General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Interesting Take on the Beatles

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:without the Beatles there is a very good chance modern rock may not have exploded into popularity like it has.
What you just quoted doesn't support your point, which let's remember, is that without the Beatles the Rolling Stones and The Who would not have existed. We're saying there is a good chance they would not have been nearly as popular. You are saying that there is no way they would have ever even formed. Which is crazy, since they formed before they could have been meaningfully influenced by The Beatles.
My two points were fully consistent with eachother.
You really believe that even though the Rolling Stones formed before the Beatles had released any music (except maybe "Ain't She Sweet"), they would have never formed if the Beatles hadn't existed?

How?

Addendum: Yeah, just looked it up. "Love Me Do" hadn't even been released when the Stones formed.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:without the Beatles there is a very good chance modern rock may not have exploded into popularity like it has.
What you just quoted doesn't support your point, which let's remember, is that without the Beatles the Rolling Stones and The Who would not have existed. We're saying there is a good chance they would not have been nearly as popular. You are saying that there is no way they would have ever even formed. Which is crazy, since they formed before they could have been meaningfully influenced by The Beatles.
You really believe that even though the Rolling Stones formed before the Beatles had released any music (except maybe "Ain't She Sweet"), they would have never formed if the Beatles hadn't existed?

How?

Addendum: Yeah, just looked it up. "Love Me Do" hadn't even been released when the Stones formed.
By "owed their existence" I meant the Beatles opened the floodgates for bands of their ilk to have commercial success. The Stones hadn't even considered writing songs until the Beatles broke the mould of how bands should be operating. The Stones would have been just another obscure blues band without the Beatles upping the ante.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:

How?

By "owed their existence" I meant the Beatles opened the floodgates for bands of their ilk to have commercial success. The Stones hadn't even considered writing songs until the Beatles broke the mould of how bands should be operating. The Stones would have been just another obscure blues band without the Beatles upping the ante.
To be picky, Johnny Kidd was writing rock n' roll originals well before any of the aforementioned (Please Don't Touch '59, Shakin All Over '60)

Flex

Post by Flex »

threecoffins wrote:To be picky, Johnny Kidd was writing rock n' roll originals well before any of the aforementioned (Please Don't Touch '59, Shakin All Over '60)
Nope. Without the Beatles going back in time and teaching him the meaning of ROCK, he would have just been playing obscure blues music.

Edits: I meant it as a toss off, but I just realized, I don't want to add anything that might extend this conversation any more.
Last edited by Flex on 20 Jun 2008, 8:05pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pex Lives!

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Flex wrote:
threecoffins wrote:To be picky, Johnny Kidd was writing rock n' roll originals well before any of the aforementioned (Please Don't Touch '59, Shakin All Over '60)
Nope. Without the Beatles going back in time and teaching him the meaning of ROCK, he would have just been playing obscure blues music.
Natch

Heston

Post by Heston »

Yeah, but the Beatles weren't writing your average rock n' roll songs. Their chord sequences and arrangements were on another level to basic rock n' roll.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Heston wrote:
Yeah, but the Beatles weren't writing your average rock n' roll songs. Their chord sequences and arrangements were on another level to basic rock n' roll.
If you listen to the two Pirates singles I mentioned, they're hardly your typical 12-bar blues that say Vince Taylor was doing. The Beatles are undeniably great and they inspired a lot of bands to form and write originals, but the blueprint was definitely already drawn up. The Pirates were just too weird and scary to be successful anywhere else.

Edit:
Last edited by threecoffins on 20 Jun 2008, 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flex

Post by Flex »

threecoffins wrote:If you listen to the two Pirates singles I mentioned, they're hardly your typical 12-bar blues that say Vince Taylor was doing. The Beatles are undeniably great and they inspired a lot of bands to form and write originals, but the blueprint was definitely already drawn up. The Pirates were just too weird and scary to be successful anywhere else.
Why do you hate the Beatles so much?

Pex Lives!

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Flex wrote:
threecoffins wrote:If you listen to the two Pirates singles I mentioned, they're hardly your typical 12-bar blues that say Vince Taylor was doing. The Beatles are undeniably great and they inspired a lot of bands to form and write originals, but the blueprint was definitely already drawn up. The Pirates were just too weird and scary to be successful anywhere else.
Why do you hate the Beatles so much?
Because it's cool, okay!?

Heston

Post by Heston »

threecoffins wrote:
Heston wrote:
If you listen to the two Pirates singles I mentioned, they're hardly your typical 12-bar blues that say Vince Taylor was doing. The Beatles are undeniably great and they inspired a lot of bands to form and write originals, but the blueprint was definitely already drawn up. The Pirates were just too weird and scary to be successful anywhere else.

Edit:
I know both those Pirates songs very well, great songs they are too. They're still rooted in the blues though, the Beatles queered the pitch by adding music hall and classical influences to their songs. Without being too muso, songs like "She Loves You" were incorporating unexpected chord changes and harmonies to a well worn template.

Flex

Post by Flex »

If nothing else The Beatles are probably best because no one else at the time thought to collaborate with Jay-Z:
[youtube][/youtube]
:shifty:

Pex Lives!

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Heston wrote: I know both those Pirates songs very well, great songs they are too. They're still rooted in the blues though, the Beatles queered the pitch by adding music hall and classical influences to their songs. Without being too muso, songs like "She Loves You" were incorporating unexpected chord changes and harmonies to a well worn template.
Again, you're right. I never was looking to deny the Beatles their due. All I'm saying is that previous acts had laid the groundwork for British R&B bands breaking away from the American paradigm. I'm also saying that without the Beatles, an inherently adventurous band like the Who would have still ventured away from the blues, although perhaps an traditionalist band like the Stones wouldn't, for lack of being forced in that direction.

Flex

Post by Flex »

threecoffins wrote:Again, you're right. I never was looking to deny the Beatles their due. All I'm saying is that previous acts had laid the groundwork for British R&B bands breaking away from the American paradigm. I'm also saying that without the Beatles, an inherently adventurous band like the Who would have still ventured away from the blues, although perhaps an traditionalist band like the Stones wouldn't, for lack of being forced in that direction.
Don't forget Bob Dylan back in the States, he likely would have made Highway 61 Revisited (or something) whether the Beatles existed or not. He's generally considered (and I would consider him) the other half of the puzzle. I don't know what that adds to the discussion, other than the basic point that the Beatles aren't the Alpha and the Omega, which isn't meant to disrespect their achievements in any way.

Pex Lives!

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Flex wrote:
threecoffins wrote:Again, you're right. I never was looking to deny the Beatles their due. All I'm saying is that previous acts had laid the groundwork for British R&B bands breaking away from the American paradigm. I'm also saying that without the Beatles, an inherently adventurous band like the Who would have still ventured away from the blues, although perhaps an traditionalist band like the Stones wouldn't, for lack of being forced in that direction.
Don't forget Bob Dylan back in the States, he likely would have made Highway 61 Revisited (or something) whether the Beatles existed or not. He's generally considered (and I would consider him) the other half of the puzzle. I don't know what that adds to the discussion, other than the basic point that the Beatles aren't the Alpha and the Omega, which isn't meant to disrespect their achievements in any way.
That's all I'm saying as well.

Flex

Post by Flex »

threecoffins wrote:That's all I'm saying as well.

Pex Lives!