Stand up recs

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Stand up recs

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I find Dave Chapelle to be criminally underrated.
I always thought he was pretty highly regarded. Maybe it's with you young whippersnappers, since he sort of purposely crashed his career while he was on top.

I think he's great. An occasional dud bit here and there, but mostly quite excellent.
I've only seen his Fillmore special which was good. Yeah, his tv show is legendary (and rightly so, I believe), so I can't see him as being underrated.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
I always thought he was pretty highly regarded. Maybe it's with you young whippersnappers, since he sort of purposely crashed his career while he was on top.

I think he's great. An occasional dud bit here and there, but mostly quite excellent.
I've only seen his Fillmore special which was good. Yeah, his tv show is legendary (and rightly so, I believe), so I can't see him as being underrated.
He's made very little headway over here. For years, I just knew him as the irritating stand-up in The Nutty Professor. Yesterday, I spent about two hours laughing really hard at everything of his on YouTube.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

He's made very little headway over here. For years, I just knew him as the irritating stand-up in The Nutty Professor. Yesterday, I spent about two hours laughing really hard at everything of his on YouTube.
Oh, he's revered in the US and underrated in the UK? Sort of the anti-Jam, then?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

Oh, he's revered in the US and underrated in the UK? Sort of the anti-Jam, then?
The Led Zeppelin of stand up. If his was British. Nevermind, that analogy isn't that good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote: I always thought he was pretty highly regarded. Maybe it's with you young whippersnappers, since he sort of purposely crashed his career while he was on top.

The Led Zeppelin of stand up. If his was British. Nevermind, that analogy isn't that good.
Hoy:analogies :: Springsteen:enjoyable music
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Finally listened to a Louis CK album a few months ago. It was very good. I'll certainly be checking out more of his stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Jim Carrey used to be decent. Like a lifetime ago.
[youtube][/youtube]
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Somehow I ended up watching a few Andrew Dice Clay stand up routines on youtube as I went to sleep last night. He's just the worst, but I did find out that only part of his routine consisted of stupid dirty nursery rhymes. Man, the late 80's we weird.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Somehow I ended up watching a few Andrew Dice Clay stand up routines on youtube as I went to sleep last night. He's just the worst, but I did find out that only part of his routine consisted of stupid dirty nursery rhymes. Man, the late 80's we weird.
From about 1985-1991, there is almost no way to explain pop culture other than to shrug and say "you had to be there, I guess."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

matedog

Post by matedog »

I can't stop obsessing dice clay.

I went to the nurse the other day and she asked me to piss in a cup. I told her, "bitch I'd rather you give me a fucking blow job."

Puffs cigarette, crowd roars.

I really need to see Ford Fairlane now.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Since getting heavily into Mr Show (because Bob Odenkirk's so great on Breaking Bad) I've really grown in my David Cross appreciation.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:Since getting heavily into Mr Show (because Bob Odenkirk's so great on Breaking Bad) I've really grown in my David Cross appreciation.
Cross' first two comedy albums are strong (and especially his HBO special, The Pride is Back), but the last album he did was pretty weak. Likewise, his book should be avoided—it comes off as a collection of undeveloped and previously rejected ideas.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Since getting heavily into Mr Show (because Bob Odenkirk's so great on Breaking Bad) I've really grown in my David Cross appreciation.
Cross' first two comedy albums are strong (and especially his HBO special, The Pride is Back), but the last album he did was pretty weak. Likewise, his book should be avoided—it comes off as a collection of undeveloped and previously rejected ideas.
I wrote him off because of how unlikable he is, but Mr Show gave me a way into his kind of vocabulary.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I wrote him off because of how unlikable he is, but Mr Show gave me a way into his kind of vocabulary.
There was a hungrier humility about him in the 90s. He's become more of a smug liberal in the last ten years and it hasn't benefited his comedy.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There was a hungrier humility about him in the 90s. He's become more of a smug liberal in the last ten years and it hasn't benefited his comedy.
Yeah. I used to love him back in the day, but he's kind if insufferable now.