Question of the Day

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Question of the Day

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:What would Joe Strummer have made of the BAD reunion?
Joe Strummer wrote: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Why would Joe be upset about that? He wrote several key songs on that setlist and performed some of those BAD tracks himself in the late 80s.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:What would Joe Strummer have made of the BAD reunion?
Joe Strummer wrote: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Why would Joe be upset about that? He wrote several key songs on that setlist and performed some of those BAD tracks himself in the late 80s.
You have a lot to learn of the Tao of Hoy, Grasshopper.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Joe wasn't shy of knocking out a few Clash tunes so he wouldn't have had a leg to stand on, really. I think he would have dug it anyway, probably joined 'em on stage for the encore.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:Joe wasn't shy of knocking out a few Clash tunes so he wouldn't have had a leg to stand on, really. I think he would have dug it anyway, probably joined 'em on stage for the encore.
Other than 1983-1985, I don't think Joe had a huge bug up his ass about the existence of BAD.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:Joe wasn't shy of knocking out a few Clash tunes so he wouldn't have had a leg to stand on, really. I think he would have dug it anyway, probably joined 'em on stage for the encore.
Other than 1983-1985, I don't think Joe had a huge bug up his ass about the existence of BAD.
Even then he shouldn't have. After all, as he and his new best buds sang, WE ARE THE CLASH!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
He seemed to be the most into reuniting the Clash, especially around 2002. I think he would have been frustrated with Mick reuniting one band and not the other. That's the joke I was trying to make.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
He seemed to be the most into reuniting the Clash, especially around 2002. I think he would have been frustrated with Mick reuniting one band and not the other. That's the joke I was trying to make.
NOW who's repeating 11th grade?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Y'all because I have to spell everything out.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Or maybe you, because your thesis was flawed and poorly developed Mr. Matey. See me after class.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote: Other than 1983-1985, I don't think Joe had a huge bug up his ass about the existence of BAD.
Or maybe you, because your thesis was flawed and poorly developed Mr. Matey. See me after class.
Does that mean we're sleeping together? Or have I watched too many "movies?"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: He seemed to be the most into reuniting the Clash, especially around 2002. I think he would have been frustrated with Mick reuniting one band and not the other. That's the joke I was trying to make.
Does that mean we're sleeping together? Or have I watched too many "movies?"
Look, if we were sleeping together, I would have ordered a pizza from you. In Evanston.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
He performed Sightsee MC with the LRW as tribute to Mick while he was in the hospital. He and Paul appeared in the Medicine Show video, and then he appeared briefly in another one off No. 10 Upping. Mick guested with him on the Love Kills single. He attended lots of B.A.D. shows. Contrary to conventional wisdom he briefly got religion about hip-hop for a couple years there in the mid-80's (remember his unhinged rant during the 12/6/84 show about how Run DMC was going to save the world?). He got thanked by Mick in the liner notes of every album from No. 10 right through F-Punk. The whole "it's shit" comment he made to Mick in '85 after tracking him down in Jamaica and listening to it was just a desperate last-ditch plea to get him back in The Clash...made at the time he was at his literal most desperate. Why would he have anything against B.A.D.?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Wolter wrote:
He performed Sightsee MC with the LRW as tribute to Mick while he was in the hospital. He and Paul appeared in the Medicine Show video, and then he appeared briefly in another one off No. 10 Upping. Mick guested with him on the Love Kills single. He attended lots of B.A.D. shows. Contrary to conventional wisdom he briefly got religion about hip-hop for a couple years there in the mid-80's (remember his unhinged rant during the 12/6/84 show about how Run DMC was going to save the world?). He got thanked by Mick in the liner notes of every album from No. 10 right through F-Punk. The whole "it's shit" comment he made to Mick in '85 after tracking him down in Jamaica and listening to it was just a desperate last-ditch plea to get him back in The Clash...made at the time he was at his literal most desperate. Why would he have anything against B.A.D.?
My original joke had to do with Joe wanting to get the Clash back together in 85 and also 02 and that if Mick refused to do a Clash reunion, but did a BAD one, that might frustrate him.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Wolter wrote:
My original joke had to do with Joe wanting to get the Clash back together in 85 and also 02 and that if Mick refused to do a Clash reunion, but did a BAD one, that might frustrate him.

"I don't understand. Are you saying you and Barbara are bad neighbors?"
"No! That's not Bar and me, it's them!"
"Who, Maude and me?"
"No, the man and his boy. You know, the -- the boy is named Bart. I don't know the name of the man. Bar! What's the name of the man?"
"I'm not getting involved, George."
"Look, just never mind. I thought the banner was pretty straightforward, but I'll just take it down."

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I think Joe would have been proud with the way BAD are playing, like a rock and roll band.