Scottish bootlegs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: Scottish bootlegs

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image

AbbaFan
Corner Soul

Post by AbbaFan »

This has prompted me to let everyone know..I actually know the guy who has either the first or second Vancouver,Canada visit from 1979 on tape.
I guess he doesnt know much about the taping world,but in a very polite way, he thinks he is holding onto a gold brick or something and has said something to the fact that if he was to release it it would have to be with Luce's concent and yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah.
he is a solid guy, but out of touch with tape(c.d.) collectors.
Shame that.

hey, maybe an email from Mick would help get this out there--teddyB?

Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

To let you all know I might be putting the tapes on ebay because since i first posted about them here Ive had incredible financial offers for them. I wont say what ive been offered but let just say that if people seriously want to give me such money for a set of dusty old tapes I'm not really prepared to argue with them. lol Especially since I've just moved into a new house and my motor tax is due in October.
Maybe you see flogging them on ebay as "not punk" or whatever, but I never really cared for the attitudes on punk in the first place, (neither did the origginal punks who all eneded up rich and fat from the proceeds of their work!)

Ill keep this board posted about any ebay developments. Although If you buy them you must know that you can get the original tapes, but that I'll be keeping cdr copies for myself. :)

Steven[/quote]

Looks like he has received so much money for the tapes, he's bought a villa in Spain and retired to a life in the sun?
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Charlie Dont Surf wrote:To let you all know I might be putting the tapes on ebay because since i first posted about them here Ive had incredible financial offers for them. I wont say what ive been offered but let just say that if people seriously want to give me such money for a set of dusty old tapes I'm not really prepared to argue with them. lol Especially since I've just moved into a new house and my motor tax is due in October.
Maybe you see flogging them on ebay as "not punk" or whatever, but I never really cared for the attitudes on punk in the first place, (neither did the origginal punks who all eneded up rich and fat from the proceeds of their work!)

Ill keep this board posted about any ebay developments. Although If you buy them you must know that you can get the original tapes, but that I'll be keeping cdr copies for myself. :)

Steven
Looks like he has received so much money for the tapes, he's bought a villa in Spain and retired to a life in the sun?[/quote]

He can fuck off and keep his precious tapes. When I say "his" tapes I mean of course "ours". Selling something he never owned in the first place for large sums of money just makes him a complete wanker. We will get them eventually anyhow.

Simplehumblechap .... greedyfuckingtosser more like.

I hate people who sell bootlegs when the tapes don't belong to them in the first place. Distribute them freely and share the bands great name around, don't steal money from them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

There probably are no tapes, since a couple of those are shows that didn't happen.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Billy Joel wrote:There probably are no tapes, since a couple of those are shows that didn't happen.
This.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

simplehumblechap wrote:(neither did the origginal punks who all eneded up rich and fat from the proceeds of their work!)
Yes they ended up rich because of "their" work. Not your work you've done fuck all except buy a tape machine!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

This whole incident is very bizarre! If the guy was telling the truth, why no follow up info, links to eBay etc?

If it was all bullshit, then why? Just.....why?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

simplehumblechap wrote:Hi folks.
Was recently moving house after divorce and found all my old punk tapes. I used to bootleg the punk gigs that we went to back in the day to listen to them again at home afterwards. Saw the clash loads of times, the jam, damned etc. Great days.
I recorded about 15-20 clash gigs from all over scotland (mostly glasgow and edinbrgh, the local shows) and thought people might be interested in them. I'm not selling them so don't think I'm doin a sales pitch here.
I'm not much of a collector but would be interested to hear other versions of the scottish gigs that were recorded. I never traded my tapes so i guarantee you don't have my versions of these shows. the quality is good because I had a modern (for the time) panasonic recorder with a good build in mic. I used to sneak it into shows by hiding it down my trousers and pulling my belly in so that the bouncers wouldnt notice the bulge. Once indoors they wouldnt see it anyway in the middle of the crowd. A lot of clubs werent fussy about you taking in such things but some (especially in glasgow for some reason) were a bit stricter.
From the details on the tape boxes these seem to be what i have. there could be mistakes though.
There were many good shows but to be honest into the mid 80s i began to lose interest a bit. The whole punk thing had died off and it was by then more about looking stupid (i seem to remember the clash themselves had some pretty ridiculous hair cuts during those last gigs) and it all seemed a bit sad by then. Stopped listening to them completely for a few decades even.
Anyway if anyone has any other versions of scottish gigs I'd appreciate knowing.
I have some damned and jam gigs too if anyone would be interested.
Steven,

ps; at some of the gigs on the early tours there was a support band full of sexy girls. I cannot remember the name. Anyone know?
From the start, it didn't really have the ring of truth around it, did it?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

You're right. Who'd use the excuse of moving house for finding old tapes?!

electric-magic
Corner Soul

Post by electric-magic »

MJ!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Exactly!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

electric-magic wrote:MJ!
And little old ladies who hoard from West End flea markets.

charade
Corner Soul

Post by charade »

It seems like a pretty sound story actually.

I dunno, like, you have to realize that demanding people immediately rip and post sets when new bits come-up, especially to a non-currently obsessive fan, is sort of...off-putting.

I see it on the Joy Division board I go on as well.

Like, some will mention a snippet of a rehearsal tape that they were given years ago and if it's not in the list of known-boots people go crazy:

"CAN YOU POST THIS RIGHT NOW PLEASE MATE"

And then, like here, if they person drops off for whatever reason the slagging begins to the point where now you are all telling yourself it was a big story.

To what end exactly? Like a fellow just thought he would come on her and spin a detailed yarn about shows he's taped? For...fun?

There's could be a million reasons why it's not 1-A on their to-do list.

A shame but...

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

charade wrote:It seems like a pretty sound story actually.
Yeah, totally believable.
because since i first posted about them here Ive had incredible financial offers for them.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?