make this more than a States Rights issue. Disappointingly. There isn't a lot the Executive can yet functionally do until there's a court case that busts marriage equality wide open into an interstate issue. It'll come. The right test case just hasn't made its way up the chain yet. But, really, other than directing the Attorney General to stop enforcing discriminatory law like DOMA, tearing down discriminatory Executive polity like Don't Ask Don't Tell, and mundane HR-related directives for Federal employee anti-discrimination and benefits eligibility there's not a lot the President can do on this. Ball's legally still in the Judiciary's and the States' court on this for time being.
In other words, keep the show on the road. Pass one Treasury-looting bonanza after one Orwellian nightmare but keep everyone fighting over gay marriage and Paula Deen. Honey, we lost the house and we can't pay for Junior's cancer treatments and the IRS is garnishing my wages. But look at those rednecks- ha ha, aren't they stupid? Gosh, I feel better already!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Who is doing that? The Supreme Court???

I don't disagree with anything you're saying about rope-a-dope writ general. But what is the specific relevance to today's rulings?

Should we not have marriage equality because there is evil in the world??? What kind of fucked up logic is that?

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Rat Patrol wrote:Who is doing that? The Supreme Court???

I don't disagree with anything you're saying about rope-a-dope writ general. But what is the specific relevance to today's rulings?

Should we not have marriage equality because there is evil in the world??? What kind of fucked up logic is that?
No, gay people who want to get married should definitely fight for it. More power to them. I have absolutely no problem at all with it. There's no secular argument against it. I have no idea why it's still an issue other than Obama and his capos need it to make them look less evil. It's pretty obvious even the Religious Right has thrown in the towel.

What I'm saying is we shouldn't let the issue take the other 97% of America's minds away from absolutely devastating issues like this. http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/health/2 ... ills-2013/