Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by CorwoodRep »

I'm partial to The Hitch-Hiker for its proto M. Knight Shamyamyalylan plot and its atmosphere (a nighttime road trip through Malibu Canyon with creepy diners and ghosttown gas stations is just fun to look at). But I like the Elizabeth Montgomery post-apocalyptic one a lot just because Montgomery looks drop-dead sexy in it. Not a good episode at all, but it's cool seeing two pro actors just walking through a crumbling old Hollywood backlot.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by daredevil »

Hard choice for me, I love the Twightlight Zone.
Serious Episode : To Serve Man
Comedic Episode : The one with Carol Burnett (I can't remember the title).

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Kaleb wrote:I'm partial to The Hitch-Hiker for its proto M. Knight Shamyamyalylan plot and its atmosphere (a nighttime road trip through Malibu Canyon with creepy diners and ghosttown gas stations is just fun to look at). But I like the Elizabeth Montgomery post-apocalyptic one a lot just because Montgomery looks drop-dead sexy in it. Not a good episode at all, but it's cool seeing two pro actors just walking through a crumbling old Hollywood backlot.

That's a good one, it co-starred Charles Bronson.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Without thinking about it more deeply, I'm not going to definitely pull the trigger on it, but "The Monsters are due on Maple Street" ranks as one of the great moments of science fiction television, easy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:Without thinking about it more deeply, I'm not going to definitely pull the trigger on it, but "The Monsters are due on Maple Street" ranks as one of the great moments of science fiction television, easy.
My 7th grade history teacher made us watch that in class. He was a great teacher.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Most of the obvious ones that deserve their reputations—Maple Street, To Serve Man, It's a Good Life, Eye of the Beholder—but a few personal favourites include The Rip Van Winkle Caper, Shadow Play, The Obsolete Man, and especially Mirror Image.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

I like the one where a gang of bank robbers steal a shit-ton of gold bars, then hibernate in these glass coffins for like a hundred years or something so that they'd be forgotten about.

Couple of the guys get cracks in their glass coffins and die. 2 survive and have to walk out of the desert cave where they were hiding.

One of the guys has water, the other is carrying gold. Figure out the rest.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

modskin wrote:I like the one where a gang of bank robbers steal a shit-ton of gold bars, then hibernate in these glass coffins for like a hundred years or something so that they'd be forgotten about.

Couple of the guys get cracks in their glass coffins and die. 2 survive and have to walk out of the desert cave where they were hiding.

That's The Rip Van Winkle Caper.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
modskin wrote:I like the one where a gang of bank robbers steal a shit-ton of gold bars, then hibernate in these glass coffins for like a hundred years or something so that they'd be forgotten about.

Ah-hah.

I just want a glass coffin to sleep in.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

modskin wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ah-hah.

I just want a glass coffin to sleep in.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

"It's a Good Life" is great cause it's so fucking dark. I didn't watch "Walking Distance" until the last year or so, but that's also excellent and very different in theme and tone than other episodes.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In general, anything written by Charles Beaumont was superb. If you can hunt down the collection of his short fiction, The Howling Man (which includes a lot of stuff that was turned into TZ eps), do it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

unlike Burgess Meredith, I don't have "time" to comment properly on this thread. I'll be back later.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I really don't like "Time Enough At Last." It's a wholly mean-spirited, unjust story. Burgess Meredith is a decent guy, whose chief failing is that he loves to read. More than anything else. He's surrounded by assholes who pick on him because of this. Then, huzzah, the world is wiped out and he can read all he wants. And his glasses break. What did he do to deserve that? A frequent theme of TZ is that assholes get their comeuppance in the end. But BM wasn't a bad guy, yet even when he gets a chance to live his life free from assholes, he gets fucked over. One can appreciate the twist, I guess, but it's still really fucking cruel.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Any love for the 1983 movie? I loved it as a kid.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board