Will the real Shakespeare please stand up?

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Will the real Shakespeare please stand up?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I checked on that Byrne thread again and, make of it what you will, but after the one guy asked for mutual respect from all participants (following Byrne accusing him of being disingenuous), Byrne has disengaged entirely. Which is unusual in its own way, from what I've seen. Most of the posters there are sycophants who either parrot the party line or immediately apologize when he disagrees with them. But having someone stand up, remain polite, make clear points, and ask for similar respect is rare. And it seems to have sent Johnny scurrying.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Interesting read, as it happens. I don't like the dynamic on that board at all, from the very little I've read.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:Interesting read, as it happens. I don't like the dynamic on that board at all, from the very little I've read.
I check in once a week or so to see what's pissing off Byrne. He's pretty faithful about answering questions and provides some decent insight about the comics biz, but he's a miserable dick to anyone who disagrees with him, so it ends up being dominated by embarrassing ass kissing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I check in once a week or so to see what's pissing off Byrne. He's pretty faithful about answering questions and provides some decent insight about the comics biz, but he's a miserable dick to anyone who disagrees with him, so it ends up being dominated by embarrassing ass kissing.
Easy access to creators you like always seems great until you actually get easy access to creators you like. Oh, the internet.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I check in once a week or so to see what's pissing off Byrne. He's pretty faithful about answering questions and provides some decent insight about the comics biz, but he's a miserable dick to anyone who disagrees with him, so it ends up being dominated by embarrassing ass kissing.
Easy access to creators you like always seems great until you actually get easy access to creators you like. Oh, the internet.
Cf. White, Gregory "Vince"
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
It's a good argument for keeping a wall between yourself and your public. I definitely hold celebrities I can follow on Twitter in less esteem than those who I don't read complaining about their laundry.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
The flaw in your example is that nobody ever actually liked Vince.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
The flaw in your example is that nobody ever actually liked Vince.
Well, I felt bad for the way he was treated once.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:Well, I felt bad for the way he was treated once.
Feeling pity for someone is about the closest I can get to liking anyone in this day and age. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:Well, I felt bad for the way he was treated once.
Feeling pity for someone is about the closest I can get to liking anyone in this day and age. :shifty:
Wait—I may have a lot of friends after all.

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:Image
Source:
That's a Married To the Sea cartoon. They have/had it as a t-shirt and I would have bought one, but they only have it in canary yellow. :yuck:
You'll wear a CTC shirt but not yellow?
I wear my canary yellow 'Shakespeare got to get paid, son' shirt with pride :approve:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Alyssa wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:Image
Source:
That's a Married To the Sea cartoon. They have/had it as a t-shirt and I would have bought one, but they only have it in canary yellow. :yuck:
You'll wear a CTC shirt but not yellow?
I wear my canary yellow 'Shakespeare got to get paid, son' shirt with pride :approve:
You can pull off wearing a purely yellow shirt? Inconceivable!

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

Also, my recent trip to the Globe to see Henry V was one of those unexpectedly amazing travel experiences...it tied in very nicely with the FANTASTIC Hollow Crown series that I'm so sad to see at an end :cry:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

You. Listen to Laura Marling putting Shakespeare to music.
[youtube][/youtube]

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:You. Listen to Laura Marling putting Shakespeare to music.
[youtube][/youtube]
Very well done.