Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by dave202 »

I know Joe wrote a song for Horace Andy, but did they ever try anything else together? I remember hearing that Horace had covered 'Straight To Hell' with Massive Attack from one or more sources, but I also vaguely recall an article around the time of Mezzanine when it was said that he didn't want to sing the lyrics, and the backing music morphed into 'Angel.' Any truth in either part of this rumour?

On a similar theme, Joe co-wrote a song with Jimmy Cliff once. Did they try anything else?

I know it might be difficult to find out, although the duet with Johnny Cash gives me hope, even though neither should have been allowed to attempt a Marley song, even if you might argue that 'Redemption Song' could be open to covering by any half-decent artist.

By the way, the best Bob Marley cover/tribute, in fact the only/essential one to have is by Gilberto Gil, entitled 'Kaya N'Gan Daya’ it has most of the lyrics sung in Portuguese and includes a self-penned tribute. I'd trust Gilberto to do justice to 'Island Hopping', it would do Joe proud. Imagine a Strummer cover by the Cultural Ambassador for Brazil? Estupendo!

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by esmark »

Did this one some time ago....
Joe Strummer Accompanied By...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5CY5W3KX
Both tracks on it... Andy and Cliff....

front cover http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8nIQOVfvkGI/T ... s-frnt.jpg
backhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8nIQOVfvkGI/T ... s-back.jpg

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

That's a good compilation esmark, and I appreciate that. I was just wondering if there were any other tracks out there...

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Will the Hellcat/Epitaph anniversary release answer all these questions? I hope so.

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

What anniversary release? Has this been officially announced?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

I would love an anniversary box set, but I wonder how much material there would be and how worthwhile? From the singles there's not a lot of extra tracks, with one new song on 'Yalla Yalla' and live material spread across the 'Streetcore' issues. I'd say a double, one best of, one live, would be the best listening pleasure, although this doesn't give anything new to fans. A four disc set would be spread really thin and only sell to completsts, who would already have the contents, and never make any converts.

My ideal?

2cds of the best material along with collaborations that show the breadth of a great artist. A shit hot compilation cd of live material. A fourth disc, a dvd of the band live. That sounds so good, I'd buy it!

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

Dave, Joe was notorious for recording hours and hours of material when he'd get in a studio. I'm sure there's a plethora of unreleased stuff.

I'd love some quality live Pogues material; I'd love some unreleased studio tracks from any era; I'd love the rumored studio track of Guitarslinger Man; More acoustic stuff would be excellent; hell anything NEW would be great.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Slickgonzalez wrote:Dave, Joe was notorious for recording hours and hours of material when he'd get in a studio. I'm sure there's a plethora of unreleased stuff.

I'd love some quality live Pogues material; I'd love some unreleased studio tracks from any era; I'd love the rumored studio track of Guitarslinger Man; More acoustic stuff would be excellent; hell anything NEW would be great.
I'm with you on this one, Slick.

Slick Mangione.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I would love to hear anything from the alleged nine hours of studio work recorded for the never released When Pigs Fly soundtrack project, mentioned in The Future Is Unwritten film.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

dave202 wrote:I would love an anniversary box set, but I wonder how much material there would be and how worthwhile? From the singles there's not a lot of extra tracks, with one new song on 'Yalla Yalla' and live material spread across the 'Streetcore' issues. I'd say a double, one best of, one live, would be the best listening pleasure, although this doesn't give anything new to fans. A four disc set would be spread really thin and only sell to completsts, who would already have the contents, and never make any converts.

My ideal?

2cds of the best material along with collaborations that show the breadth of a great artist. A shit hot compilation cd of live material. A fourth disc, a dvd of the band live. That sounds so good, I'd buy it!
Someone posted on here a while back that after his death they were cataloguing the enormous amount of 'stuff' Joe left which included recordings. There was talk back then that Lucinda was going to release it all but that it would take some time to sort out.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

101Walterton wrote:
dave202 wrote:I would love an anniversary box set, but I wonder how much material there would be and how worthwhile? From the singles there's not a lot of extra tracks, with one new song on 'Yalla Yalla' and live material spread across the 'Streetcore' issues. I'd say a double, one best of, one live, would be the best listening pleasure, although this doesn't give anything new to fans. A four disc set would be spread really thin and only sell to completsts, who would already have the contents, and never make any converts.

My ideal?

Someone posted on here a while back that after his death they were cataloguing the enormous amount of 'stuff' Joe left which included recordings. There was talk back then that Lucinda was going to release it all but that it would take some time to sort out.
I really think it should be released. Everything. Who is one to say what is worthy of being released or not? There's probably so much material, unfinished and finished, that Joe recorded. He had so many little etchings and ideas written on paper, always carrying around a paper and scrawling things down when ever they came to mind. And I'm sure he wrote hundreds of songs. The number of released demo recordings of Joe's is very limited compared to other artists.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Hands up! I thought things had been trawled over for 'Streetcore' and never thought of the nether years. Yes, it's good to hear everything, and the nine hours of recorded material should be released. What about copies of the scribbles? Why not? In Spain I have seen so many splinters from the Holy Cross that I could reconstruct a forrest. People look at these little pieces which have no bearing in life (and I dare not say to them) or significance in the story, yet give them a status bordering on religious. I don't want that from Joe.

Unless there is good material, unrelease but worthy, I don't want dilution.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Streetcore/Global outtakes are the main thing I wanna hear. The only thing that ever surfaced from either of those was that alternate version of Burnin' Streets.

I really do want that Pogues '91 live album Philip Chevron is always talking about. I know that band is divisive around here, but I consider it criminal that it's never been released. Of course, that could never be part of that set, that'd have to be done through Warner Bros., but come on Warner. I'd pawn shit to buy that album.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kaleb wrote:Streetcore/Global outtakes are the main thing I wanna hear. The only thing that ever surfaced from either of those was that alternate version of Burnin' Streets.

I really do want that Pogues '91 live album Philip Chevron is always talking about. I know that band is divisive around here, but I consider it criminal that it's never been released. Of course, that could never be part of that set, that'd have to be done through Warner Bros., but come on Warner. I'd pawn shit to buy that album.
After CK stopped coming here, I think the Pogues stopped being divisive.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

If it's Hellcat/Epitaph doing the box, they could just get the the Pogues cuts licensed from Warner or whoever. It's not particularly unusual.

I'd just like to get as much as I can. Live material, wilderness-years releases (hopefully remixed and) remastered, previously unreleased studio material, whatever. And whatever happened to those pre-101ers recordings that surfaced a couple years back? I remember they were being prepped for release but I don't think it ever happened.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!