SOUNDBOARD UPGRADE BRIXTON 30 JULY 1982

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: SOUNDBOARD UPGRADE BRIXTON 30 JULY 1982

Post by Silent Majority »

IkarisOne wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Joe after The Clash II fiasco that was CTC went onto soundtracks making some good music in Trash City and Love Kills/Dum Dum Club but these are not a million miles away from the 101ers.
I've decided that Love Kills is a weird, flawed masterpiece.
Seeing that Bowie recently came out of retirement, I wonder if Mick in particular was thinking about the Bowie model when it came to breaking America. Bowie didn't do much with his heavy guitar rock here and didn't hit the Top 10 until he started playing disco and such. I wonder if that was a factor.
Nah, the film's garbage. The less to do with it, the better. Read it as Joe's love letter to Topper.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:LC was the best 101ers album.

[youtube][/youtube]

Tell me the truth, though- wouldn't it be a million times better if all the guitars sounded like this on the whole record? The Clash's real sound - flamethrowing guitars drenched in reverb and layers of distortion- kicks the living shit out of any of the studio-created substitutes.
Yes absolutely.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Tell me the truth, though- wouldn't it be a million times better if all the guitars sounded like this on the whole record? The Clash's real sound - flamethrowing guitars drenched in reverb and layers of distortion- kicks the living shit out of any of the studio-created substitutes.
Yes absolutely.
Marry me.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Yes absolutely.
Marry me.
Not until you admit that LC is the album Joe wanted the 101ers to make.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Yes absolutely.
Marry me.
The 101ers had some musical chops. But fuck me what a lack of style. Can you imagine the LC video with Don Lets shooting 5 tramps outside Lisson Grove labour exchange.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Yes absolutely.
Marry me.
It is a classic 1974 pub rock album, very much like Ducks Deluxe or the early Graham Parker* material. Very much a retreat to the comforting fantasies of the past in the face of an uncertain future. But the 101ers were a bit more frantic and cathartic, whereas LC is more sedate and mannered.

*I think Lover's Rock sounds exactly like something off of Squeezing Out Sparks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

Yes absolutely.
Marry me.
It is a classic 1974 pub rock album, very much like Ducks Deluxe or the early Graham Parker* material. Very much a retreat to the comforting fantasies of the past in the face of an uncertain future. But the 101ers were a bit more frantic and cathartic, whereas LC is more sedate and mannered.

*I think Lover's Rock sounds exactly like something off of Squeezing Out Sparks.
Nah more like an outtake from East Side Story by Squeeze. Wow it was ahead of it's time. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I think the 101ers hold up a lot better than other pub rock groups. I'd rather listen to the Elgin compilation than Down By The Jetty or whatever, at any rate.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kaleb wrote:I think the 101ers hold up a lot better than other pub rock groups. I'd rather listen to the Elgin compilation than Down By The Jetty or whatever, at any rate.
Have you forgotten to take your meds again?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

Yes absolutely.
Marry me.
The 101ers had some musical chops. But fuck me what a lack of style. Can you imagine the LC video with Don Lets shooting 5 tramps outside Lisson Grove labour exchange.
Yes but by then Joe would sacked everyone else and brought in a guy who could play guitar, a guy who looked good on stage and a great drummer.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote: Yes absolutely.
Marry me.
Yes but by then Joe would sacked everyone else and brought in a guy who could play guitar, a guy who looked good on stage and a great drummer.
...and then Bernie would've ditched them and brought in some synths and a beat box.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
IkarisOne wrote: Marry me.

...and then Bernie would've dithed them and brought in some synths and a beat box.
Thank fuck Joe got out when he did and joined the Clash then.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote: Not until you admit that LC is the album Joe wanted the 101ers to make.

...and then Bernie would've dithed them and brought in some synths and a beat box.
Thank fuck Joe got out when he did and joined the Clash then.
No Bernie was The Clash. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

I think the recorded versions of LC and TiV are perfect. I like records to sound like records and live to sound like live.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

I think the recorded versions of LC and TiV are perfect. I like records to sound like records and live to sound like live.
I'm happy in both camps.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia